Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
f_bird93
Level 7

cant watch channels

So i installed trutv, tbs, tnt and when i try to watch them i get the notice that "this program is not in your TV subscription, please contact your        " but it doesnt give me anything/anyone to contact. what gives?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AvsGunnar
Level 10

Re: cant watch channels

All those channels you listed require a TV provider.  Basically DirectTV, ATT, and cable customers can stream this content using their Direct TV, ATT and cable accounts. They are able to use the Roku in place of a cable box. [Look for message that says "Cable or Satellite Required" or the like.]

If you are new to Roku and don't have a cable/satellite provider, you can install Free Channels, or choose to subscribe to these channels sometimes directly, although not usually, or use another service like Hulu or Sling that provides access to these channels you listed for a monthly package fee.

From your home screen, look for a Channel tile that says Roku Tips&Tricks that will explain how the Roku system works.  Otherwise https://www.roku.com/how-it-works

It is a learning process.  Using the Roku doesn't just give you access to any Channel for free.  Many are free, others you have to subscribe to either individually or as part of a package, normally on a monthly basis.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: cant watch channels

@f_bird93 wrote:

So i installed trutv, tbs, tnt and when i try to watch them i get the notice that "this program is not in your TV subscription, please contact your        " but it doesnt give me anything/anyone to contact. what gives?

Cable-type channels want to be paid. When you have a paid subscription to a provider service that carries these channels, they receive their pay out of the subscription fees you pay that provider. When you don't have a subscription to such a provider you are not paying for those channels.

Many cable-type channels only make their programming available for streaming to those paying for them through a provider as mentioned above. That service doesn't have to be a bloated cable or satellite service however. There are several you can subscribe to and run on a Roku that may carry the channels you are interested in. Ones that come to mind to check out for any particular channel would include YouTube TV, Hulu plus Live TV, Sling, and AT&T NOW -- there may be others.

There are several places on the net where you can look up which providers carry a particular channel of interest. Here are a couple such pages:
https://thestreamable.com/channels
https://www.groundedreason.com/cord-cutting/tv-streaming/how-to-stream-by-channel/

Savings in cord cutting usually come from picking and choosing which of the offerings you wish to pay for instead of paying for full blown cable or satellite services with scores of channels you never watch.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos