Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nan50

Re: commercials on acorn.tv

I have a separate app for Acorn on the Roku Channel. It was commercial free for about a month but now I’m getting commercials even on shows I previously watched. No Roku support available. Anybody have any luck

brassrat
Channel Surfer

Shortly after my original post I noticed a new channel option on my Roku device: "Acorn on the Roku Channel". No problem with commercials there. However, this does not solve the problem when using an external app that does not have this channel option. That said, I no longer have problems with Acorn programming even on the "Roku Channel" either with my Roku device or with my external app. This seemed coincidental to a firmware update I made to my Roku device. Don't know what is going on, but no current problems. BTW: I still purchase Acorn channel through Roku specifically so I can view Acorn with my external app which offers the "Roku Channel" but not either "Acorn Channel" or "Acorn on the Roku Channel" selections.

0 Kudos
Rick1
Reel Rookie

I unsubscribed from acorn on Roku, added acorn channel is; No Commercials

0 Kudos
rpgdocmd96

I have contacted Acorn TV (paid subscription) and they assured me that there are no commercials on Acorn programs. Mine are on a streaming video "Single Handed." They offered that because I access my channels via an Amazon Firestick that Amazon might be responsible. I cannot talk with anyone at Amazon supposedly because of the Coronavirus. I placed a question on one of the Amazon forums and haven't gotten any really helpful feedback. I would suggest that anyone who runs into this problem contact Acorn and Amazon or whatever provider might be responsible until we get an answer.

rpgdocmd96

Boy am I confused. What external app are you referring to? Also, I access Acorn TV via my Firestick but I pay Acorn for the subscription. Never had ads before. If I start to see ads on other programs I will have get out the heavy artillery. 

Unbowed

Nan50, I am having the same experience you did with Acorn TV. Apparently after a month or so what was advertising-free programming through the subscription to Acorn TV through Roku I am seeing them pop up quite a bit in a single program. This is not what I signed up for, and I am shocked that Roku's position is to "check with the programming provider (Acorn TV) as I am paying money to Roku directly, NOT Acorn TV, so expect Roku to take responsibility instead of "um, gosh...we don't know." 

Is this going to be the future experience with Roku....premium subscriptions that start out great then over time evolve into "broadcast" television-like endless streams of adverts interrupting the viewing of programming?

I "cut the cable" cord...for this?

Tags (1)
Poman
Channel Surfer

I've had Acorn via Roku Channel for several months and ads started appearing for the first time on Doc Martin last night. I will not pay a premium for Acorn if commercials are included. I'm going to try a subscription directly through Acorn.

hbp1
Reel Rookie

Commercials on Acorn

After watching Acorn TV, bought through Roku, commercial-free and paying Roku $5 a month, suddenly (today) we get commercials.  We restarted the Roku several times.  I guess the right thing to do is drop our subscription from Roku, and contact Acorn TV directly.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Commercials on Acorn

@hbp1 

Thanks for the inquiry.

What content are you trying to watch on Acorn TV through the Roku Channel? Please be aware that Acorn TV will not be able to assist with content through the Roku Channel, but rather only content  through the channel provider directly.

With more information we will be able to assist you further with the issue you are experiencing.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
hbp1
Reel Rookie

Re: Commercials on Acorn

Danny,

It was the Yorkshire Vet.  It was true for a couple of days, then it went away.  Going in and out of the channel and rebooting the Roku didn't seem to fix it.  The next day, we just didn't have the problem.  I would guess it is a problem with your software.