Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Feature Request
I have been using RB for a around 6 weeks now and am pleased. Overall, it works as advertised and makes the Roku much more useful. Currently I use it mostly for music so my comments pertain primarily to that function.

1. It would be nice if the "Skip" buttons on the Roku controller would skip to the next track. All users try this and I need to remind them to use the 4-way keypad.
2. When in the Major Categories inadvertently pressing "up" moves back to the RB main menu and requires reloading my music directories/XML file. Please disable "up" when at Major Category. That is, only the 4-way keypad works from Major Category and below while the "back" button take one back to the RB main menu.
3. Media Monkey creates an XML file which includes Artist, Album and Genre. The Major Category default is Artist with a Sub-Category of Album. The ability to rank Artist, Album and Genre for Major Category, Sub-category and Sub-sub Category would be great. Sometimes I want to hear Horowitz playing the piano and other times I only want Chopin regardless of who the performing artist is. And I always want to limit distinguish between Rock, Classical, Jazz and Opera.
4. Search function for music.

Thanks for a great product,
ron
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Just registered Roksbox after getting videos setup to work good during trial.
Now I cannot get Photo thumbnails to work correctly.

Directory setup:
    Pic_0001.jpg

Pic_0002.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Thumbnail does not show.

Directory setup:
    thumbnail.jpg

zPic_0001.jpg

zPic_0002.jpg

Thumbnail does show.

I know that if I simply re-size a pic to less than 100k for use as a thumbnail (but not naming it thumbnail.jpg) it must be first in the directory to show, but it will also be shown in the slideshow.
Do I really have to make sure that thumbnail.jpg is first in the directory if that is what I use?
What am I doing wrong? :?

Thanks - John
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"krisbee" wrote:
"Isira" wrote:
Roksbox is completely unusable if the internet connection goes down and the Roku is connected to the network via WiFi.

It'll hang on the Roksbox screen for a little while before the "Checking connection..." window comes up. Then a "Can't connect to the internet" window will pop up with "Try again" button, but no way to back out of the dialogue box; but if you wait another minute or so the box will disappear and the Roksbox home screen shows up. However when you attempt to scroll through the screen, you hear the beeps, but nothing moves. A few moments later, the "Can't connect to the internet" dialogue box shows up again.

I hope you will improve this. I was planning on purchasing Roksbox when my trial ended, but this is giving me second thoughts.

It never used to, if my memory is right - I used to be able to stream regardless of actual internet connection, though the main page would hang for almost a minute when the internet was down.

No further comments on this issue?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"hannaman" wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked already, but I couldn't find the answer. Does Roksbox use any default character encoding and if so, can it be changed? I have some directories and files that have special characters (accents, umlats, etc), but they do not show up correctly in roksbox. I am able to get them to display correctly in apache by adding "IndexOptions +Charset=UTF-8" to my .htaccess file, but it looks like roksbox doesn't respect that option.

Thanks

Give me a list of the special characters you use, and I can add them to Roksbox.
0 Kudos
Level 7

"rsokoloff" wrote:
Feature Request
I have been using RB for a around 6 weeks now and am pleased. Overall, it works as advertised and makes the Roku much more useful. Currently I use it mostly for music so my comments pertain primarily to that function.

1. It would be nice if the "Skip" buttons on the Roku controller would skip to the next track. All users try this and I need to remind them to use the 4-way keypad.
2. When in the Major Categories inadvertently pressing "up" moves back to the RB main menu and requires reloading my music directories/XML file. Please disable "up" when at Major Category. That is, only the 4-way keypad works from Major Category and below while the "back" button take one back to the RB main menu.
3. Media Monkey creates an XML file which includes Artist, Album and Genre. The Major Category default is Artist with a Sub-Category of Album. The ability to rank Artist, Album and Genre for Major Category, Sub-category and Sub-sub Category would be great. Sometimes I want to hear Horowitz playing the piano and other times I only want Chopin regardless of who the performing artist is. And I always want to limit distinguish between Rock, Classical, Jazz and Opera.
4. Search function for music.

Thanks for a great product,
ron

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can some up with for each of these.

Currently for your #2 suggestion, this is how the grid screen works now.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"JohnRH" wrote:
Just registered Roksbox after getting videos setup to work good during trial.
Now I cannot get Photo thumbnails to work correctly.

Directory setup:
    Pic_0001.jpg

Pic_0002.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Thumbnail does not show.

Directory setup:
    thumbnail.jpg

zPic_0001.jpg

zPic_0002.jpg

Thumbnail does show.

I know that if I simply re-size a pic to less than 100k for use as a thumbnail (but not naming it thumbnail.jpg) it must be first in the directory to show, but it will also be shown in the slideshow.
Do I really have to make sure that thumbnail.jpg is first in the directory if that is what I use?
What am I doing wrong? :?

Thanks - John

Are you using a web server, or are you using USB?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Isira" wrote:
"krisbee" wrote:
"Isira" wrote:
Roksbox is completely unusable if the internet connection goes down and the Roku is connected to the network via WiFi.

It'll hang on the Roksbox screen for a little while before the "Checking connection..." window comes up. Then a "Can't connect to the internet" window will pop up with "Try again" button, but no way to back out of the dialogue box; but if you wait another minute or so the box will disappear and the Roksbox home screen shows up. However when you attempt to scroll through the screen, you hear the beeps, but nothing moves. A few moments later, the "Can't connect to the internet" dialogue box shows up again.

I hope you will improve this. I was planning on purchasing Roksbox when my trial ended, but this is giving me second thoughts.

It never used to, if my memory is right - I used to be able to stream regardless of actual internet connection, though the main page would hang for almost a minute when the internet was down.

No further comments on this issue?

Let me see what I can come up with on this.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Are you using a web server, or are you using USB?

Mongoose web server on W7 Home Premium, wired Ethernet.
Roku XD & Roku2 XS

Thanks - John
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:
"hannaman" wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked already, but I couldn't find the answer. Does Roksbox use any default character encoding and if so, can it be changed? I have some directories and files that have special characters (accents, umlats, etc), but they do not show up correctly in roksbox. I am able to get them to display correctly in apache by adding "IndexOptions +Charset=UTF-8" to my .htaccess file, but it looks like roksbox doesn't respect that option.

Thanks

Give me a list of the special characters you use, and I can add them to Roksbox.

Here is a list of ones that I know I am using
ä,ë,ï,ö,ü,ÿ,é
I got around the problem by replacing non-ascii characters in my music directory and file names, but it would be nice if these would display correctly.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I saw an article in the March 2012 issue of MaximumPC about this product. I was following the steps listed there. When I got to the step about adding it to my Roku, I added the channel fine, but when I go to it on the Roku it says my 30 day trial has expired. Now I will gladly pay the 15 bucks once I see this thing work, but I'd like a trial period to see if it actually does work before I plunk down said 15 bucks. This is the only place I could find on the whole roksbox.com website where I could even contact anyone.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos