Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
preppystud
Level 7

is it easy to cast youtube and other tv channels? (roku 2 is very slow).

i have a roku 2 and a google chromecast. it is very quick to cast youtube by using chromecast, but it takes quite a while to cast youtube by using my roku 2. And sometimes, it just stops without a reason.

i can also watch abc, nbc, etc via roku. however, when i tried to watch videos from Fox, the videos sometimes stopped without a reason. however, it also happened when i tried it with chromecast. i don't use roku often. so i don't know if happens to other tv videos often.

(cbs asks me to pay to watch their programs on roku. it is called cbs all access. but I can watch some of the videos for free if i use the cbs app and cast it via chromecast. i wonder if there is anyway to watch some of the cbs videos for free on roku? ) 

----
my questions:

1. can the newest rock players cast youtube quickly?  (as quickly as chromecast?) 

2. is it possible to cast tv programs via web browsers by using newest roku, or use tv apps to cast videos via newest roku now? 
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: is it easy to cast youtube and other tv channels? (roku 2 is very slow).

"preppystud" wrote:
i have a roku 2 and a google chromecast. it is very quick to cast youtube by using chromecast, but it takes quite a while to cast youtube by using my roku 2. And sometimes, it just stops without a reason.

i can also watch abc, nbc, etc via roku. however, when i tried to watch videos from Fox, the videos sometimes stopped without a reason. however, it also happened when i tried it with chromecast. i don't use roku often. so i don't know if happens to other tv videos often.

(cbs asks me to pay to watch their programs on roku. it is called cbs all access. but I can watch some of the videos for free if i use the cbs app and cast it via chromecast. i wonder if there is anyway to watch some of the cbs videos for free on roku? ) 

----
my questions:

1. can the newest rock players cast youtube quickly?  (as quickly as chromecast?) 

2. is it possible to cast tv programs via web browsers by using newest roku, or use tv apps to cast videos via newest roku now? 

Which Roku 2? There were two models: 2720 and 4210. If it's the 2710, then I'd certainly expect a newer Roku device to work faster. If it's the 4210, a newer one might be faster, but not much faster.

One other thing to remember is that you really aren't casting from your phone to a Roku. Or, to a Chromecast, for that matter. The phone is actually launching the YouTube app on the streaming device, and maintaining a connection for remote control functionality only. The Roku (or Chromecast) is actually connecting to YouTube and playing through it's own app. It is *not* being streamed from your phone.

Chromecast will launch an app quicker than Roku almost every time, so if that's what you're referring to, Roku will lose out to Chromecast every time.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos