Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long to load Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

Hello,

Sorry I couldn't find this else where.

With new Roku boxes (for example Roku Ultra) how long does it take between the time I decide I want to watch a show on Netflix or Amazon Prime until I actually begin watching the show (assuming fast network ~50 Mbps).

I ask because when I use the Netflix apps on my TV or TiVo or BluRay player there is a substantial time (on the order of 20-30 seconds) for loading the Netflix app before browsing for shows and then actually choosing and watching the show on TV.

Does Roku have a similar time to load its apps?

Thank you, and sorry for the basic question.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dreamfield42
Level 7

Re: how long to load Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

I have 100mbps possible connectivity and when I use my TV apps for Netflix it often times out, but with my Roku Netflix loads almost instantaneously. 
0 Kudos

thank you!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Some apps will preload the video and playback is almost instantaneous. The new Roku channel seems to do this. But at worst I've never seen it take more than a few seconds to load something from Amazon, YouTube or Netflix. I have a 60 Mbps DSL connection.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

thanks, a few seconds means less than 5ish?  And, to be clear, I realize things are pretty fast once the app is open.  I'm mostly talking about the time to open the Netflix, etc app itself.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

With he Ultra it should be quick for the app to open.. for devices like the Stick and Express there might be a 5 second delay, because the channels aren't all stored in the device, they're cached.. so if Amazon and Netflix are what you primarily use, they should remain in cache pretty often, and load pretty quickly.. but as I said earlier, the Ultra has more storage, so you should be fine.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"markhargrove28" wrote:
thanks, a few seconds means less than 5ish?  And, to be clear, I realize things are pretty fast once the app is open.  I'm mostly talking about the time to open the Netflix, etc app itself.

Oh, the app itself. OK. Well, part if the opening is connecting to the server, so certainly your Internet connection could impact that. The Roku generally has Netflix code running in the background unless the box is freshly powered up. So Netflix usually opens within a matter of seconds, certainly well less than 10. Amazon generally opens within 5 seconds as well. I will mention that the performance of the Roku has some bearing as well. My old 2 XS can be painfully slow, which is why I don't use it any longer. My Ultra, 4, Stick and Sharp TV all open channels very quickly. My Insignia TV is a hair sluggish, mostly with YouTube, which is notorious for less than stellar performance. But even the Insignia can open Amazon in about 6-7 seconds and be ready to browse for a movie.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Lgb0250
Level 7

Just tried my Streaming Stick and it took 6 sec for Amazon Prime and 4 for Netflix. I can live with that.
0 Kudos

thanks, all.  Very helpful.
0 Kudos