Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"MrBiggz" wrote:
I did some digging and found the one you stated from the above .. that'll work! But check this one out ...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1262784&CatId=30 NOTE! -> Amazon has this for $87
ZyXEL NSA210 Media Server - 1x 3.5" Bay, Network Storage Server, No OS. From what I was reading you put your own OS on it! Be windows or linux. I'd go with linux for obvious reasons! First being stability and the second being cost overhead! I have to do some more reading on how you get the OS on the NAS. I'm assuming by the USB port. Probably have to either dump the installation cd/dvd on a flash drive or perhaps it's smart enough to read the image file. Don't know at this point. And of course you'd have to through in your own HDD. So it's still looking to be about $240. But in my humble opinion this option leaves you with a lot of room for options! Especially for what the NAS can be used for!

Thanks for all the great help here! Good friendly group!

That sounds nice. $240 for a 2TB NAS is not bad. If it runs a web server, then it should work with Roksbox. I can't guarantee that it will work with Roksbox since I don't know anyone who has tried it, but if it doesn't work for some reason, I will work with you to try to make it work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"MrBiggz" wrote:

I did some digging and found the one you stated from the above .. that'll work! But check this one out ...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1262784&CatId=30 NOTE! -> Amazon has this for $87
ZyXEL NSA210 Media Server - 1x 3.5" Bay, Network Storage Server, No OS. From what I was reading you put your own OS on it! Be windows or linux. I'd go with linux for obvious reasons! First being stability and the second being cost overhead! I have to do some more reading on how you get the OS on the NAS. I'm assuming by the USB port. Probably have to either dump the installation cd/dvd on a flash drive or perhaps it's smart enough to read the image file. Don't know at this point. And of course you'd have to through in your own HDD. So it's still looking to be about $240. But in my humble opinion this option leaves you with a lot of room for options! Especially for what the NAS can be used for!

Thanks for all the great help here! Good friendly group!

I would take a pass on this one if I were you. It's been around for 2&1/2 years and only 10 reviews on Amazon, half of which are 3 stars or less. A better idea would be to invest in a server made by a well-known established company which has received a lot of positive feedback.
Roku Express 3900RW software v8.10
0 Kudos
Level 7

Yeah, I always just leave my computer on anyway, so that is my server here... With all the transcoding you might be doing, it will be on anyway Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Is there a way subtitle handling can be changed to be a bit more efficient? Preferably, using subtitles already embedded in an .mp4 container, or giving the option to disable subtitles for a particular video, even if there's a corresponding .srt file.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"BinaryMn" wrote:
Is there a way subtitle handling can be changed to be a bit more efficient? Preferably, using subtitles already embedded in an .mp4 container, or giving the option to disable subtitles for a particular video, even if there's a corresponding .srt file.

Unfortunately, the Roku SDK doesn't provide the ability to use subtitles already embedded in the file. Being able to disable subtitles where a .srt file exists is a good idea. I will make this change in a future version.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I apologize if this question has been answered, but it's hard to dig through thousands of posts even with search. I'm looking for a way to use XML to organize the display order of videos within a subcategory only, for example:

I want "The Game" to come before "Green Lantern." How would I do this with XML?
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I expect this sounds like a dumb problem, but I haven’t been able to get music poster art or photo thumbnails to display. The music and photos play/display OK. Video poster files display OK in the video folders. I’ve tried every combination of location and file name variations I can think of based on the Website instructions and looked through the forum to see if this has been discussed before, with no luck.

Using Roku 2 XS, directly-connected USB drive config.
Not using .xml files, using directory structure format.
Music poster file is 300 x 300 .jpg. I have also tried 200 x 200.
Photo thumbnail is less than 100K.

Music folder:
Can you tell me exactly where to put the file for this music album, the exact file name, and the recommended file parameters (size, etc.) for this music example:
/media/music/Calexio/The Black Light/<mp3 files>

Photo folder:
Can you tell me exactly where to put the file for this photo album, the exact file name, and the recommended file parameters (size, etc.) for this photo example:
/media/photos/Holidays 2011/<.jpg files>

Thanks, Russell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"rookuurussell" wrote:

Music folder:
Can you tell me exactly where to put the file for this music album, the exact file name, and the recommended file parameters (size, etc.) for this music example:
/media/music/Calexio/The Black Light/<mp3 files>

Basically, you just put the cover art or whatever you want displayed in the same folder with the mp3 files and name the image folder.jpg. For your example, you can put the folder.jpg file in the "The Black Light" folder. I'm not sure what the optimal size is, but the one pictured here displays fine for me:

The folder.jpg file is 982kb.

The cover art will also display if it's in the metadata of the mp3 files.

I haven't used the photo function of Roksbox so I can't be of any help there.
Roku Express 3900RW software v8.10
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"hozedhead" wrote:
"rookuurussell" wrote:

Basically, you just put the cover art or whatever you want displayed in the same folder with the mp3 files and name the image folder.jpg. For your example, you can put the folder.jpg file in the "The Black Light" folder. I'm not sure what the optimal size is, but the one pictured here displays fine for me:

Thanks, that works fine. I don't know why I had problems , I tried using the folder.jpg before, maybe there was some other problem with the file I was trying. Or maybe "positive thinking" knowing for sure I was doing it right!

Photos work the same with thumbnail.jpg.

Russell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I had been using the official USB channel for a couple months until I discovered Roksbox this week. It is everything I had hoped the official channel would be and more. I plan on registering this weekend. Excellent work.
0 Kudos