Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel (Mac Web server)

"f_n_monster" wrote:
I consider myself pretty technically savy. I'm not a computer whiz but I am a lot more knowledgeable than the average person. However, I can not for the life of me get roksbox to work with my mac. Mac has a built in apache server. All you have to do is enable web sharing in "Sharing" under "Preferences". Pretty simple, right? You would think. But I can not get this to work. I just paid 15$ for this. How can I contact the developer. I need a refund or something because I am not paying for something that I can not use.

krisbee gave some good advice. First see if you can see your Mac webserver from another computer attached to your network. If you can't then either it isn't set up properly, or something is blocking it. Let us know what happens with this, then we will continue to give more advice as needed.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

need help with new roku-xd

I just received a new roku-xd box. i had roksbox on my old roku box. it worked fine. it does not work with same settings on my new roku box. can some one help ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: need help with new roku-xd

"sukalpa" wrote:
I just received a new roku-xd box. i had roksbox on my old roku box. it worked fine. it does not work with same settings on my new roku box. can some one help ?

Roksbox should work fine on the XD. Make sure your folder entries are the correct uppercase/lowercase. Also make sure that if your webserver uses a port other than 80 that you specify it on the IP address in the Roksbox setup (ex. http://192.168.1.100:8000).

If it still doesn't work, let us know what it is doing, and if you are getting an error message.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel (Mac Web server)

"f_n_monster" wrote:
I consider myself pretty technically savy. I'm not a computer whiz but I am a lot more knowledgeable than the average person. However, I can not for the life of me get roksbox to work with my mac. Mac has a built in apache server. All you have to do is enable web sharing in "Sharing" under "Preferences". Pretty simple, right? You would think. But I can not get this to work. I just paid 15$ for this. How can I contact the developer. I need a refund or something because I am not paying for something that I can not use.

I am running Roksbox off a Mac, using the Apache server. It did take some persistence to get it to work; I had to go to xml files as I could never get the Roku to see my file directory structure.

Producing the xml files is also a problem; the program they suggest for making them is PC only. Fortunately you can create xml files by hand in a text editor ( I use BBEdit Lite). Before you give up on your setup, try setting up a simple xml file using the Roksbox instructions. You can take their sample xml's and put entries pointing to a file in your "Sites" folder. If the Roku can see that, you'll know you can make it work.

sample XML:
http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=62
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

XD cuts off the first second of music files on playback

While I'm here, I have a question.

I have Roksbox running off of my Mac with Apache, and I'm using an XML file to show where the music files are. Everything works ok, except I have an annoying problem on my newer Roku, which is an XD. When any music file plays, the first second or so is cut off, and so I start about a second into the track. On my older Roku SD, using the exact same setup, this doesn't happen.

Can anything be done about this?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Hello, I've been using Roksbox for a couple of weeks, and I really enjoy it. I'm at the point where I only have a few days left to register, but I cant seem to get to the registration page on Roksbox. I go to www.roksbox.com/register, and it brings me to a login page asking for my user name and password. I registered for an account, but even after logging in, it still brings me back to the same login page. I can't reach the page where I need to put in the code given to me by roksbox on my ruku. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"customyota" wrote:
Hello, I've been using Roksbox for a couple of weeks, and I really enjoy it. I'm at the point where I only have a few days left to register, but I cant seem to get to the registration page on Roksbox. I go to http://www.roksbox.com/register, and it brings me to a login page asking for my user name and password. I registered for an account, but even after logging in, it still brings me back to the same login page. I can't reach the page where I need to put in the code given to me by roksbox on my ruku. Any help would be appreciated.

Does this link work for you?

http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?optio ... gistration

That's the full un-aliased URl for registration.
:: Mark
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Mac help? Please?

Can anyone help a guy with a Mac who is only marginally computer literate?

I followed the Roksbox tutorial to the how-to on macinstruct.com. Surprisingly, I made it through "Turn on Personal Web Sharing" just fine. I type in my IP address and in a large font is says, "It works!" I can see it from another computer as well...

Then I get to the "Create Your Website" section. It seems to assume that I have one stored on my Mac... Needless to say, I don't. Where do I go from here?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Hi friendly helpers,

I just got my Roku XDS and got it set up and working just fine. I really want to watch some files from my computer, which is why I got the XDS instead of the cheaper model.

I found the instructions on the roksbox site to be quite helpful, and I downloaded the Mongoose server and got it to work perfectly the first time. I created the subdirectory structure as recommended and moved some movies and some music into the new structure to see how it would go.

I can see the server by looking at http://localhost from my browser.

I added the Roksbox channel and configured it to see my IP, which I verified using ipconfig. So, all that was just to prove that I tried to follow the directions... however, when I point my Roku box to Roksbox, it ask me to register or continue with trial, so I select "start roksbox", then it brings me to the menu of My Videos --> My Music... etc. When I click on any of those, it just goes to the black screen with the Roksbox logo and sits there. I was hoping for a little more action.

-------- 5 minutes later --------

OK, I did get it to work, the trick was to disable my firewall before starting Roksbox on the Roku. Now for the next question... is there a way to do this without needing to disable my firewall? I know how to open ports for different sorts of sharing, but I'm uncomfortable having to shut it off to be able to do this. Advice?

I've tried disabling my firewall, and that didn't help. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance - Amy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Mac help? Please?

"sobojo" wrote:
Can anyone help a guy with a Mac who is only marginally computer literate?

I followed the Roksbox tutorial to the how-to on macinstruct.com. Surprisingly, I made it through "Turn on Personal Web Sharing" just fine. I type in my IP address and in a large font is says, "It works!" I can see it from another computer as well...

Then I get to the "Create Your Website" section. It seems to assume that I have one stored on my Mac... Needless to say, I don't. Where do I go from here?

If you haven't already done so, you need to put your media files (videos, music, photos) in the parent directory or your website, which should be Library > WebServer > Documents. You should organize your files so that each media type is in own folder. For example, you could have

Media
Music
Photos
Videos

This can also be shown as

Library > WebServer > Documents > Media > Music
Library > WebServer > Documents > Media > Photos
Library > WebServer > Documents > Media > Videos

Then setup Roksbox with

Media Server Address: youripaddress
Media Root Folder: Media
Video Folder Path: Videos
Music Folder Path: Music
Photo Folder Path: Photos

The XML names should all be blank, and frugal mode should be on.
0 Kudos