Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JSW
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"krisbee" wrote:
I assume they are the same type of Roku's, otherwise you would have said, but I just want to make sure they aren't a mix of Roku 1 and Roku 2's.

None of them are the Roku 2, but there is a mix in them. I have two of the newer style XDs, one older style XD and one of the newer style XDS. Again, when I say newer style I don't mean Roku 2, but the latest Roku 1 style.

The two that work right now are one of the newer style XD and the older style XD. The two that don't work are one of the newer style XD and the newer style XDS. I'm not sure exactly when the two stopped working because they are on a kitchen and basement TV which don't get used as much for Roksbox.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"JSW" wrote:
"krisbee" wrote:
I assume they are the same type of Roku's, otherwise you would have said, but I just want to make sure they aren't a mix of Roku 1 and Roku 2's.

None of them are the Roku 2, but there is a mix in them. I have two of the newer style XDs, one older style XD and one of the newer style XDS. Again, when I say newer style I don't mean Roku 2, but the latest Roku 1 style.

The two that work right now are one of the newer style XD and the older style XD. The two that don't work are one of the newer style XD and the newer style XDS. I'm not sure exactly when the two stopped working because they are on a kitchen and basement TV which don't get used as much for Roksbox.

A couple of things to try:

Check the ip address of each one to see if you have a duplicate ip address.
Move one that doesn't work to where one is that does work and see if that makes a difference.

Are they hard wired, or wireless?
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

Hard resetting them is not necessary - it won't do anything I think in this case. You don't happen to know the spec of the file, do you? Sometimes the roku's are very picky, and I find that I always have to have the framerate at 29.97 to play properly. Even though the audio can be mp3, I also find that aac is easier to have work every time.

Though the Rokus can play divx/xvid files in an mp4 container (not advertised usually), again, I find h264 always works, while the former can give spotty results. Having said that, most of my encodes are xvid due to the speed at which I can transcode that over h264. Smiley Happy

If these are high bitrate, blu ray rips, or anything like that, it is possible to max out on any roku, and it seems the later generation is having the issue if this is the case.

Interesting.
0 Kudos
JSW
Level 7

Each has its own IP address - I've given them fixed addresses so that they are all grouped together on my router. My entire home network is hardwired.

I've used HandBrake to encode all my files, so they were created as .m4v and renamed to .mp4. By default, I'm encoding all my movies at 29.97 fps because I'd read there could be a rebuffer problem around the one hour mark otherwise. I do encode my TV DVDs at their native frame rate because they are rarely over an hour and I don't see a need to insert additional frames. I haven't tried to look at a TV show; I've just been trying movies. I'm also using h264 and AAC.

Most of the movies are standard DVD, although a few are blu-ray. I have put a lot of effort into ripping my entire collection over the past several months. I don't have an exact count, but I'd say I easily have 500 movies or more and a number of entire TV series. All told, I'm sure I have well over 1,000 movie files as well as a thumbnail, movie sheet and xml file (I'm using the directory structure to parse my collection instead of having one large xml file) for each. The total video directory is running about 1.4TB right now, all on one drive. I don't know if any of this could be an issue - from posts I've seen it doesn't seem like I have an extraordinarily large collection set up.

I'm at work now, but I can try swapping the Rokus around when I get home. Any other ideas?
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

Yeah, just in case, make a new directory folder, move one of the trouble files and see if it plays. This should make absolutely no difference, but it will be good to eliminate it from the possibilities.

Then, as Wildd suggested, swap rokus with the trouble locations to confirm it is the units that have and issue and not the locations.

Oh, and I had an issue with an xml file displaying when it had an ampersand, though this isn't an issue, just make sure the file is named something unspectacular. Again, this should make no difference, but you have to start small and eliminate these issues.

Recently, with another private channel I was trying to set up, many man hours were spent trying to decipher php and xml code, installations, setting for it to finally all come down to a time zone not being set that caused an issue. It almost always something small like that where these things fall apart.
0 Kudos
hozedhead
Level 7

"JSW" wrote:
Any other ideas?

If I try to play a movie that's encoded with 5.1 and the Roku is set to stereo, Roksbox won't play it. Are all of your Roku's set up the same with audio?
Roku Express 3900RW software v8.10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
JSW
Level 7

"hozedhead" wrote:
If I try to play a movie that's encoded with 5.1 and the Roku is set to stereo, Roksbox won't play it. Are all of your Roku's set up the same with audio?

That's a great suggestion. The two Rokus that are working are in our bedroom and family room, both on full A/V systems. The kitchen Roku is just on a TV; the basement Roku is on an A/V system, but I'm not sure how that one is set up. I had started encoding all my movies with 5.1 and stereo, but I knew that size would become an issue so I dropped the stereo track because it saved 5% or better on the file size.

Do you happen to know if there are any issues setting a Roku to 5.1 even though it's only connected to a TV? It is connected by a HDMI cable.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
atheling
Level 7

"JSW" wrote:
Do you happen to know if there are any issues setting a Roku to 5.1 even though it's only connected to a TV? It is connected by a HDMI cable.

Thanks!

I believe that if you are connected by HDMI and set to 5.1, then the Roku 2 will do "pass through". If the TV that is getting the 5.1 can't decode it then you will have issues with the sound.
0 Kudos
hozedhead
Level 7

"JSW" wrote:

Thanks!

No problem, glad I could help. I don't use HDMI (old TVs), but when I take the Roku upstairs and plug it in to my TV with the Yellow-Red-White connectors, Roksbox will play the video if I have it set to 5.1 but there is no audio.
0 Kudos
hozedhead
Level 7

"JSW" wrote:
I had started encoding all my movies with 5.1 and stereo, but I knew that size would become an issue so I dropped the stereo track because it saved 5% or better on the file size.

I've been told that size doesn't matter! Smiley Surprisedops:
But seriously, that's what I do. I can watch the movie either way if I have 2 audio tracks. However the stereo track doesn't work if it's AC3 passthru for some reason. It works fine with AAC, though. It's also pretty useful if you like to listen to the commentary track from DVDs.
0 Kudos