Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"CDLehner" wrote:
OK; thanks again. I was afriad of that. I might have been doing everything right all along, and I was just trying to play an incompatible file. To test that, I even just renamed one of my .mpg to .mp4. I knew making it play wasn't as simple as that, but I was thinking Roksbox would at least see it...again, if I was doing everything else right. But I always get the same thing; it just bounces out of the Videos section.

I was going to try converting a single file tonight...if no one confirmed. Now I know I have to. I'm goign to do it, just to test...but is there any way to get Roksbox to play .mpg? I see some of the "tricks" with VLC and such. I want to do this as easy as possible, but the thought of converting all these mpgs to mp4s is not appealing.

Keep an eye open for me guys; I really want to try and get this worked out soon.

CD

It sounds like you still have a problem with your setup somewhere. If you rename a .mpg to .mp4, Roksbox will see it, but won't play it. Since Roksbox didn't see it, then something still isn't configured right.

You will be better off converting your mpgs to mp4s instead of using the VLC method, which hasn't been tested yet, and can be somewhat complicated to set up. Converting to mp4s will give you a much nicer looking setup within Roksbox, and will give you more options for organizing your media and adding detail information.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:
"CDLehner" wrote:
OK; thanks again. I was afriad of that. I might have been doing everything right all along, and I was just trying to play an incompatible file. To test that, I even just renamed one of my .mpg to .mp4. I knew making it play wasn't as simple as that, but I was thinking Roksbox would at least see it...again, if I was doing everything else right. But I always get the same thing; it just bounces out of the Videos section.

I was going to try converting a single file tonight...if no one confirmed. Now I know I have to. I'm goign to do it, just to test...but is there any way to get Roksbox to play .mpg? I see some of the "tricks" with VLC and such. I want to do this as easy as possible, but the thought of converting all these mpgs to mp4s is not appealing.

Keep an eye open for me guys; I really want to try and get this worked out soon.

CD

It sounds like you still have a problem with your setup somewhere. If you rename a .mpg to .mp4, Roksbox will see it, but won't play it. Since Roksbox didn't see it, then something still isn't configured right.

You will be better off converting your mpgs to mp4s instead of using the VLC method, which hasn't been tested yet, and can be somewhat complicated to set up. Converting to mp4s will give you a much nicer looking setup within Roksbox, and will give you more options for organizing your media and adding detail information.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. OK, well...at this point, I think I need to just start all over. So...IIS should be enabled, and I'll just do a test dir structure of c:\media\videos? Stick an .mpg in there, rename it .mp4...and then I'll probably need to post, and see where my Roksbox settings must be wrong.

I'll do that later today, when I'm home.

TIA,
CD
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Is there any update on the streaming problems with the 2.8 Roku software?

I just got my Roku XD on Wednesday and I've been trying to setup roksbox working with Apache on my Mac. I can connect to the computer, but when I select any of the media choices in roksbox, I get the roksbox black screen for a moment, then I'm bounced back out to the roksbox menu.

I know the website is working correctly as I'm able to browse to the videos folder from my iPad and play the video that I have there for testing.

I'd like to make sure that it's 2.8 causing the problem, and not a configuration issue on my part.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"jackbrewster" wrote:

I'd like to make sure that it's 2.8 causing the problem, and not a configuration issue on my part.
Thanks

I'm not having problems with Roksbox on 2.8.

ApK
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"ApK" wrote:

I'm not having problems with Roksbox on 2.8.

I guess I need to correct that. YESTERDAY I was having no problems with Roksbox on 2.8, TONIGHT, no video plays at all. All the files I was testing successfully with yesterday now say "The format is not supported or the media is corrupt."

I cannot say that this has anything to do with the recent firmware changes, but I DID just install the new 2.8 build.....

ApK
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

OK, I just want to test this out; kind of walk before I run. If I have IIS enabled on one of my PCs, and I have a "test" folder called media off the c drive; and a folder called videos inside that. I have http://192.168.xxx.xxx (obviously, the ip of the PC I have IIS on) as the web server address...c:\media as the media root...and do I just need \videos or the full path of c:\media\videos for the video folder path?

And if I have an .mpg, just renamed .mp4...Roksbox should be able to at least see that; or am I missing something?

CD
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

just bought a new imac

turned on media sharing:

setup directory structure

Media Root folder: Media
Video Folder Path: Videos
deleted the xml

when I go to choose videos in roksbox it pops back out to the main menu in roksbox... any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"djwurm" wrote:
just bought a new imac

turned on media sharing:

setup directory structure

Media Root folder: Media
Video Folder Path: Videos
deleted the xml

when I go to choose videos in roksbox it pops back out to the main menu in roksbox... any suggestions?

I'm having the same trouble getting set-up; except PC.

CD
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"CDLehner" wrote:
OK, I just want to test this out; kind of walk before I run. If I have IIS enabled on one of my PCs, and I have a "test" folder called media off the c drive; and a folder called videos inside that. I have http://192.168.xxx.xxx (obviously, the ip of the PC I have IIS on) as the web server address...

Is IIS's web root directory c:\?

...do I just need \videos or the full path of c:\media\videos for the video folder path?

If IIS's web root is c:\, and the drive is setup like this:

c:\
|
+-- media
|
+-- videos

Then:
Media Location: http://192.168.xxx.xxx
Media Root Folder: {blank}
Video Folder Path: videos - not "\videos"
:: Mark
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"midiwall" wrote:
"CDLehner" wrote:
OK, I just want to test this out; kind of walk before I run. If I have IIS enabled on one of my PCs, and I have a "test" folder called media off the c drive; and a folder called videos inside that. I have http://192.168.xxx.xxx (obviously, the ip of the PC I have IIS on) as the web server address...

Is IIS's web root directory c:\?

...do I just need \videos or the full path of c:\media\videos for the video folder path?

If IIS's web root is c:\, and the drive is setup like this:

c:\
|
+-- media
|
+-- videos

Then:
Media Location: http://192.168.xxx.xxx
Media Root Folder: {blank}
Video Folder Path: videos - not "\videos"

Man, I was all excited; I was really hoping it was this simple. But still no dice. Smiley Sad

Two questions; one, how do I know if the IIS web root is c:? And two, if you don't tell roksbox the "parent" dir is media, how does it make the leap to just videos; does Roksbox look for "media" as it's directory structure default or something?

In any case, still not working. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

CD
0 Kudos