Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

+1
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"HarryDymond" wrote:
As I alluded to in my earlier posts, now that the Roku LT has been announced in the UK I was beginning to consider it for audio streaming duties. I was hoping that in combination with the iOS remote control app, I wouldn't have to have the Roku connected to a screen (apart from initial setup).

I had assumed that the remote would be similar to Apple's "remote" app for iTunes/AppleTV, but looking at screenshots in the iTunes app store that appears to not be the case. Using the Roksbox channel and the iOS remote app, would it be possible to select an album to play on the Roku without having the Roku connected to a monitor?

the iOS remote apps allow you to select a channel to enter but can not duplicate the screens within a channel so there is no way to see where you might be navigating to within a channel
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"stratcat96" wrote:
the iOS remote apps allow you to select a channel to enter but can not duplicate the screens within a channel so there is no way to see where you might be navigating to within a channel

Smiley Sad That sucks! Here's to hoping that the AppleTV 3 doesn't resample everything to 48 kHz...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"HarryDymond" wrote:
"stratcat96" wrote:

Smiley Sad That sucks! Here's to hoping that the AppleTV 3 doesn't resample everything to 48 kHz...

If you can control whatever music application you're using on your server from your phone, you can stream to the Roku without needing to see the screen. It's not possible with Roksbox, but it is with the SHOUTcast channel or a similar channel. Windows only, not sure how to do it with Mac. I don't want to hijack this thread, so if there's any further discussion about my post please post in one of the threads I linked to.
Roku Express 3900RW software v8.10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"hozedhead" wrote:
If you can control whatever music application you're using on your server from your phone, you can stream to the Roku without needing to see the screen. It's not possible with Roksbox, but it is with the SHOUTcast channel or a similar channel. Windows only, not sure how to do it with Mac. I don't want to hijack this thread, so if there's any further discussion about my post please post in one of the threads I linked to.

Despite your request I think it best to simply reply here as I don't expect the conversation to go further...

Thanks for your post. I prefer not to use that method as it increases the CPU load on the server and it doesn't scale easily to multiple clients all playing different tracks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:
"mcavins" wrote:
Hi - Sorry that I can't figure out how to use the forum and also that apparently I wasn't clear. I'm not have the problem with the tilde, I'm having mrroberts original problem of "It Works" appearing on the web server page, and no file structure. If I use the ~mcavins, then I get an empty parent directory. I followed the instructions for the Mac as best I could and that's where I'm stuck. mrroberts said that he had that problem originally, then later he said that he could now see the file structure, but it's not clear to me what he changed. There was discussion about whether the media file went in the documents file, or not, and again, there didn't seem to be a clear answer. I was hoping mrroberts could summarize what his final settings were.

Thanks!

Since mrroberts is working now, he might not be back on this forum, so I will try to help.

When you start the web server on the Mac, it creates two different websites, the computer's website, and your personal website. The computer website is located at /Library/WebServer/Documents, and your personal website is at ~/Sites. You can use either one, but probably your personal website is easier to use.

So your media files would be at either /Library/WebServer/Documents, or ~/Sites, depending on which website you want to use. I will assume you are going to use your personal website.

You might need to give read access to your personal website, so you should open a terminal window, and type the following command:

chmod 755 Sites

Place your media files in the Sites folder. If you have a media root folder called Media, your structure might look like this:

Sites
Media
Music
Photos
Videos

In this case, the Roksbox setup would be:

Media Server Address: your-website-address/%7emcavins
Media Root Folder: Media
Video Folder Path: Videos
Music Folder Path: Music
Photo Folder Path: Photos

Hopefully this will help.

Sorry, since my problem was fixed i log on here intermittently. The problem you refers to of only seeing "it works" went away after i cleared cache/rebooted
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Grid Poster Art Showing Incorrectly

Greetings,

I have a Roku LT hooked to an old SDTV. All of my movies are in subfolders with the associated poster art. I have selected "Grid Screen" hoping to get a 2x5 display of the movie poster art. Instead, I am shown only two movies at a time with the movie names in the left hand column, poster art in the middle column, and a white pop-up box that also contains the movie name in the right hand column. I have tried frugal mode on and off.

I'm new to the Roku and have exhaustively searched this forum trying to find an answer. Please help!

Thanks,

Glenn
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Grid Poster Art Showing Incorrectly

"wgcooley" wrote:
Greetings,

I have a Roku LT hooked to an old SDTV. All of my movies are in subfolders with the associated poster art. I have selected "Grid Screen" hoping to get a 2x5 display of the movie poster art. Instead, I am shown only two movies at a time with the movie names in the left hand column, poster art in the middle column, and a white pop-up box that also contains the movie name in the right hand column. I have tried frugal mode on and off.

I'm new to the Roku and have exhaustively searched this forum trying to find an answer. Please help!

Thanks,

Glenn

What does your directory structure look like below your web server root folder, and what do you have for the following Roksbox setup options?

Media Root Folder
Videos Folder Path
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

NAS users, or anyone thinking about purchasing a NAS to stream your media

We recently updated our NAS support here with instructions on setting up more NAS devices, and instructions on how to set up a NAS which isn't listed. If anyone has experience setting up a NAS with Roksbox and would like to contribute documentation, I will be glad to post it on the Roksbox site.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I seek assistance. I was running roksbox on my system just fine, no problems at all. Then I got a new computer.
I followed the instructions for setting up the Win7 server, got it to show the directory properly and there was nothing on the roku (I did reset the roku as well as restarting the computer). I followed every bit of the PDF instructions. Using no special added information for the files, nothing fancy.
When none of that worked I figured since I had it working with Mongoose I'd just do that, so I disabled the windows service and installed mongoose. With the same results. Now I can see the directory at http://localhost on my system, but nothing shows up on the roksbox channel. When I use my IP address I get my router information rather than the srever directory.

I'm sure it's something silly I'm missing, it usually is. The server is up, but roksbox isn't picking it up. When I put the IP in roksbox it accepts it without any problems. Also I have netflix and amazon video running just fine.
Thank you for any help you can provide.
0 Kudos