Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tom_B
Level 7

multiple repeats of the same commercial will play several times

I see this behavior on multiple channels, and it has persisted over months and multiple system updates and versions. I notice it a lot on the CW Channel. When the shows breaks for commercials multiple repeats of the same commercial will play several times or sets of commercials will repeat more than once. Eventually the show I am watching will comes back. Its almost like they don’t have enough commercial stock to fill the hour block for a 46 min network show so the system just runs repeat commercials to fill the time. ROKU/CW is not helping their advertisers here! The ‘Mo-tor’ commercials from Progressive Insurance get to be REALLY - REALLY annoying when you’re seeing like 20 times an hour.

5 Replies
Ken-dhal
Level 7

Re: multiple repeats of the same commercial will play several times

I am seeing similar behavior on the Fox channel. In order to see some feeds you must sit through an advertisement before the video plays. Ok fine I can sit through the same advertisement multiple times, but when the advertisement keeps reloading over and over and not finishing the video can not start. Quite frustrating, causing me to navigate to other channels where I never have the same problem. No channel would want to cause a viewer to go to another channel so it would seem that if this problem is network wide I would have heard something about it, but no I have been searching quite a while to find anything like this, so why only Fox and why no one else reporting the same issue?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the note. You'll want to reach out to any specific channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional support. Each channel is developed and maintained by the channel provider directly—they'll be able to best assist with any issues you may encounter within their channel. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Openview99
Level 7

I am very annoyed over this.  I watch Travel channel and the SciFi channel a lot.  At every break the exact same commercials are on.  Sometimes a commercial with play two to three times in a row.  I am really getting to the point where I will go back to my chromecast that eliminates all commercials.  I was excited about Roku because of the capability to use a remote.  But watching the only three to four commercials that are avialable over and over is not worth it. 

Why dont they play commercials about the next upcoming show for that station?  that is what cable, OTA, satellite do.  Even play the same commercials you see on the cable station?

Very annoyed and about to call it quits with Roku.

0 Kudos
Openview99
Level 7

Great job taking responsibility for what you provide to the customers.  It should not be the customer’s job to look into this.  You provide the service; you should be concerned about this.  Roku should correct this if they want to gain or even maintain customers.  This is obviously a problem and Roku needs to look into it.

That comment is like you going to a restaurant and you order a cut of beef that you have not tried before, but are excited to try it because this restaurant claims to be the best restaurant that serves the tastiest steak around.

You receive it and it was good but every time you took a bite, some pieces would pop off the fork and juice would go up your nose.  You call the waiter to complain about this annoying issue with the steak. He says to you that this is the farmer’s issue. He uses a feed that makes the meat extra juicy and that tends to happen.  You need to call the farmer and explain the issue to him/her.

Would you want go back to that restaurant?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

I apologize for your experience here. I can understand how that may be frustrating.

Roku is a device platform that offers channel/service providers the ability to publish channels (apps). We can certainly help send feedback over to channel providers to let them know about an issue and request they investigate, but Roku does not develop, control or maintain channels (apps) or their content. This is up to each channel provider directly.

This is similar to a scenario where if there were an issue with an app on your mobile device, it would be up to the app developer to resolve the issue, not your mobile device manufacturer. You would need to contact the app developer to report a problem, and request support in order to resolve an issue. 

We'll share your feedback over to the provider, but would encourage you to contact the specific channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional assistance or status updates. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos