Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

One last thing concerning handbrake.

The "high-profile" encoding seems to work well for me with most DVD's (some DVD's of old BBC shows are weird and screw up with this) expect for the audio. You need to make sure you change the audio settings. If you have anything other than AC3 passthrough (which saves most of the data anyways) it won't work (in my experience). Kind of sucks if you want one file and plan on using it on a phone that doesn't support A3C (about the only device that wouldn't), but other than that it should be fine.
0 Kudos
christo
Level 7

roksbox is great - so far.
one problem - my music does not play - it sort of chirps. i ripped the music using windows media player to WMA files - which are supposed to be supported. any ideas?

and a question - for photos can i have folders withing folders?
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"christo" wrote:
roksbox is great - so far.
one problem - my music does not play - it sort of chirps. i ripped the music using windows media player to WMA files - which are supposed to be supported. any ideas?

and a question - for photos can i have folders withing folders?

WMA files should work. Maybe try a different ripper, or different settings.

Yes, you can have unlimited levels of folders for photos. In fact, this is a good way to organize your photos. You can categorize them by putting them in different folders, or organizing them by dates.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

New version V1.13.0 available

This version has a new feature called Frugal Mode.

Frugal mode allows you to make the most efficient use of the Roku player's memory. Frugal mode can be used when using the directory structure to access your media. It is most useful when you have a very large video, music, or photo collection, or if it takes a long time to load your media. If your media collection is so large that it won't load at all, frugal mode can probably solve the problem.

Instead of parsing and loading the entire directory structure from a particular category, frugal mode parses and loads only the current directory level. The subsequent levels are parsed only when selected. This results in parsing and loading the directory levels only when needed, and eliminates loading unnecessary items.

However, by not parsing the entire directory structure, you won't get poster art from lower levels to show up at upper levels that don't contain poster art. This is easily remedied by putting poster art in each subcategory folder. Also, since Roksbox doesn't "look ahead", you can have folders showing up on the screen that don't have any media files in them.

You can easily turn frugal mode on or off by toggling the frugal indicator on each of the media options in the media settings. Frugal mode has no affect when using xml files.

This version also allows you to play music files directly from the music root folder, and to view photos directly from the photo root folder. Previously, these files had to be in at least one folder below the root folder.

You can get this version by entering and exiting the channel store, or you will get it automatically within 24 hours.
0 Kudos
Gilgamesh
Level 8

Since I use only the video part of this app is there any way to make Roksbox start with the Video folder highlighted instead of the pictures one.

I have tried all the various streamers and they all start with a function I do not use as the default. This is a little hard to believe as the Roku is primarily a video device so it seams that videos would be the default for chs that do multiple functions.

Clearly I can live with the current functionality but I would just prefer that I start in videos or the pictures and audio functions be completely hidden and disabled.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
Since I use only the video part of this app is there any way to make Roksbox start with the Video folder highlighted instead of the pictures one.

I have tried all the various streamers and they all start with a function I do not use as the default. This is a little hard to believe as the Roku is primarily a video device so it seams that videos would be the default for chs that do multiple functions.

Clearly I can live with the current functionality but I would just prefer that I start in videos or the pictures and audio functions be completely hidden and disabled.

I'll see what I can come up with in the next release.
0 Kudos
Gilgamesh
Level 8

"WilDD" wrote:

I'll see what I can come up with in the next release.

Thanks, in advance, for your efforts.
0 Kudos
dancinfool
Level 7

@WilDD: first and foremost, congratulations on, and thank you for a great product. One humble feature request: search. (My wife has 100s of DVDs, and scrolling v. searching becomes very laborious, very quickly.) If this feature already exists, and I'm just missing it, please let me know.
0 Kudos
rossi141
Level 7

I have seen a few comments about slowness when inside a category (using video.xml). I am running into this issue.
It seems that the main difference between Roksbox and Netflix is that Netflix navigation calls seem to be non-blocking i.e. I can navigate and the posters will fill in as they are available. Compared to Roksbox where loading posters seems to be a blocking call - i.e. I am unable to navigate until all posters have loaded. This means that every time I click right to move through my category, it will only move after the next image has loaded. Is there any way to fix this? To navigate through some of my categories is very painful - takes my over 1 minute just to get to the correct movie within some of my categories, then any navigation strokes that I have cached take me way past, then I have to navigate back.
Another enhancement if it is not possible to fix this would be to provide search functionality, so that I can find my movie by name.

Anyway, great product - thanks.

Colin
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"dancinfool" wrote:
@WilDD: first and foremost, congratulations on, and thank you for a great product. One humble feature request: search. (My wife has 100s of DVDs, and scrolling v. searching becomes very laborious, very quickly.) If this feature already exists, and I'm just missing it, please let me know.

I will look into the search function, as this can be very useful.

I don't know how you have your videos categorized, but you can probably reduce a lot of navigation by categorizing or splitting up your videos. Whether you use directory structure, or an xml file, you can divide your videos into groups, or categories, which will allow you to quickly skip through videos and select a particular category which contains the video you want. You can also divide them up alphabetically, with each letter of the alphabet being a category. This way you can quickly skip through the alphabet to get to (say) the Ts to get to Titanic. You can categorize them to however suites you (and your wife) best.
0 Kudos