Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjlothin
Reel Rookie

iPlayer subtitles - Roku Streambar?

Jump to solution

I have had a Roku 2 for several years, and I've just realised that it doesn't seem to be possible to access BBC iPlayer subtitles with it - there just aren't the relevant buttons on the remote to select the 'S' symbol.

Does anyone know if this is possible on the Roku Streambar? If so, I'd be happy to make the upgrade. (I realise that subtitles may not be necessary with the Streambar, but actors mumble so much these days I wouldn't want to take a chance!)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: iPlayer subtitles - Roku Streambar?

Jump to solution

@jjlothin

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried enabling the Roku closed caption feature during playback by pressing the * and selecting the appropriate options? If you are trying to access the subtitles through the channel directly, you'll want to contact iPlayer support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach iPlayer support here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@jjlothin

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried enabling the Roku closed caption feature during playback by pressing the * and selecting the appropriate options? If you are trying to access the subtitles through the channel directly, you'll want to contact iPlayer support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach iPlayer support here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jjlothin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Not sure who adopted this as a 'solution', as it certainly hasn't solved anything for me!

Thanks for your response, but yes, I have tried the * on my (current) Roku 2, and no options whatsoever come up.

And I've now also looked at the iPlayer 'support' site - which gives no support whatsoever!

What I'd like to know is simply whether, if I upgrade to the Streambar, I'm still going to have this problem - i.e. Roku + iPlayer = incompatible (on the subtitle front at least).

0 Kudos
BM2470

Jump to solution

Not sure what Roku this is specifically but Have you tried :

when pressing pause / play on Roku Remote (during the programme you are watching) there are 3 symbols appear at the top, the middle a box like a square speech bubble with 3 lines in 

press up arrow to access these 

select said box, this is the subtitles access and can turn them on or off

hope this helps!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thankyou, this is great advice. The subtitles now work as you describe.

Thankyou

0 Kudos