Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"krisbee" wrote:
"fibro" wrote:
I am hosting many 720p movies on a Windows 7 server running Apache. When I stream 1 movie, everything works great. However, when I start streaming 2 movies one of them will always be timing out.

Are there any suggestions on how to allow multiple movies to stream at once without timeouts?

I have two WRT160Nv3 routers connecting via WDS.

EDIT: I wonder if this is some weird limitation of Roksbox? I can stream Netflix, Netflix (on a diff TV), Hulu Plus (on a diff TV), and movies from my Roksbox (on yet a diff TV) with no issue... but 2 x Roksbox fails.

Double check your settings on your computer that you have 100 full duplex. If you only had 10 half, that would certainly time out if you were streaming two things. Also, priority settings perhaps? It is the pipe out of your computer, not your routers or rokus I think where your issue lies.

Even a flaky ethernet cable can be to blame - many are not wired correctly and suffer as a result (there is a certain pattern wires need to follow, not just pin to pin but certain ones are suppose to twist a certain way as well, and I find even bought cables are not done correctly).

Hi, Krisbee -- which priority settings are you referring to? I've spent $150 on buying Ethernet over Powerline adapters and it seems to have made no difference. I'm still verifying that they are optimally configured, I don't have 'dirty electrical' in the house and so on, but if you can provide some advice about the source server then that would be great.

I've already confirmed the network adapter is set to 100/full in the network adapter settings.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Well, some priority settings sometimes can be set in your router - usually under the banner of QoS (quality of service) where certain traffic gets a boost over others.

If you can scrounge two laptops or so - stream a stream of different material to each - if you see that there is an issue, you know it is the server/computer offering up the data and not the Rokus. Try it both wireless and wired - if it just happens wireless then you should know there is an issue there as well.

When you run a server, there is priority in the program as well - you should be launching apache with the highest priority if not done already - if it is competing with other processes, it might cause a bottleneck that would cause this issue as well. Do a google search on that and you will find multiple ways.

Also, these 720p files - if they are converted blu-rays that are 20gb in size, running two of them would of course cause an issue probably as well.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"krisbee" wrote:
Well, some priority settings sometimes can be set in your router - usually under the banner of QoS (quality of service) where certain traffic gets a boost over others.

If you can scrounge two laptops or so - stream a stream of different material to each - if you see that there is an issue, you know it is the server/computer offering up the data and not the Rokus. Try it both wireless and wired - if it just happens wireless then you should know there is an issue there as well.

When you run a server, there is priority in the program as well - you should be launching apache with the highest priority if not done already - if it is competing with other processes, it might cause a bottleneck that would cause this issue as well. Do a google search on that and you will find multiple ways.

Also, these 720p files - if they are converted blu-rays that are 20gb in size, running two of them would of course cause an issue probably as well.

Thanks, Krisbee. I'm familiar with changing process priorities so I'll try that. I'll also try the double-laptop method to isolate where my issue is.

Also, some of my movies are blu-rays and some are DVD - but my largest encoded bluray is 3G in size.

I'll let you know how the testing goes.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Roksbox registration is a mess.

I've setup a Roksbox account Name,user name,email,password and verified by clicking the link in my e-mail.

The problem is when I try and pay the $12.95 fee it fails when going to PayPal,When I go to "roksbox.com/register" to enter the 6 digit code from the Roku Roksbox app it goes to the same pay screen and fails to go to PayPal. Basically I'm stuck in a loop. Smiley Sad

Any suggestions ??
ROKU Premiere Plus
ROKU 4
ROKU 3
Tablo OTA DVR
Samsung 4K UHD TV
Hisense 4K TV
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"fibro" wrote:
I am hosting many 720p movies on a Windows 7 server running Apache. When I stream 1 movie, everything works great. However, when I start streaming 2 movies one of them will always be timing out.

Are there any suggestions on how to allow multiple movies to stream at once without timeouts?

EDIT: I wonder if this is some weird limitation of Roksbox? I can stream Netflix, Netflix (on a diff TV), Hulu Plus (on a diff TV), and movies from my Roksbox (on yet a diff TV) with no issue... but 2 x Roksbox fails.

Some of the default values in the Apache httpd.conf file are not correct for Windows. Try adding the following values to your Apache httpd.conf file.

EnableSendfile Off
EnableMMap Off
Win32DisableAcceptEx

After you save the httpd.conf file, restart Apache and see if this makes any difference.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Matt9876" wrote:
Roksbox registration is a mess.

I've setup a Roksbox account Name,user name,email,password and verified by clicking the link in my e-mail.

The problem is when I try and pay the $12.95 fee it fails when going to PayPal,When I go to "roksbox.com/register" to enter the 6 digit code from the Roku Roksbox app it goes to the same pay screen and fails to go to PayPal. Basically I'm stuck in a loop. Smiley Sad

Any suggestions ??

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but it looks like you are registered now. Let me know if you still have problems.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but it looks like you are registered now. Let me know if you still have problems.

Thanks, Next day PayPal processed payment as it should, Now in the process of setting up a home server for Roksbox, Wish me luck. Smiley Happy
ROKU Premiere Plus
ROKU 4
ROKU 3
Tablo OTA DVR
Samsung 4K UHD TV
Hisense 4K TV
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I just finished a kick butt XP home server for Roksbox that captures all my CBS shows (NCIS,NCISLA,Local News,Hawaii 5-0,Glades,etc) off the antenna in 16x9 ratio, auto converts them and places them correctly on the server for viewing over the Roku. Smiley Very Happy

Used MSI-PVS capture card,Win DVR 3,Drop Folders with Hand Brake.

I wish to thank you all for the good advice !
ROKU Premiere Plus
ROKU 4
ROKU 3
Tablo OTA DVR
Samsung 4K UHD TV
Hisense 4K TV
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:
"fibro" wrote:

Some of the default values in the Apache httpd.conf file are not correct for Windows. Try adding the following values to your Apache httpd.conf file.

EnableSendfile Off
EnableMMap Off
Win32DisableAcceptEx

After you save the httpd.conf file, restart Apache and see if this makes any difference.

I still have more testing to do but it certainly seems to be an improvement. I can stream two converted blurays at once (at least for the last 5 minutes its been okay). When I fire up a 3rd I start to see them stop playing and reload, etc...

Can Roksbox buffer more data before playing or something else so it has a better tolerance for situations like this?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"fibro" wrote:

I still have more testing to do but it certainly seems to be an improvement. I can stream two converted blurays at once (at least for the last 5 minutes its been okay). When I fire up a 3rd I start to see them stop playing and reload, etc...

Can Roksbox buffer more data before playing or something else so it has a better tolerance for situations like this?

This can be one of a few issues.

1) Your hard drive cannot keep up. Make sure that your hard drives are in AHCI mode. Buffering only works on the player side to minimize bitrate changes and mild network fluctuations.
http://www.google.com/search?q=ahci+mode+windows+7

2) Your network connection is saturated. I'm seeing that you are doing this using wireless with two WRT160Nv3 routers connected via WDS and are also using Ethernet over Powerline. Look into changing, at your own risk, the default MTU for Win7:
http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+7+max+mtu

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/42572-can-i-change-mtu.html

Also make sure that the frequency that you are using for your wireless access points isn't interfering with itself. Some wireless phones can wreak havoc on some WiFi bands.
http://www.google.com/search?q=wap+interference

3) The bitrate for your transcoded Blu-Ray content is too high.

For proper bitrate calculation please consult the following link and pay special attention to item number 24:
http://helixforum.realnetworks.com/helix_help_center/topics/what_are_some_best_practices_for_encodin...

For home content creation I do the following:
1) Detect the width, height and frames per second of the content.

2) Detect the crop of the content. This included edge cropping. There is rarely a valid reason to leave black bars on a video.

3) Get the post crop bitrate using the formula above. W * H * FPS / 1024 * .150 == X Kbpps

For example:
1920 x 1080 x 23.970 /1024 * .150 == 7280.8875Kbps
720 x 480 x 23.976 / 1024 * .150 == 1213.785Kbps
720 x 384 x 29.970 / 1024 * .150 == 1213.785Kbps
720 x 480 x 29.970 / 1024 * .150 == 1517.23125

4) Do two pass encoding to high profile unless you are delivering to a mobile phone, then use baseline or main depending upon the phone.

5) With two pass encoding make sure that your maximum bitrate is 2x the target bitrate and the minimum bitrate is 1/2 the target bitrate.

6) I can make the case for a quality based encode (vs bitrate based) but not for streaming. Network spikes will saturate your network and starve your player.

7) Check the quality of your input and output video with the MSU Video Quality Measurement Tool:
http://compression.ru/video/quality_measure/video_measurement_tool_en.html

You should now see how easy it is to saturate a network if your available bandwidth is exceeded. This will happen more often with two pass (VBR) encoding than with single pass (CBR) Always take into account for 20 to 30 percent overhead on your network at a minimum.

If you build the right environment (FFMPEG, MediaInfo CLI, MP4Box and the scripting environment of your choice) you will see horrific things like this in a VOB file:

1) It may report as 29.970fps but it is actually 23.970fps. This happens most often when Mediainfo reports it as neither interlaced nor progressive. See also Telecine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine

2) It may report as 29.970fps interlaced but most of the movie will be 23.970 progressive.

3) Progressive content with interlaced scene changes happen.

There is no one good answer for all scenarios. After having seen more things wrong with content than I thought possible I now realize that DVD content must be farmed out to either the lowest bidder or the new guy/intern down the hall.

In all cases expect that frames will be both dropped and duplicated to fix issues like this to retain the proper bit per pixel density and get a fixed frame rate. I have not seen any of those issues in any Blu-Ray content to date. Okay, perhaps one dropped or duped frame on occasion but nothing to write home about.

To wrap it up, look at your network as the bottleneck and then look at your encoding settings.
0 Kudos