Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

29.97 fps does solve the rebuffering issue, but...

Does anyone notice the video streams are not as smooth as a variable fps or 23.97 fps? I am using Handbrake 0.9.4...
0 Kudos
aegl
Level 7

"midiwall" wrote:
"philsoft" wrote:
Yes, encoding at 29.97fps will clear up the rebuffering at roughly the one hour mark problem...
Do folks think this is a Roku codec issue issue or is it a Roksbox issue? I don't have a huge problem using fixed framerates moving forward, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to think about it. Smiley Happy

Difficult to tell. Here's what has been seen:

Handbrake encoded files at 23.97 fps play okay on my computer well past the one hour mark.

Roku can play the 8-hour epic "Example 8 Hour 23.976" from Netflix.

Roku has rebuffering problems past 1 hour on handbrake encoded videos at 23.97 fps played through Roksbox.

So all we really know is that there is a bad interaction when handbrake and 23.97 and Roksbox all come together.
0 Kudos

"smoyers" wrote:
I have set everything up, per the instructions. I was using Mongoose but it kept crashing, so I decided to go with Apache. I have checked and re-checked everything, but I can't get my photos or music to load. It was working with Mongoose, but Mongoose would crash repeatedly. Please help. BTW, what is frugal? and should it be on or off?
Thank you.

Do you have directory listing index access turned on? I know it used to be on by default but they may have changed that for security purposes.
0 Kudos

"aegl" wrote:
"midiwall" wrote:
"philsoft" wrote:
Yes, encoding at 29.97fps will clear up the rebuffering at roughly the one hour mark problem...
Do folks think this is a Roku codec issue issue or is it a Roksbox issue? I don't have a huge problem using fixed framerates moving forward, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to think about it. Smiley Happy

Difficult to tell. Here's what has been seen:

Handbrake encoded files at 23.97 fps play okay on my computer well past the one hour mark.

Roku can play the 8-hour epic "Example 8 Hour 23.976" from Netflix.

Roku has rebuffering problems past 1 hour on handbrake encoded videos at 23.97 fps played through Roksbox.

So all we really know is that there is a bad interaction when handbrake and 23.97 and Roksbox all come together.

Weird, I haven't had this issue yet and I have watched several 1.5 hour long doctor who series (encoded as one file). I always just use the handbrake default "high profile" setting (same framerate as source) and A3C audio (5.1).
0 Kudos

Nevermind I have it too with the other DVD's. Are BBC dvd's enocded at a different frame rate? It's weird that Doctor Who is unaffected.
0 Kudos

Ha BBC DVD's are encoded with 29.whatever (makes sense, the euro standard). That's why they are all working, darn now I'll have to re-encode the rest.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Wanted to though in a quick feature request. I haven't found a good mac program to automatically generate all the .xml stuff for posters/title. However I was wondering how easy it would be to have the Roksbox program simply search for a *.jpg in the same directory as the .mp4 and use that as cover art (no .xml files or anything else involved) Not sure how easy that would be.
0 Kudos
greubel
Level 7

Chaneru does that.
0 Kudos
philsoft
Level 8

"greubel" wrote:
Chaneru does that.

So does Roksbox
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"thehomelessguy" wrote:
Wanted to though in a quick feature request. I haven't found a good mac program to automatically generate all the .xml stuff for posters/title. However I was wondering how easy it would be to have the Roksbox program simply search for a *.jpg in the same directory as the .mp4 and use that as cover art (no .xml files or anything else involved) Not sure how easy that would be.

As philsoft said, Roksbox does that. Just name your jpg file the same as the mp4 file. For example, if you have avatar.mp4, name the jpg avatar.jpg. Roksbox will use that for the poster art. Make sure your poster art is at least close to the recommended size, or your posters will load slow, and cause slow navigation.

Recommended poster art size for videos is: SD=158x204; HD=214x306
0 Kudos