Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allan62
Level 7

decades channel

I'm new here and to streaming i bought the streaming stick+  And was wondering when the Decades channel will launch or where i can find it? :?: any help will be appreciated.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: decades channel

For those who didn't know -- which, until just a few minutes ago, included me -- there is a "Decades" network that is carried over the air in 65 cities. It's a "classic tv" network similar to the much larger Me TV (around 200 affiliates) or Antenna TV (around 140 affiliates) in that it carries old TV shows from the 50s-80s. While there are 65 cities in the US where it's available over the air, it's available in more locations via cable systems.

To OP: A search of the Decades Website doesn't indicate they are available streaming in a standalone app on any device. There is no app in the iOS App Store, the Google Play Store, or the Amazon store.

Whether or not Decades ever has an app for any device is up to Decades. If they write one (or contract to write one) then they'll be on as many platforms as they decide they want to support. Currently, they're on 0. If your nearest affiliate is available via some "local channel" package on a streaming service like Sling TV, DirecTV Now, YouTube TV, or the like, you'll be able to watch via a subscription to one of those services. Check the individual services to see if they have a local channels package for your area, and if it includes your affiliate. I suspect they likely don't.

So, when will it be available on Roku, or any streaming device? Possibly never. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

Yeah, it's only available via cable or using an Antenna. The only network I know of similar to these that has a Roku Channel is Comet, which is a Sci-Fi classic channel.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 8

There are or were a few other OTAs with Roku channels, but none of them have significant broadcast markets other than Comet (I'm excluding shopping and religious OTA networks, many of which have Roku channels):

AMG TV  (general entertainment - It used to have a few classic TV shows, but I uninstalled it years ago and I don't know what's on it now)
Biz TV (business)
Comet (already mentioned - it's probably the OTA with the widest reach that has a Roku channel)
DrTV (health)
DW (news)
France 24  (news - now requires a subscription)
Heartland (country music videos and related)
MHz used to stream via Roku for free, but I think it now requires a subscription (drama).
MiCasa (English-language targeting an Hispanic audience - though I think that it stopped broadcasting OTA)
Newsmax TV (news)
Pursuit (outdoor recreation)
Rev'n (automobiles)
Stadium (sports)
Tuff TV (targets men)
WeatherNation (weather)
YouToo America (sports and lifestyle)
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos
drwalther
Level 7

FWIW, I HAVE contacted Decades Television on multiple occasions to tell them there is interest in them doing an app, offering a la carte programming through their channel.  I have never received a response worthy of posting here.

However, most people with even a week of Business 101 exposure understand the need to appease customers, their market, so, if ENOUGH of us get after Decades Television....

well, you know...
0 Kudos
fredneck
Level 10

I wish Decades would listen and provide us with a Roku channel. Haven't heard of a business yet that feels they have too many customers and don't need anymore.
Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"fredneck" wrote:
I wish Decades would listen and provide us with a Roku channel. Haven't heard of a business yet that feels they have too many customers and don't need anymore.

I am guessing there might be some issues with local affiliates. Most of the OTA channels have local advertising on them, so somehow they would have to find a way to stream the local affiliate based on your IP address. So, it'd be similar to CBS all Access, ABC, NBC apps. Not saying it's impossible, but makes it a lot harder. Would probably start out in areas where the Channel isn't available via OTA initially, then branch out based on deals with local affiliates.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
MWDXER
Level 11

I heard an ad on Decades (OTA) that they do have a streaming service on Demand, but I have not found the streaming part as yet.
0 Kudos
Tcat007
Level 7

Old post, but I just got it with indoor flat antenna. It's also on YouTube TV. Been watching Ed Sullivan and Laughin. Would be a great Roku channel!
Tags (1)
boogernose
Level 10

I'll necro-bump it as well Because if youre in one of their areas Locast covers these channels.

0 Kudos