Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
absorbine
Level 7

resume

some of you may understand the answer to this more than others. 

first, i am a day 1 rookie for this forum group. 

on some stations, one can start watching a program again, because there is a "resume" function.  sometimes, even with the same show, the resume function will disappear, then you have to ff & rewind to find your place.  other stations & programs never have a resume.  therefore, one has to spend a long time, often,  to find where one left off.

here's my gripe:  i relly like roku, but if every show & station doesn't use the resume function, it then makes the whole roku experience, a piece of crap!!!

is there a solution?!!

absorbine
0 Kudos
7 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: resume

That is usually referred to as trick play (FF, Rewind, Resume). It is completely up to the service if it's available or not. Amazon and Netflix has it. YouTube can FF and rewind, although the video provider has the ability to control if you see frame shots as you move. And resume is hit or miss, possibly for the same reason.
Beyond that, it's tough to say which channel offers trick play and which doesn't. You didn't list the channels you've had issues with, so no one can say of their experience is the same. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
absorbine
Level 7

i have had problems with them all.  (i realize that i'm not going into details, but i could list my channels.)  even the channels that do have the resume feature, it seems to me, if you don't resume for a few days, the resume disappears.  this non-feature is almost a reason for me to hangup roku,  which i really love.  i will never understand why the channels can't see the importance of this feature!!!
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"absorbine" wrote:
i have had problems with them all.  (i realize that i'm not going into details, but i could list my channels.)  even the channels that do have the resume feature, it seems to me, if you don't resume for a few days, the resume disappears.  this non-feature is almost a reason for me to hangup roku,  which i really love.  i will never understand why the channels can't see the importance of this feature!!!

Are you certain that's a Roku thing? Are you certain this isn't true for Apple TV, also? Or Fire TV? As I rarely pause something overnight, I haven't encountered the problem you describe, if I'm understanding what you're saying. I've not encountered it on my Apple TV or Fire TV, either, but, as I said, I don't leave anything paused for a long period of time.

Just to make sure you're aware, Roku rarely writes apps. Often, it's the service provider (Netflix, Hulu, etc) that develops apps for the various platforms, including Roku. If the app developers wrote different functionality into the Roku version than the Apple TV or Fire TV version, then it's their choice, not Roku's. Or Apple's. Or Amazon's.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
absorbine
Level 7

i believe that you're misunderstanding me.  it's not a pause & restart issue.  some channels have a resume button that is very practical, which lets you immediately start watching where you let off.  you don't have to leave the rokuon.  with pause & restart,  you'd need to leave roku on, or you'd lose your place & have to start at the beginning, & ff.

again,  i'm saying that i believe that it's very important for all channels to have the resume function.
0 Kudos
absorbine
Level 7

i believe that you're misunderstanding me.  it's not a pause & restart issue.  some channels have a resume button that is very practical, which lets you immediately start watching where you let off.  you don't have to leave the roku on.  with pause & restart,  you'd need to leave roku on, or you'd lose your place & have to start at the beginning, & ff.

again,  i'm saying that i believe that it's very important for all channels to have the resume function.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"absorbine" wrote:
i believe that you're misunderstanding me.  it's not a pause & restart issue.  some channels have a resume button that is very practical, which lets you immediately start watching where you let off.  you don't have to leave the rokuon.  with pause & restart,  you'd need to leave roku on, or you'd lose your place & have to start at the beginning, & ff.

When I watch YouTube videos, or ShoutFactory videos, or Netflix videos, or Hulu videos, and I stop the video and exit the app, when I go back, it lets me pick right up where I left off. But some apps don't. It's the app developer that determines that.

Or am I still misunderstanding?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Level 9

I understand what you are saying. I agree it really eases things, especially being able to come back days later. It's dependent on the channel however. Try to understand, channels like Netflix, Hulu & others have teams of developers coding. Even some smaller channels likely have a small group doing the coding.

Others, are a small run operation, and when staffing & budgeting for various other things, some coding gets streamlined in a KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) method, only coding in the bare basics to get it operating. (I agree its a great feature, but you're talking loads of coding & possibly recoding or adjusting due to O/S updates, system & firmware changes etc) As to some channels losing it after days, it could be a cache or storage space issue. Some channels might clear the cache quicker than others.
0 Kudos