Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

WiDD, could you please tell me what is being used to construct the filepath to the subcategory images and subcategory XML files? For instance, is it being taken from the data entered for Web Server Address + Media Root Folder + Videos Folder Path + "/images/" + Genre from XML file (or something like that)? I'm hoping if I knew exactly what the data in that variable looks like it might help me to figure out why my poster.jpg and poster.xml files aren't being found.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

WiDD;

Would it be possible to automatically create a category of "all" and just list all titles alphabetically, or maybe auto-generate sub-categories bu first letter?

A few times now I've know the movie I want to watch, but I can't figure out what category PVD has assigned to it. I usually end up heading to a computer to pull up PVD, look up the movie, note the category, then back to the Roku box to look for the flick.

Just thinkin' out loud...

Mark
:: Mark
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"midiwall" wrote:
WiDD;

Would it be possible to automatically create a category of "all" and just list all titles alphabetically, or maybe auto-generate sub-categories bu first letter?

A few times now I've know the movie I want to watch, but I can't figure out what category PVD has assigned to it. I usually end up heading to a computer to pull up PVD, look up the movie, note the category, then back to the Roku box to look for the flick.

Mark

This would even be useful for those of us that use the directory structure. However it should be optional as the initial scan of all directories could be quite time consuming.

I would also suggest (for the directory structure users) that a file (say called DontIncludeMe.txt) be allowed so that if it is found in a directory then that directory is not included in the "ALL" category. This probably should not exclude sub-directories from display.

Or, a text file with the included or excluded directories listed could be read at startup. This has the advantage of only having one extra file to deal with and the disadvantage of actually having to maintain a file rather than just placing one file in excluded directories.

Also I am unsure if the "ALL" category should go first or last.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
"midiwall" wrote:
WiDD;

Mark

This would even be useful for those of us that use the directory structure. However it should be optional as the initial scan of all directories could be quite time consuming.

I was thinking that Roksbox simply derives an "All" category out of the XML... Basically, as it passes through the XML, make a category on the side disregarding the tags that PVD (or whomever) assigned to the title.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"midiwall" wrote:
"Gilgamesh" wrote:

I was thinking that Roksbox simply derives an "All" category out of the XML... Basically, as it passes through the XML, make a category on the side fly disregarding the tags that PVD (or whomever) assigned to the title.

Yes, I knew that was what you were suggesting but there are those of us that do not use an XML but rather use the directory structure we have set and thumbgen to create Movie Sheets and nfo files for visual info.

In other words my Roksbox setup does not read any XML or other file for genre or location info it just uses the directories as categories.

I was just suggesting that there could be an extension to your idea to provide benefit to more people.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"haggie" wrote:
WiDD, could you please tell me what is being used to construct the filepath to the subcategory images and subcategory XML files? For instance, is it being taken from the data entered for Web Server Address + Media Root Folder + Videos Folder Path + "/images/" + Genre from XML file (or something like that)? I'm hoping if I knew exactly what the data in that variable looks like it might help me to figure out why my poster.jpg and poster.xml files aren't being found.

Your guess is correct. It looks for:

http://web-server-address/media-root/video-folder-path/images/subgenre/poster.jpg

if you aren't using a media root, it looks for:

http://web-server-address/video-folder-path/images/subgenre/poster.jpg

What web server are you using?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"midiwall" wrote:
WiDD;

Mark

Since you are using an XML file, you can sort of do that yourself. For each movie, create a subgenre such as [Alpha/A], [Alpha/B], [Alpha/C], etc. For example,

<title>Gone With The Wind</title>
<genre>Drama, Romance, [Alpha/G]</genre>

<title>Avatar</title>
<genre>Action, Science Fiction, [Alpha/A]</genre>

Of course, you would need to have your category order set for Alphabetical.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
"midiwall" wrote:
WiDD;

Mark

I would also suggest (for the directory structure users) that a file (say called DontIncludeMe.txt) be allowed so that if it is found in a directory then that directory is not included in the "ALL" category. This probably should not exclude sub-directories from display.

Or, a text file with the included or excluded directories listed could be read at startup. This has the advantage of only having one extra file to deal with and the disadvantage of actually having to maintain a file rather than just placing one file in excluded directories.

Also I am unsure if the "ALL" category should go first or last.

You're right, this could be time consuming to have to scan all directories. Maybe I could come up with an option where the scan doesn't happen unless the user specifically says to do it. That way it wouldn't happen every time, only when the user says to do it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:
"midiwall" wrote:
WiDD;

Mark

Since you are using an XML file, you can sort of do that yourself. For each movie, create a subgenre such as [Alpha/A], [Alpha/B], [Alpha/C], etc. For example,

<title>Avatar</title>

Hmmm.... Is it possible to do this within PVD or would I have to do it manually? The way I work now is...

• Rip a DVD

• Run it through Handbrake

• Add title to PVD

• Export XML from PVD

• Resize exported Images

• Enjoy Smiley Happy

So if this would need to be done manually, then I'd have to re-do it each time that I export from PVD. If I could do it within PVD, then I'd take the hit up-front for the 200+ movies I have now, then do it once for each new movie I add.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"midiwall" wrote:
"WilDD" wrote:
"midiwall" wrote:
WiDD;

Mark

<title>Avatar</title>

Hmmm.... Is it possible to do this within PVD or would I have to do it manually? The way I work now is...

• Rip a DVD

• Run it through Handbrake

• Add title to PVD

• Export XML from PVD

• Resize exported Images

• Enjoy Smiley Happy

So if this would need to be done manually, then I'd have to re-do it each time that I export from PVD. If I could do it within PVD, then I'd take the hit up-front for the 200+ movies I have now, then do it once for each new movie I add.

It can be done within PVD. Just edit each movie, and change the Genre. When you create the XML file, it will be there.

That will still be a lot of work for 200+ movies. I will probably have something within Roksbox to do this, but I'm not sure how it will work yet, or when it will be available.
0 Kudos