Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"philsoft" wrote:
"WilDD" wrote:
Roksbox now supports video subtitles

Roksbox uses SRT files to display subtitles. --- or can be downloaded from online sites such as http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx ----



WilDD,
My security software blocks this site as a Malicious site.


Thanks for the info. I changed the original site in the original post to two other sites I found that look nice.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"pjoshua5000" wrote:
"WilDD" wrote:
Roksbox now supports video subtitles

Roksbox uses SRT files to display subtitles. SRT files have the extension .srt, and can be created manually (difficult), by using software such as Subtitle Workshop (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Subtitle_Workshop), or can be downloaded from online sites such as http://opensubtitles.org.

To use subtitle SRT files in Roksbox, name your SRT file the same name as your video file, with the .srt extension (MyVideo.mp4 would be MyVideo.srt), and put it in the same folder as your video. That's all you need to do. Roksbox will find the SRT file, and display the subtitles when the video plays.


It works, but you have to fine the exact srt file that matches your file. Because the one I find for my show is off by a few seconds. However you can edit the times and data in the srt files with notepad++ Is they any program that can extract the file from the dvd?

Also WilDD you need an option to turn to play with and with subtitles.


For now, putting the srt file in your folder means use subtitles for that video. You can remove or rename the srt file if you don't want subtitles. I will add an option within Roksbox to turn on or off subtitles though.

And what about color of the text.


I don't think the Roku SDK will give this option. I will check it out though.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Handbrake Best Practices Thread

Oops...Posted this in the wrong place. Meant to start a new thread. Sorry!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

I had to format my WD NAS drive and I followed your website to re-install Apache server and it works after install but if the drive is rebooted the apache server does not restart when the drive boots. Apache can be started with a manual linux command in putty but that is a huge pain every time the drive is booted.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"wpbear" wrote:
I had to format my WD NAS drive and I followed your website to re-install Apache server and it works after install but if the drive is rebooted the apache server does not restart when the drive boots. Apache can be started with a manual linux command in putty but that is a huge pain every time the drive is booted.

So... this is a Linux install, right? Did you build Apache from sources and run the ./install script afterwards?

Do you have the file /etc/init.d/apache2?

If the installer didn't make it so that it runs at boot, there are a couple of ways to do it... Th quickest (but not structurally correct) is to drop a line at the end of /etc/rc.local such as:
# start apache
/usr/bin/apachectl start

What's your Linux distribution?
:: Mark
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"midiwall" wrote:
"wpbear" wrote:
I had to format my WD NAS drive and I followed your website to re-install Apache server and it works after install but if the drive is rebooted the apache server does not restart when the drive boots. Apache can be started with a manual linux command in putty but that is a huge pain every time the drive is booted.

So... this is a Linux install, right? Did you build Apache from sources and run the ./install script afterwards?

Do you have the file /etc/init.d/apache2?

If the installer didn't make it so that it runs at boot, there are a couple of ways to do it... Th quickest (but not structurally correct) is to drop a line at the end of /etc/rc.local such as:
# start apache
/usr/bin/apachectl start

What's your Linux distribution?


I have now idea what distribution I have. It is a White Light WD NAS Drive with most current firmware. I used the directions from http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=73 and http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/optware. I do not have the file /etc/init.d/apache2 or /etc/rc.local.

In etc there is rc.logrotate, rc.nmbd, rc.poweroff, rc.reboot, rc.service_httpd, and rc.service_network
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

I am having another issue with roksbox.

I have encoded the video in handbrake to the specification in the tutorial, but now any video that I play will work for 20 minutes and then rebuffers and does not play and gets stuck on the retrieving screen.

Does anyone know what could cause this?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"patwheel" wrote:
I am having another issue with roksbox.

I have encoded the video in handbrake to the specification in the tutorial, but now any video that I play will work for 20 minutes and then rebuffers and does not play and gets stuck on the retrieving screen.

Does anyone know what could cause this?


Are you making sure that you are encoding at 29.97 frames per second?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"philsoft" wrote:
"patwheel" wrote:
I am having another issue with roksbox.

I have encoded the video in handbrake to the specification in the tutorial, but now any video that I play will work for 20 minutes and then rebuffers and does not play and gets stuck on the retrieving screen.

Does anyone know what could cause this?


Are you making sure that you are encoding at 29.97 frames per second?


Yes. The videos do work, but only for 20 minutes. I tried with several different ones.
It keeps on buffering afterwards.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"patwheel" wrote:
"philsoft" wrote:
"patwheel" wrote:
I am having another issue with roksbox.

I have encoded the video in handbrake to the specification in the tutorial, but now any video that I play will work for 20 minutes and then rebuffers and does not play and gets stuck on the retrieving screen.

Does anyone know what could cause this?


Are you making sure that you are encoding at 29.97 frames per second?


Yes. The videos do work, but only for 20 minutes. I tried with several different ones.
It keeps on buffering afterwards.


You also need to make sure "Large File Size" and "Web Optimized" are ticked. Also, what bitrate are you using? and what audio settings?
0 Kudos