Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"deckard0" wrote:
Thanks!
Turning off WIndows Firewall worked but I don't want to leave it off for security reasons.

if you have a router between you and the outside internet there's no need for a software firewall unless you're trying to stop a someone in the house from hacking into your computer on the local subnet. Smiley Happy
:: Mark
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

I am having trouble getting Roksbox to see my media. After selecting My Videos it starts to parse for about 3 seconds and then just returns me to the main page with the My Video, My Music and the other main options. Photos and Music parses for about a minute but then returns me to the main page. (I am only really concerned about showing videos at this time. I only have about 30 files but I have a ton of music and photos so I feel like it is parsing something)

I am running IIS6 on XP. I can go to a browser on several computers and browse my directories by going to the host name or the IP address. It does prompt me to login and I am using the administrator account. I don't have to enter a port.

In IIS my local path is set to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents and my files are organized like this.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Videos *with the movie files directly in this folder
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music *with the music files in itunes directory structure
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures *with pictures in sub folders under this.

When setting up Roksbox it gave me a 401 error when trying to connect to the IP address even if I tried it with port 80. (I don't know what port it is actually using but I believe 80 is the standard. 401 is a "You are not authorized to view this page" so I don't know if it is finding the site but giving that error because it is not logging in). I get no error when connecting to the host name without a port. There is no media folder defined and I tried it setting the video folder to both 'My Video' and 'My%20Video' but neither work. (did the same with pictures and music). I am not using any XML file and set Roksbox for directory structure. I setup login with the administrator ID and I gave it administrator permissions.

Not sure what other info to provide. Do I have to use the IP address and a port? Do I need to use 'My Videos' or 'My%20Videos'? Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"asellars" wrote:

It does prompt me to login and I am using the administrator account.

this is likely the problem. Play with your permissions until you can use any computer on your network without providing login credentials. OR you could setup basic authentication on IIS and the give Roksbox it's own account credentials.(I set up basic authentication on my network, it was really easy)

Find a link to the IIS tutorial here: http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=71
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"midiwall" wrote:
"deckard0" wrote:
Thanks!
Turning off WIndows Firewall worked but I don't want to leave it off for security reasons.

if you have a router between you and the outside internet there's no need for a software firewall unless you're trying to stop a someone in the house from hacking into your computer on the local subnet. Smiley Happy


Here is a link that should help with the firewall exception: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/542-windows-firewall-add-remove-exception.html

I like the firewall turned on just so I can feel better, especially when running a server.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"asellars" wrote:
I am having trouble getting Roksbox to see my media. After selecting My Videos it starts to parse for about 3 seconds and then just returns me to the main page with the My Video, My Music and the other main options. Photos and Music parses for about a minute but then returns me to the main page. (I am only really concerned about showing videos at this time. I only have about 30 files but I have a ton of music and photos so I feel like it is parsing something)

I am running IIS6 on XP. I can go to a browser on several computers and browse my directories by going to the host name or the IP address. It does prompt me to login and I am using the administrator account. I don't have to enter a port.

In IIS my local path is set to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents and my files are organized like this.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Videos *with the movie files directly in this folder
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music *with the music files in itunes directory structure
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures *with pictures in sub folders under this.

When setting up Roksbox it gave me a 401 error when trying to connect to the IP address even if I tried it with port 80. (I don't know what port it is actually using but I believe 80 is the standard. 401 is a "You are not authorized to view this page" so I don't know if it is finding the site but giving that error because it is not logging in). I get no error when connecting to the host name without a port. There is no media folder defined and I tried it setting the video folder to both 'My Video' and 'My%20Video' but neither work. (did the same with pictures and music). I am not using any XML file and set Roksbox for directory structure. I setup login with the administrator ID and I gave it administrator permissions.

Not sure what other info to provide. Do I have to use the IP address and a port? Do I need to use 'My Videos' or 'My%20Videos'? Any ideas?


According to what you have said, your Roksbox settings should be:

Media Root Folder:
Video Folder Path: My Videos
Music Folder Path: My Music
Photo Folder Path: My Pictures

Is this how you have it set up?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Alright folks, I need help. I'm fairly new at this and I am screwing it up royally. First, my setup:

-Liksys E4200 w/3TB HDD setup as NAS. Linksys E4200 instalsl Twonky Media for the server
-I have verified that it supports directory browsing. My PS3 can detect and load media just fine. I can pull up the web portal for the server via any connected device on my network.
-I was able to load the media (same directory structure) via a USB flash drive, and Roksbox played it fine.

So, with that said, the problem is how I'm configuring my media server, and how Roksbox detects it. However, Roksbox will NOT go off of directory browsing like the PS3, and this is seemingly configured correctly.

So, during the setup wizard, I've found that my server address is 192.168.1.1:9000. Even though I have a "Media" folder in my root directory, my root directory is simply "/" and I cannot seem to be able to change this. Putting movies/photos/music inside of the root directory, Media, or any subfolder produces no visible results. Roksbox simply will not load them.

So, I know that I am doing something (or many things) wrong. Please educate me, or point me to any links that would help me. I've used Google to no avail.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"RockyFord" wrote:
"asellars" wrote:

It does prompt me to login and I am using the administrator account.

this is likely the problem. Play with your permissions until you can use any computer on your network without providing login credentials. OR you could setup basic authentication on IIS and the give Roksbox it's own account credentials.(I set up basic authentication on my network, it was really easy)

Find a link to the IIS tutorial here: http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=71


That was the issue. Changed IIS back to anonymous login and it worked. Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"WilDD" wrote:
"asellars" wrote:
I am having trouble getting Roksbox to see my media. After selecting My Videos it starts to parse for about 3 seconds and then just returns me to the main page with the My Video, My Music and the other main options. Photos and Music parses for about a minute but then returns me to the main page. (I am only really concerned about showing videos at this time. I only have about 30 files but I have a ton of music and photos so I feel like it is parsing something)

I am running IIS6 on XP. I can go to a browser on several computers and browse my directories by going to the host name or the IP address. It does prompt me to login and I am using the administrator account. I don't have to enter a port.

In IIS my local path is set to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents and my files are organized like this.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Videos *with the movie files directly in this folder
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music *with the music files in itunes directory structure
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures *with pictures in sub folders under this.

When setting up Roksbox it gave me a 401 error when trying to connect to the IP address even if I tried it with port 80. (I don't know what port it is actually using but I believe 80 is the standard. 401 is a "You are not authorized to view this page" so I don't know if it is finding the site but giving that error because it is not logging in). I get no error when connecting to the host name without a port. There is no media folder defined and I tried it setting the video folder to both 'My Video' and 'My%20Video' but neither work. (did the same with pictures and music). I am not using any XML file and set Roksbox for directory structure. I setup login with the administrator ID and I gave it administrator permissions.

Not sure what other info to provide. Do I have to use the IP address and a port? Do I need to use 'My Videos' or 'My%20Videos'? Any ideas?


According to what you have said, your Roksbox settings should be:

Media Root Folder:
Video Folder Path: My Videos
Music Folder Path: My Music
Photo Folder Path: My Pictures

Is this how you have it set up?


Yeah, that is what I have. Thought that the issue might have been the space in the name but it was the authentication on IIS. Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"cmiller74" wrote:
"scollins01" wrote:
"mwp2295" wrote:
Does anyone know if Roksbox will support the new mkv file format that the roku now supports? If I put my mkv files on a hard drive and play from there via the roku usb port, then they work great, but roksbox only recognizes my mp4 files for network streaming.


I too would like to see this.


This would be wonderful....


Ditto here. Just spent several hours today trying to get Roksbox working with my new NAS (even paid for it today because my trial had ended months ago -- was just tinkering at the time), only to find out that all the MKV files I was intending to play are not supported by Roksbox at this time! :shock:

Guess I'll need to stick with my little external 500GB USB drive for now.

Should I contact Roku and submit a Feature Request?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"jasonkresge" wrote:
Alright folks, I need help. I'm fairly new at this and I am screwing it up royally. First, my setup:

-Liksys E4200 w/3TB HDD setup as NAS. Linksys E4200 instalsl Twonky Media for the server
-I have verified that it supports directory browsing. My PS3 can detect and load media just fine. I can pull up the web portal for the server via any connected device on my network.
-I was able to load the media (same directory structure) via a USB flash drive, and Roksbox played it fine.

So, with that said, the problem is how I'm configuring my media server, and how Roksbox detects it. However, Roksbox will NOT go off of directory browsing like the PS3, and this is seemingly configured correctly.

So, during the setup wizard, I've found that my server address is 192.168.1.1:9000. Even though I have a "Media" folder in my root directory, my root directory is simply "/" and I cannot seem to be able to change this. Putting movies/photos/music inside of the root directory, Media, or any subfolder produces no visible results. Roksbox simply will not load them.

So, I know that I am doing something (or many things) wrong. Please educate me, or point me to any links that would help me. I've used Google to no avail.



I'm not sure this will work for Roksbox in this configuration.
1. Twonky Media is not an HTTP server, it does DLNA and UPNP. Roksbox needs HTTP. So it looks like there is nothing being served over HTTP from your NAS.
2. The PS3 and your windows boxes will all work because they all support DLNA.
3. To make this work you need to find some way to install a server that will serve HTTP pages. I don't know what to suggest to fix this other then set up a server on a computer that can access the NAS and serve the videos from there.

Sorry
0 Kudos