Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Icesnake
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

After registering for Roksbox I am no longer able to access the Channel Store. Roku Support has been notified; I'll update this topic when I get a resolution.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
I tried to discover if this issue has been discussed earlier in this VERY long thread but I could not find it.

I have roksbox working just fine. I am using it only for movies and I am using a video.xml file generated by Personal Video Database.

This setup works fine except for one issue: From time to time I add a movie or two to the database, save the xml file, exit roxbox and then reenter it and all appears fine except at some point about half way through the xml file (someplace between the letters k and n usually) the pointers to the images for the movie go off by one or two spots. That is the mpg for say King Kong will be in the correct place but it will show the image for Looker and the images for all movies after King Kong will also be off.

The only way to fix this is to power down my Roku. But after a power down the movies and images will match correctly for all movies. This tells me that PDV is creating a correctly formated xml file but roxbox is failing to reread it correctly after reentering the ch.

Yes I do completely exit roxbox before reentering it. I have even gone to other chs and watched a movie before returning to find this problem.

If there are no changes to the xml then the issue never happens and, if the original xml is placed back in the correct location then the problem seems to go away. of course without the new movie info.

This is more of a irritant than a problem but it is more of an irritant now since I am in the process of adding a lot of my movies.

I currently have about 150 movies in my database and I expect the total to be around 400 or more once I am done.

BTW: I love the XML method of organizing the movies. It gives me so much more info like description, actors, directors and more. I used the directory structure with this and other streaming chs but that gives so much less info. I still keep my movies in the old structure but PVD picks up on this just fine and gets info for all my movies.

Thanks for any help on my issue.

Edit to add: I only have 8 chs currently on my Roku.

aegl is correct. By default, PVD can use the same name for different poster art whenever changes are made, and the Roku player caches the images, and uses whatever is in its cache instead of using the new version. There is no way in the SDK to tell the Roku player to not use what is in its cache. The solution is at http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=58, which is:

But first we need to make one very important modification to PVD. Because of the way the Roku player caches images, there could be a problem with matching poster art to the proper video. The following change in PVD will fix the problem. Whenever you upgrade PVD to a new version, you will probably have to do this again.

Make the following modification to PVD before using it the first time, and after an upgrade to a new version:

1.Click Tools, then Preferences...
2.On the left side of the Preferences window, click Plugins.
3.On the right side, move the scroll handle down to the bottom of the window.
4.Click on the line that says Plain Text, then click Configure.
5.On the left side of the next window, click the box at the bottom of the screen that says Open file upon completion to uncheck the box, then click XML (Movies).
6.On the right side, click Edit template.
7.Find the line near the top of the template that says imagepath="images\".
8.Click the mouse curser at the end of this line, then press Enter to open a blank line.
9.In the blank line, type imagenameformat="%t%%ext%".
10.Click the red X in the top right corner of the window, then click OK.

This should fix the problem.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"abe" wrote:
I'm on 10.5.8 so not sure if there are any differences if you are on 10.6 yet or not.

Setting and structure on my Mac:

Web Sharing is turned on.

I have a folder named "media" with the "Sites" folder (Sites is located within your Home folder). I have placed a few test movies saved out using the recommend Handbrake setting within this "media" folder in a "videos" folder.

/Sites/media/videos/...all my video files...

Roksbox settings:

Web Server Address: I've entered the exact same address as what was listed under the personal website in the Web Sharing panel on my Mac.

Media Root Folder: media

Video Folder Path: videos

I deleted all the address for the xml files for all sections. I have not tried anything other than streaming video files from my computer with this channel. So I can't say how the Youtube, music or picture streaming is. But the above setting allowed me to stream video without issues once I created my 'user.conf' file that was missing.

I've yet to figured out how to change the location of my media from anywhere but the default Sites folder that the Apache server apparently uses. I would like to change that to an external hard drive. I've tried altering the user.conf file and using symbolic and alias links but nothing has worked so far. Its a pain having to not only re-encode the files but not being able to store them where I want.

Not sure if any of that helps or not but its what finally worked for me after experimenting.

You should be able to stream from any external drive by setting up an alias in the Apache config file. I'm not too familiar with the Mac, but for a PC, here are some examples that you would put in the Apache config file.

Alias /Videos "\\mybookworld\Public\WWW\WWW-pub\Media\Videos"
or
Alias /Videos "Z:\WWW\WWW-pub\Media\Videos"

In Roksbox, you would leave the Media Root folder blank, and use Videos (the name of the alias) for the Video Folder Path.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"hugacrv" wrote:
Thanks abe, that got me part of the way there.

I created /Sites/Media/Videos/ and the test video that I placed in there worked fine. However, when I created
/Sites/Media/Pictures/ by dragging an alias of the Pictures folder from my User directory to the /Sites/Media/ directory it did not work.

It seems that I should be able to point the /Sites/Media/ directory back to the correct folders in my User directory by using an alias so I don't have to move all of my media structure around (and probably break something else).

Anybody else got any clues?

PS - I only have 19 days left in the trial and still no success so I need to 1) find a fix FAST, 2) get an extension on my unregistered trial, or 3) try another solution (Chaneru?). I'm hoping for option #1

#2 - I'll give you as much time as you need.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"Oh4Sh0" wrote:
After converting American Pie 4, and The Bucket List, I get the same message trying to access the American Pie 4 file 'An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected.' The files at least show up in the directory structure now, however. The Bucket List on the other hand, says the format is either invalid or corrupt. Strange, since they were both converted by handbrake to mp4 with the same settings.

Let's start over on this one.

Where is your web root?

Where are your videos and music files located?

What are your Roksbox settings?
0 Kudos
RoadRanger
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:
You should be able to stream from any external drive by setting up an alias in the Apache config file. I'm not too familiar with the Mac, but for a PC, here are some examples that you would put in the Apache config file.

Hey, just a note that it isn't too hard to set up a WD MyBook World to serve files directly via its resident webserver. I'm doing that with mine Smiley Happy .
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"RoadRanger" wrote:
"WilDD" wrote:

Hey, just a note that it isn't too hard to set up a WD MyBook World to serve files directly via its resident webserver. I'm doing that with mine Smiley Happy .

That sounds neat. Can you give us some instructions on how you did it?
0 Kudos
RoadRanger
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:
"RoadRanger" wrote:
That sounds neat. Can you give us some instructions on how you did it?
First you have to get SSH access to your MyBookWorld:
http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/first-steps-with-mbwe
Then do:
http://martin.hinner.info/mybook/lighttpd.php
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database
0 Kudos

I got this working on a synology diskstation (DS410) and thought I'd share my experience. Here is what needs done to get it to work:

1st the apache web server on the diskstation is set up by default with directory listing disabled. This needs to be changed so that Roksbox can parse the directory (unless you are using the .xml method).

Simply create a .htaccess file (unix line endings) in your /web directory with the following text:

Options +Indexes

That's all the file needs (the one line). Now a directory listing will be made so you can use Roksbox without using .xml files.

Next log in as root into your synology server (enable ssh access in the web-manager) and create symbolic links for the various folders for example (my sole raid volume is labeled volume1). Capitalization does matter. The following should work with the default label names in Roksbox. You also need to delete the .xml files (leave those spots blank) as well as the subdirectory listing.

cd /volume1/web/
ln -s /volume1/web/video/ Videos
ln -s /volume1/web/photo/ Photos
ln -s /volume1/web/music/ Music
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"WilDD" wrote:
"abe" wrote:
I'm on 10.5.8 so not sure if there are any differences if you are on 10.6 yet or not.

Setting and structure on my Mac:

Web Sharing is turned on.

I have a folder named "media" with the "Sites" folder (Sites is located within your Home folder). I have placed a few test movies saved out using the recommend Handbrake setting within this "media" folder in a "videos" folder.

/Sites/media/videos/...all my video files...

Roksbox settings:

Web Server Address: I've entered the exact same address as what was listed under the personal website in the Web Sharing panel on my Mac.

Media Root Folder: media

Video Folder Path: videos

I deleted all the address for the xml files for all sections. I have not tried anything other than streaming video files from my computer with this channel. So I can't say how the Youtube, music or picture streaming is. But the above setting allowed me to stream video without issues once I created my 'user.conf' file that was missing.

I've yet to figured out how to change the location of my media from anywhere but the default Sites folder that the Apache server apparently uses. I would like to change that to an external hard drive. I've tried altering the user.conf file and using symbolic and alias links but nothing has worked so far. Its a pain having to not only re-encode the files but not being able to store them where I want.

Not sure if any of that helps or not but its what finally worked for me after experimenting.

or
Alias /Videos "Z:\WWW\WWW-pub\Media\Videos"

In Roksbox, you would leave the Media Root folder blank, and use Videos (the name of the alias) for the Video Folder Path.

Sounds about right. On a mac I would also advise making the aliases through the terminal (ln -s [folder with stuff] [alias folder]) or doing it through the apache config file. Also make sure you have apache returning a directory index (I believe it does by default in OSX, but it might not/you might have changed things). Also make sure you remove the default index.html file (obviously).
0 Kudos