Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"RoadRanger" wrote:
Hmm... I was watching a video and it stopped at 1 hour 9 minutes in. I up-arrowed out of it and started at the beginning and fast forwarded near that and it stopped at the same place. I removed some channels and rebooted and now it won't play it at all - "The format is not supported or the media is corrupt.". I get that same message on other files, even one I watched straight through this morning. I rebooted again and tried that file that worked straight through this morning and it still won't play it. I can play some shorted videos but none of the longer ones.

Will the file play locally on a PC in Media Player or another video player?
:: Mark
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"midiwall" wrote:
Seems to be a problem with my webserver - restarting it got things unconstipated again. The two halves of the program I was trying to view both stop at 1:09 for some reason, guess I'll have to re-encode them. I could play them both straight through on the PC via file sharing even when the webserver was being weird.
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Question ... When using the "directory scheme", is there an option to prevent the pre-parsing of all subdirectories and instead just simply display the contents of the current directory (listing subfolders and/or media xml files) as they are found on-the-fly? If not, would you consider adding such an option to roxsbox?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking to provide a web-server interface for PlayOn which woudl be compatible with Roksbox. PlayOn provides a ton of online content, however when Roksbox attempts to pre-parses the directory structure access is very slow and seems to eventually eat up all available the memory.

Thanks,

- EricL
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"RoadRanger" wrote:
"midiwall" wrote:

Seems to be a problem with my webserver - restarting it got things unconstipated again. The two halves of the program I was trying to view both stop at 1:09 for some reason, guess I'll have to re-encode them. I could play them both straight through on the PC via file sharing even when the webserver was being weird.

I've seen stalls with Roksbox that end up in an interesting rebuffering loop (play for 1min, buffer for 20s, play for 1min, etc).. I bring that up 'cause they all seem to start at the 00:56 - 1:03 point. Smiley Happy

I've done two things to make that better - one, my Roku was connecting to my server through a wireless access point. So, Roku->AP->Router->Wired Server. Doing some bandwidth tests with a laptop, I found that the bandwidth was skitchy, being anywhere from 3Mbps-5Mbps in back-to-back tests. Connection straight to the router (though still wireless) got me up to 6.7Mbps. I've since reorg'd my network such that the Roku can connect to the router, bypassing the AP. I'm thinking that will help things in general.

The other thing was a tip I found in a thread of another local media product for the Roku. A user there mentioned that he had issues with stalling at the 1 hour mark when his videos were encoded at 23.xxfps. Reencoding at 29.97 fixed the issue. I'm in the process now of reencoding some test flicks to see what happens.
:: Mark
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"midiwall" wrote:
I've seen stalls with Roksbox that end up in an interesting rebuffering loop (play for 1min, buffer for 20s, play for 1min, etc).. I bring that up 'cause they all seem to start at the 00:56 - 1:03 point. Smiley Happy
I was just trying to watch a file that does that after about 30 minutes - seriously weird! I'm gonna chalk it up to the Roku's present delicate digestion when it comes to consuming video files. i do hope they are working on that :shock: .
The other thing was a tip I found in a thread of another local media product for the Roku. A user there mentioned that he had issues with stalling at the 1 hour mark when his videos were encoded at 23.xxfps. Reencoding at 29.97 fixed the issue. I'm in the process now of reencoding some test flicks to see what happens.
I seem to be OK encoding at 23.xxfps as long as I set x264 to high profile @ level 5.1 and turn on "Enable h264 streaming" - at least this works great for < one hour shows. I'll re-encode a couple files I have that stop at 1:09 tonight - I think they are 25fps from the BBC Smiley Wink . BTW I'm using eRightSoft's "Super" as my encoder.
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"patwheel" wrote:
I came across an issue.

I access the video, open it and the movie starts playing. Whenever I press the up button to quit, the screen goes black and the roku box restarts itself.

1. Does this affect the box? I would not want it to break on me?

I can't see where this would hurt the box. There is no hard drive in it, and it is not powering off and back on, so there isn't much physical activity happening.

2. What can I do to prevent this?

That's a good question. I've never heard of this happening before. Check the way you are encoding your videos. Make sure you use specifications similar to this http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=68.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"eluttmann" wrote:
Question ... When using the "directory scheme", is there an option to prevent the pre-parsing of all subdirectories and instead just simply display the contents of the current directory (listing subfolders and/or media xml files) as they are found on-the-fly? If not, would you consider adding such an option to roxsbox?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking to provide a web-server interface for PlayOn which woudl be compatible with Roksbox. PlayOn provides a ton of online content, however when Roksbox attempts to pre-parses the directory structure access is very slow and seems to eventually eat up all available the memory.

Thanks,

- EricL

Roksbox doesn't parse the first level of folders below the video root folder. It uses them as the main top level categories, then parses each one as you navigate to it. You can quickly navigate across the top level categories without parsing each one until you stop on it.

I don't know how PlayOn organizes its folders and sub folders, but the most efficient way when using Roksbox is to divide your content into as many folders as you can at the first level, then branch out from there. Let me know whether this is feasible or not. I think the idea of integrating Roksbox with PlayOn is good, and I am willing to help make it work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"eluttmann" wrote:

The reason I ask is because I'm looking to provide a web-server interface for PlayOn which woudl be compatible with Roksbox.

Thanks,

- EricL

Glad to see you here Eric. I happily used your vmcNetflix plugin until Silverlight finally broke it for good. I think a lot of people would like to see something like vmcPlayIt on Roku.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox - support request

Hi. Is there any way to better diagnose the problem I am having:

-readyNAS duo (apache2) web server
-website and virtual directories set up OK (can see them and their contents OK in IE and FF)
-configured roksbox to those directories, correctly I think (it can find the default youtube videoqueue.xml ok...says it can, but never progresses to the next screen)
-I removed XML configuration paths in the My Options section, trying to do only directory structure test
-added 4 pictures to photos subdir, and 5 mp3s to music\artist\album subdir
-when I take the roxbox channel to my pictures or my music, it says "parsing directory structure" for about 30 seconds, and then bails back to the default channel lineup page without error.

I really want this to work...exactly what I was trying to do today...any ideas?

Thanks,
Sam
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Please help a Mac OSX user!

I am clearly missing something in the instructions but I can't figure it out.

I have the Web Server set up on my Mac and can see it both from local host and from my iPhone on my home network. I left the Media root blank and used Movies, Music, and Pictures for the appropriate media folder names.

When I try to access any of the media folder, Roksbox thinks for a couple of second and then quits out to the main channel lineup.

What part of the configuration have I missed or screwed-up?

Thanks!
0 Kudos