Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"Pansy" wrote:
Hi friendly helpers,

I just got my Roku XDS and got it set up and working just fine. I really want to watch some files from my computer, which is why I got the XDS instead of the cheaper model.

I found the instructions on the roksbox site to be quite helpful, and I downloaded the Mongoose server and got it to work perfectly the first time. I created the subdirectory structure as recommended and moved some movies and some music into the new structure to see how it would go.

I can see the server by looking at http://localhost from my browser.

I added the Roksbox channel and configured it to see my IP, which I verified using ipconfig. So, all that was just to prove that I tried to follow the directions... however, when I point my Roku box to Roksbox, it ask me to register or continue with trial, so I select "start roksbox", then it brings me to the menu of My Videos --> My Music... etc. When I click on any of those, it just goes to the black screen with the Roksbox logo and sits there. I was hoping for a little more action.

-------- 5 minutes later --------

OK, I did get it to work, the trick was to disable my firewall before starting Roksbox on the Roku. Now for the next question... is there a way to do this without needing to disable my firewall? I know how to open ports for different sorts of sharing, but I'm uncomfortable having to shut it off to be able to do this. Advice?

I've tried disabling my firewall, and that didn't help. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance - Amy

You can either open the port on your firewall for your web server (probably port 80), or create an exception for http. You don't need to disable your firewall though.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jackpot. I'm up and running.

WilDD, you are my hero...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Whelp. I got my videos up and running. Got to say getting that to function on my Mac was probably the least fun thing I've ever done since going to work this morning. Searching through these forums for answers was hit or miss, mostly miss. I ended up screwing around with Google searches to set up an apache server with a symbolic link and the proper permissions. The instructions on roksbox for setting up Mac are pretty bad. Would be nice if there was more detail there.

I kind of wish I could turn off the other options as I only wanted this for video... I also kind of wish categories had "All" or a simple text view that didn't lag my screen. Oh well. Glad enough at this point to have got a working solution to stream to my roku.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"benisntfunny" wrote:
I also kind of wish categories had "All" or a simple text view that didn't lag my screen.

If you're running with an XML file that's pushing images for cover art, then the lag is probably coming from the size of the images. Use something like EZThumbs to run through the "images" directory on the server and reduce them all to 200x200 or so. That'll help a LOT.

ref:
http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/
:: Mark
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"midiwall" wrote:
"benisntfunny" wrote:
I also kind of wish categories had "All" or a simple text view that didn't lag my screen.

If you're running with an XML file that's pushing images for cover art, then the lag is probably coming from the size of the images. Use something like EZThumbs to run through the "images" directory on the server and reduce them all to 200x200 or so. That'll help a LOT.

ref:
http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/

Thanks. I'll do this with automater I guess. Still wouldn't mind a simple text interface to plow through real fast and then just see the movie cover on load. It might be just be me though because I'm kind of geeky. I bet most people like the coverflow style.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"benisntfunny" wrote:
Thanks. I'll do this with automater I guess. Still wouldn't mind a simple text interface to plow through real fast and then just see the movie cover on load. It might be just be me though because I'm kind of geeky. I bet most people like the coverflow style.

Ahhh, you might wanna try removing the "videos.xml" name (in the media server UI). roksbox will then just show a list of files - but there's no cover art at all.
:: Mark
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Can I register two Roku devices to the Roksbox server/product?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"jackstrat" wrote:
Can I register two Roku devices to the Roksbox server/product?

From the authors website:

http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=80

"......There will be a one-time, lifetime registration fee. This fee will cover all Roku players within your household. Just use the same account to register any other players you have......"
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"midiwall" wrote:
"benisntfunny" wrote:

Ahhh, you might wanna try removing the "videos.xml" name (in the media server UI). roksbox will then just show a list of files - but there's no cover art at all.

No I definitely want the previews and the content that the XML provides. I just wish selecting the movie wouldn't show me a preview until the screen after the list.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Drachen808" wrote:
Well I hope someone can help me with this. I went through the instructions at http://roksbox.wikispaces.com/MyBookWorld to install apache on my wd mybook world. I followed it step by step and then I installed the channel. Then I set the web server under the channels settings to "192.168.1.91:8000". As soon as I am done with this I go to the videos icon, and all it does is say "checking for xml file", "xml file not found", "checking for youtube queue" then goes back to the main page. similar for music, and for photos.

To be quite honest (and I am sure yall figured it out), I am less than a novice on using linux. I followed the directions, step by step, but without knowing exactly what I was doing, so this makes it a little hard to troubleshoot. I would love to become an expert at this, but I currently have a lot on my plate. I would really appreciate some help from this community on what could possibly be the problem.

Thank you very much in advance.

PS I type that aforementioned IP address into a browser and it says that it is not found.

PPS is there literally supposed to be a folder that I can see on my NAS called WWW?? If that is the case, then it is not.

I am having this same problem -has anyone been able to solve this issue?

If I type into a web browser the IP address to my WD MyBookWorld (192.168.178.8:8000) I get a webpage that says "It Works!"

BUT
I don't have the Shares\Public\WWW\WWW-pub directory - Do I have to manually create these?

One of the last lines in the instructions I followed states "You should also have yourdriveletter:\WWW\WWW-pub. This is the root directory of your web server, and is where your media files should go."

BUT
I am fairly competent but can't seem to understand this instruction.
I can't seem to find this mysterious directory or create it. (I actually can through WinSCP, but doesn't appear to do anything for me)

any and all help would be most appreciated,

-Jeff
0 Kudos