Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"CDLehner" wrote:
"midiwall" wrote:
"CDLehner" wrote:
OK, I just want to test this out; kind of walk before I run. If I have IIS enabled on one of my PCs, and I have a "test" folder called media off the c drive; and a folder called videos inside that. I have http://192.168.xxx.xxx (obviously, the ip of the PC I have IIS on) as the web server address...

Is IIS's web root directory c:\?

...do I just need \videos or the full path of c:\media\videos for the video folder path?

If IIS's web root is c:\, and the drive is setup like this:

c:\
|
+-- media
|
+-- videos

Then:
Media Location: http://192.168.xxx.xxx
Media Root Folder: {blank}
Video Folder Path: videos - not "\videos"

Man, I was all excited; I was really hoping it was this simple. But still no dice. Smiley Sad

Two questions; one, how do I know if the IIS web root is c:?

I really don't know, I'm not a fan of IIS at all. I looked around a bit on the 'net for an answer, and it looks like you want to go to: Programs / Admin Tools / IIS Manager. From there you can see your websites. Looks like the default "home" is c:\inetpub

And two, if you don't tell roksbox the "parent" dir is media, how does it make the leap to just videos; does Roksbox look for "media" as it's directory structure default or something?

This one I can help on - I brainfarted and didn't give you the right answer the first time. Smiley Happy

It's never a good idea to have the root of a web server be the root of a drive. So, ideally in your configuration, you'll want to set IIS to default to c:\media. If you do that, then roksbox is working from that directory as a default, thus you only want to specify the relative subdirectory for Video & Music. And, that'll make this work:
Video Folder Path: videos
:: Mark
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"midiwall" wrote:
"CDLehner" wrote:
"midiwall" wrote:
It's never a good idea to have the root of a web server be the root of a drive. So, ideally in your configuration, you'll want to set IIS to default to c:\media. If you do that, then roksbox is working from that directory as a default, thus you only want to specify the relative subdirectory for Video & Music. And, that'll make this work:
Video Folder Path: videos

Man, this is starting to feel like it'll never get done. Again, I thought this must be it. I found how to open the IIS manager, changed the home directory to c:\media (btw, it was c:\inetpub\wwwroot); roksbox now has http://192.168.xxx.xxx as the web server address, no media root folder, and the video folder path is videos. Still no luck.

Let me ask a question; I know NOTHING about IIS...lots of sh*t going on in here. Smiley Surprised But it almost appears that it runs on port 80?

EDIT- Oh, I see roksbox looks for :80 by default. Look, I chose IIS because "it's already there", and I figured...therefore...it would have the lightest overhead. But if I can't make this fly, and need to run Monsoon or whatever...so someone can just step me through it...that's fine. This is chewing up wayyy too much of my time.

CD
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

For those having initial trouble, try this FIRST;

- Do what ever you need to make the web server active
- Move or remove any XML files away from your web server's data path
- Find or make a standard JPG / JPEG picture file
- Put that JPEG picture file into your top level web server's data path
- Make that JPEG file world readable, (I don't remember MS-Windows name for that)
- Use a web browser to get a file listing of the top level web server's data path
- Use that web browser to check and bring up that JPEG picture
- Try to use a web browser on another computer if you can for a more complete test
- If you get this far, THEN look at the Roku's Roksbox configuration

If you can't get this far, don't bother with video or music.

Keep in mind, web servers were never meant for the average computer user.
Roksbox uses a web server as the media delivery system because they can be
installed everywhere, (MS-Windows, Mac, Unix / Linux, even NAS devices).

Since I already had a web server running on my local network, Roksbox was my
choice, (and a good one for me). Some of the other local media delivery channels
require additional custom server software. Those custom server software packages
might be easier to install, but they are specific to it's use. Meaning a web server
can be tested and used by other computers on your local network, not just the
Roku with Roksbox channel.

Another thing nice about Roksbox, is that it supports USB media on the Roku XR
and Roku XD|S models. If you have one of those, that may be a good test option
to see if your media, (pictures, music or videos), work with Roku and Roksbox.
(There is a hardware hack out that allows using USB media on the HD version
of the Roku. That might work for other models as well. The hack is not for most
people.)

Remember, at present, Roksbox can't play anything that the Roku does not
already play. So if the web server part is working and something won't play with
Roksbox, good chance it won't play with the Roku regardless of the channel.
(Unless the channel does transcoding... which is generally CPU and or disk
intensive. And more complex.)
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Arwen,

Is MP4 video working for your roksbox right now? Videos that played without issue when I first installed it (channel v 1.14, firmware 2.8 b1150) have stopped working entirely (currently with v 1.14.1 and fw 2.8 b1158) with the error I posted above.

I know nothing changed on my server side and, music still works. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the channel, but still no go.

ApK
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"ApK" wrote:
Arwen,

Is MP4 video working for your roksbox right now? Videos that played without issue when I first installed it (channel v 1.14, firmware 2.8 b1150) have stopped working entirely (currently with v 1.14.1 and fw 2.8 b1158) with the error I posted above.

I know nothing changed on my server side and, music still works. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the channel, but still no go.

ApK

All my videos are squished with 2.8x, (both b1150 and b1158), and
were fine with 2.7x. But for me, Roksbox was for music, so the
videos were more of a test case. The videos, (3 music videos and
1 movie, all from DVDs I own), are MP4 ffmpeg encoded with
Handbrake.

Apparently x264 videos are fine.

Seems Roku fixed some bugs that previously allowed videos to play
even though the source format was wrong. Haven't really followed this
particular issue, as my issue is just squished video, (and easily fixed
with re-encoding to x264).
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Arwen" wrote:

Yeah, I'm kind of heeding this advice; at least temporarily. Playing around with IIS kind of f'ed up my Internet connectivity, and I don't think I should go playing around with some of the settings, until I fully understand the ramifications. Besides which, I couldn't get it to work anyway.

I've changed back the home dir, uninstalled IIS, and am looking to start over in a new way. Can someone please point the way?

CD
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I just registered Roksbox. Haven't used it in a couple of weeks since the trial ran out, at which time everything played perfectly.

All my vids are now playing squeezed to 4X3. Is this a Roku box bug?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have TWO Roku boxes in my home on the same network. I have set up the roksbox channel on one of them and have gotten the media server setup and running properly on my PC. Everything seems to be working properly.

I now want to add the roksbox channel to the second Roku box. I went in through the link from the first post and found that I need to link the second box to my Roku account. To do this requires a code from the Amazon.com setup channel. I went onto the second box and added the amazon.com channel. For some reason, I found that after installing it for the first time, the amazon.com channel is already authorized and does not require a new setup to link it to my amazon.com account.

Hence I can not get the code to allow me to link my Roku box to my Roku account and therefore I can not add the roksbox channel to the second box.

Has anyone else had the same problem and what is the solution/workaround?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"CDLehner" wrote:
"Arwen" wrote:

Yeah, I'm kind of heeding this advice; at least temporarily. Playing around with IIS kind of f'ed up my Internet connectivity, and I don't think I should go playing around with some of the settings, until I fully understand the ramifications. Besides which, I couldn't get it to work anyway.

I've changed back the home dir, uninstalled IIS, and am looking to start over in a new way. Can someone please point the way?

CD

OK, well...I went back and took another crack at what was supposed to be the super-simple Monsoon set-up...and success. I don't know what tripped me up the first time; I think maybe I changed the Apache root to c:\www instead of c:\www\...but like I said, it can at least see my "test" file under videos now.

Now, that's an .mpg, simply renamed .mp4...just to get things working. Now I guess I have to actually convert a file and decide if it's worth the trouble. For SD, I'm not married to anything; this will be my third container change, as players have changed. It would have been a much bigger pain, before Roku in the first place. But part of the reason for Roku, and the Netflix streaming, was to cut back on the SD TV-on-DVD files to begin with.

Thanks for the help thus far. I'm a walk before I run kind of guy. Once I get the basics sorted out, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions about "advanced" config.

CD
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"jackbrewster" wrote:
Is there any update on the streaming problems with the 2.8 Roku software?

I just got my Roku XD on Wednesday and I've been trying to setup roksbox working with Apache on my Mac. I can connect to the computer, but when I select any of the media choices in roksbox, I get the roksbox black screen for a moment, then I'm bounced back out to the roksbox menu.

I know the website is working correctly as I'm able to browse to the videos folder from my iPad and play the video that I have there for testing.

I'd like to make sure that it's 2.8 causing the problem, and not a configuration issue on my part.

Thanks

This sounds like a configuration issue. The 2.8 upgrade caused problems when trying to play the video, but you should at least be able to see all of your media from Roksbox.

Give us some information about your setup, and we can probably help.

What port does your Apache web server use?
How are your media files organized below your web server root?
What are your Roksbox configuration settings?
0 Kudos