Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
midiwall
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"WilDD" wrote:
For those having problems installing Mongoose:

There is a new version of Mongoose - V 2.11, which seems to have a different install procedure. I have changed the link on the Roksbox page that uses a previous version - V 2.8, which is known to work well. Follow the instructions at http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53 to use this version until I get new instructions for the new version.

Something to keep in mind is that when you run Mongoose right out of the box it will default to listening on port 8080. So if you just install and fire it up, the Roksbox config will have to change to reflect the port number. I think this was the core of WetFactory's trouble, which we fixed by adding the config file to shift Mongoose to listening on port 80.

ref:
http://code.google.com/p/mongoose/

http://code.google.com/p/mongoose/wiki/WindowsUsage
"Installing and configuring Mongoose on Windows in general"
:: Mark
0 Kudos
lborkey
Level 7

Does anyone use the CLI for HandBrake? I'm trying to automate my conversion process. If so, can you post your parameter string? I'm having a problem where the video appears compressed horizontally and black bands appear on the left and right sides of the screen. I'm converting previously ripped MP4 files that were saved using either the Apple Universal or High Profile.
0 Kudos
midiwall
Level 7

"lborkey" wrote:
Does anyone use the CLI for HandBrake? I'm trying to automate my conversion process. If so, can you post your parameter string? I'm having a problem where the video appears compressed horizontally and black bands appear on the left and right sides of the screen. I'm converting previously ripped MP4 files that were saved using either the Apple Universal or High Profile.

You might wanna take a look at this:
http://hbencodermark2.codeplex.com/

It could save you from re-inventing the wheel. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
WetFactory
Level 7

I feel like I'm very close to completion in setting this up, but I've hit a snag.

When I load the Music portion of the Roksbox channel, it says it cannot find the music.xml file.

On my computer:

The web server is working, along with my alias. If I enter 192.168.2.2/Music I see the contents of my music directory.

The music.xml file is in C:\www\Media\Music\music.xml

Within the Roku channel:

Under Media Location I have: http://192.168.2.2

My media root folder is blank.

My music folder path is Music

The name of my XML file is music.xml

Frugal is off.

When I go to the Music section of the channel, it tries for a minute to load the XML file and says it cannot find it. The following window then appears:

Invalid media location or improperly structured XML file.

http://192.168.2.2/Music/music.xml

Please help Smiley Surprisedops:
0 Kudos
belthur
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:
"cvj" wrote:
Thanks - that works for the Music directory. The Photo directory is still getting stuck in the "Retrieving" mode...

If your jpg extensions are uppercase (.JPG), change them to lowercase (.jpg). It won't find uppercase jpgs. The filenames can be uppercase, but not the extensions. The reason for this is to reduce the amount of time searching for jpgs. If it has to search for uppercase and lowercase, it takes twice as long.

I am having the same problem of RoksBox always stuck in "retrieving" ... tried changing the file extension...it just doesn't change....anybody else got photo display working... ?

Music works. Video not tested/not used for now. I just need to get Photo slideshow working.

I am on IIS7.
ROKU : 2000C
N1000 *
MODEM: Linksys CM100
ROUTER: WRT54G
CNXn: Comcast 18Mbps
TV: Toshiba 720p HDTV
Receiver : Onkyo TX-SR608
0 Kudos
philsoft
Level 8

"WetFactory" wrote:

I think your media root folder should be "Media" according to the path you show above.
0 Kudos
WetFactory
Level 7

"philsoft" wrote:
"WetFactory" wrote:

I think your media root folder should be "Media" according to the path you show above.

I was using the instructions from the Roksbox site:

Change Web Media Root Folder

If you are using a common media root folder,enter the name of the media root folder here (probably Media). If you are using aliases, or if your media files aren't under a common media folder, delete this entry. Use the onscreen keyboard to change the media root folder information. The folder name is case sensitive, so make sure it matches your web server folder name exactly. When finished, select Apply to apply the information, or select Cancel to cancel without making any changes.

I'm using aliases so I left it blank. I'll try Media to see what happens. My wife is watching that show where the ghost hunters walk around insulting ghosts so I'll have to wait for that to finish.
0 Kudos
midiwall
Level 7

"philsoft" wrote:
"WetFactory" wrote:

Ditto!
0 Kudos
WetFactory
Level 7

I was about to give up, but I think I got it working. I can see now see the contents of my Music folder in Roksbox Smiley Happy

I made a couple changes to the Windows firewall, allowing port 80 for Roksbox.

Unfortunately it's taking a while to retrieve my tracks from the iTunes folder. I've got a little over 7,500 song so I'll give it a bit more time before turning on frugal mode. I also tried some other folders containing only a handful of files but they're also taking a while to load. What should I expect from 7k songs?

The problem wound up being the Media folder in the channel settings. I deleted the word Media and left it blank. It then loaded the XML file.

One question remains - Should I be concerned about opening port 80?
0 Kudos
midiwall
Level 7

"WetFactory" wrote:
I was about to give up, but I think I got it working. I can see now see the contents of my Music folder in Roksbox Smiley Happy

wOOt!!

I've got a little over 7,500 song so I'll give it a bit more time before turning on frugal mode.

I'd turn on Frugal mode now - the delay you're seeing will be there each time Roksbox loads.

One question remains - Should I be concerned about opening port 80?

I figure that you're using a router between the outside world and the inside? And if you're running WiFi in the house, then you're running secured - MAC filtered even? If "yes" to both, then you're perfectly safe.

I _hate_ software firewalls on any OS or platform, they're generally bad news. As long as you're isolated from the outside world, I'd totally pitch it out the window.
0 Kudos