Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amulek
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"WilDD" wrote:
When you enter your ip address from a web browser, what shows up on the screen first?

When I enter my IP address from my web browser, the very first screen shows:

Index of /
- Media/

I've set my document root (and Directory) in the Apache config file to be "C:/www". I have the "www" directory set up directly on the root of C on my machine. Inside that directory is the "Media" folder, and inside that directory are the following three folders: Music | Photos | Videos.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"Amulek" wrote:
"WilDD" wrote:
When you enter your ip address from a web browser, what shows up on the screen first?

When I enter my IP address from my web browser, the very first screen shows:

Index of /
- Media/

I've set my document root (and Directory) in the Apache config file to be "C:/www". I have the "www" directory set up directly on the root of C on my machine. Inside that directory is the "Media" folder, and inside that directory are the following three folders: Music | Photos | Videos.

According to this information, your Roksbox setup should be:

Media Server Address: your ip address
Media Root Folder: Media
Video Folder Path: Videos
Music Folder Path: Music
Photo Folder Path: Photos

Make sure the uppercase/lowercase are correct.

If this still doesn't work, check your firewall. You will need to either allow http, or open port 80 on your firewall.
0 Kudos
hozedhead
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:

There are two ways to do this (probably more).

Method 2

Create f:\www\media\music\zdrive\rob.

Edit your Apache httpd.conf file and make your ifModule section look like the following:

<IfModule alias_module>
#
# Redirect: Allows you to tell clients about documents that used to
# exist in your server's namespace, but do not anymore. The client
# will make a new request for the document at its new location.
# Example:
# Redirect permanent /foo http://Study-XPS.wan/bar

#
# Alias: Maps web paths into filesystem paths and is used to
# access content that does not live under the DocumentRoot.
# Example:
# Alias /webpath /full/filesystem/path
Alias /media/music/zdrive/rob //your shared machine name or ip address/share name/rob
#
# If you include a trailing / on /webpath then the server will
# require it to be present in the URL. You will also likely
# need to provide a <Directory> section to allow access to
# the filesystem path.
<Directory //your shared machine name or ip address/share name/rob>
Options Indexes MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
#
# ScriptAlias: This controls which directories contain server scripts.
# ScriptAliases are essentially the same as Aliases, except that
# documents in the target directory are treated as applications and
# run by the server when requested rather than as documents sent to the
# client. The same rules about trailing "/" apply to ScriptAlias
# directives as to Alias.
#
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:/Apache/Apache2.2/cgi-bin/"

</IfModule>

Restart Apache.

In the Roksbox Music, zdrive will show up as a folder, and your artists/albums will show up under the zdrive. When I tested this, navigation was very slow, and it crashed my Apache twice. Maybe you will have better luck.

I'm not sure I follow. Here's my new conf:

Alias /media/music/zdrive/rob //melliot2007/z/rob
#
# the filesystem path.

<Directory //melliot2007/z/rob>
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

And here's a picture of the directory on my computer:

Apache won't restart and I get the following error in event viewer:
The Apache service named reported the following error:
>>> <Directory "//melliot2007/z/rob"> path is invalid.

I'm a little foggy on naming the share correctly, I suppose. It sounds like it's not a great idea anyway if it's crashing Apache on your machine. I guess I should run Apache on the other machine. I was hoping to avoid having 2 users on Roksbox. Thanks anyhow, I really get a lot of use out of Roksbox and I haven't run across a better local streaming option for my Roku.
Roku Express 3900RW software v8.10
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"hozedhead" wrote:
"WilDD" wrote:

There are two ways to do this (probably more).

Method 2

Create f:\www\media\music\zdrive\rob.

Edit your Apache httpd.conf file and make your ifModule section look like the following:

<IfModule alias_module>
#
# Redirect: Allows you to tell clients about documents that used to
# exist in your server's namespace, but do not anymore. The client
# will make a new request for the document at its new location.
# Example:
# Redirect permanent /foo http://Study-XPS.wan/bar

#
# Alias: Maps web paths into filesystem paths and is used to
# access content that does not live under the DocumentRoot.
# Example:
Alias /media/music/zdrive/rob //your shared machine name or ip address/share name/rob
#
# the filesystem path.
<Directory //your shared machine name or ip address/share name/rob>
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
#
# ScriptAlias: This controls which directories contain server scripts.
# ScriptAliases are essentially the same as Aliases, except that
# documents in the target directory are treated as applications and
# run by the server when requested rather than as documents sent to the
# client. The same rules about trailing "/" apply to ScriptAlias
# directives as to Alias.
#
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:/Apache/Apache2.2/cgi-bin/"

</IfModule>

Restart Apache.

In the Roksbox Music, zdrive will show up as a folder, and your artists/albums will show up under the zdrive. When I tested this, navigation was very slow, and it crashed my Apache twice. Maybe you will have better luck.

I'm not sure I follow. Here's my new conf:

Alias /media/music/zdrive/rob //melliot2007/z/rob
#
# the filesystem path.

<Directory //melliot2007/z/rob>
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

Apache won't restart and I get the following error in event viewer:
The Apache service named reported the following error:
>>> <Directory "//melliot2007/z/rob"> path is invalid.

I'm a little foggy on naming the share correctly, I suppose. It sounds like it's not a great idea anyway if it's crashing Apache on your machine. I guess I should run Apache on the other machine. I was hoping to avoid having 2 users on Roksbox. Thanks anyhow, I really get a lot of use out of Roksbox and I haven't run across a better local streaming option for my Roku.

It looks like in your case you would have:

Alias /media/music/zdrive/rob //Luther/SharedDocs/rob
and
<Directory //Luther/SharedDocs/rob>
0 Kudos
hozedhead
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:

and

I give up. I tried Luther, The IP address of the machine, and Shared Documents instead of SharedDocs. Apache doesn't want to cooperate. I tried some stuff that was suggested in the Apache Lounge and that didn't work, either.

I'm gonna go with option 1
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

"hozedhead" wrote:
"WilDD" wrote:

and

I give up. I tried Luther, The IP address of the machine, and Shared Documents instead of SharedDocs. Apache doesn't want to cooperate. I tried some stuff that was suggested in the Apache Lounge and that didn't work, either.

I'm gonna go with option 1

Well, I don't get it - unless I am wrong, the Alias is what you are setting /media/music/zdrive/rob (what you want to call from your webaddress like http://192.168.1.1/media/music/zdrive/rob) and it is pointing to //Luther/SharedDocs/rob

Then, the Directory section is referred to as what you are pointing to, when it should be what you defined the alias as, right?

and, you are pointing (and defining) what you want, right? I saw Wildd mention Luther, but not you...

if there is a space, you have to define like this I believe -- //Luther/Shared\ Documents/rob
It is a forward slash then the space...

And, of course, your apache server has read access to that directory, correct?
0 Kudos
hozedhead
Level 7

"krisbee" wrote:

Well, I don't get it - unless I am wrong, the Alias is what you are setting /media/music/zdrive/rob (what you want to call from your webaddress like http://192.168.1.1/media/music/zdrive/rob) and it is pointing to //Luther/SharedDocs/rob

Then, the Directory section is referred to as what you are pointing to, when it should be what you defined the alias as, right?

and, you are pointing (and defining) what you want, right? I saw Wildd mention Luther, but not you...

if there is a space, you have to define like this I believe -- //Luther/Shared\ Documents/rob
It is a forward slash then the space...

And, of course, your apache server has read access to that directory, correct?

Yeah, WilDD got the Luther thing from the picture I showed of the directory I wanted to add. I didn't know about the forward slash and space thing. Apache is like speaking, well, er Apache to me. As far as the read access, I've got no clue.

I'm on to another solution which I've been wanting to try. The Shoutcast channel looks like it might be right for streaming music. I'll bet Winamp can read any and all shares without much trouble and it can transcode all of my non-mp3 files on the fly. I can manage the playlists on the server side, and it also uses replay gain. I'm gonna give it a try. Of course I'll still be using Roksbox for videos.
0 Kudos
kstl
Level 7

"kstl" wrote:
"sharpedge" wrote:
"kstl" wrote:
However, when I attempt http access to my NAS's IP address, I come to a page with an LG Network Storage banner, and below that it reads, "User Web Service started" and "LG NAS Management Page URL - http://[IP ADDRESS]:8000 But I don't see any file directory nor am I offered a means of authentication (i.e. login with my user name and password)

You need to focus on getting this to work, once you can view your files with http then roksbox will work just fine. What do you see if you go to http://your-ip-address:8000/VIDEOS or http://your-ip-address/VIDEOS? If you get a 404 error then you need to create aliases so that VIDEOS points to volume1/myweb/MEDIA/VIDEOS/, you can see info on creating aliases in this thread.

The same thread also has info on enabling directory listings (creating a .htaccess file) which might also be your problem, but I'd create the aliases first to see if that fixes your issue.

I think I'm almost there! Thanks, btw, to WilDD and sharpedge for their prompt and helpful responses. ...ok, so I tried putting an index.html file in the "myweb" folder and I was able to see it via http, which tells me that my IP Address is correct and now I simply have to figure out how to make the file directory visible. Now, I called LG and my NAS is not accessible with SSH, so...I made an .htaccess file with Textedit and uploaded it to the myweb folder. It contained only the one line: "Options +Indexes" (typed just so) as suggested in the thread mentioned above -- but no luck; I still receive a 404 error. I made sure that the read/write permissions for it and all other pertinent folders were ok, made sure to remove the .rtf extension, etc etc.

Any further suggestions? Like I said, I feel like I'm almost there & it's just one little thing I have left to do or fix. Thanks in advance.

Wanted to update the forum in case anyone stumbled across my posts and had similar questions. I subsequently learned about Plex and gave that a try instead--it was free, very simple to set up and, unlike Roksbox, the private Roku channel automatically searched for and linked to my Plex Media server. My media is stored on my NAS but my Plex is running on my iMac, so I have to have the computer running when I want to watch a movie on the Roku. But I hope to figure out how to move my Plex Media Server to my NAS at some point.

I am grateful to those who tried to assist me here.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
JSW
Level 7

Hi,

I have four Rokus running Roksbox, and I'm having issues with two of them. As far as I can tell, all four are configured exactly the same, and all four point to the same IP Address and directory on my server.

The problem is, while all four find and parse my video directory, when I try and play a movie on two of them, it starts to load the movie and then tells me that the file is corrupt or in an invalid format. Everything works fine on the other two Rokus. I've tried this with several movies, all of which play fine on the two Rokus, so I know it's not just a bad movie file. I've rebooted my server and the Rokus to no avail. The only other thing I can think of trying is a factory reset and completely setting them up again.

Before I go to that extreme, I wanted to see if anyone had any other thoughts or suggestions. Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

I assume they are the same type of Roku's, otherwise you would have said, but I just want to make sure they aren't a mix of Roku 1 and Roku 2's.

If the Roku 2's are having the problem, I have noticed certain files have issues. Also, I think mkv's are turned off on Roku 2's at the moment, so those files would fail as well. I assume all of that will be ironed out Smiley Happy
0 Kudos