Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
europe123
Level 7

automatically update my playlist from an online source?

Hi,
I'd like to know if after creating my m3u playlist and saving it to the USB drive, I can automatically update its contents from an online source?
For example, if I store my playlist online at http://myaddress.com/mylist.m3u and then edit it online, will Roku Media Player be able to read the new changes without me having to unplug the USB, plug it into the computer, copy the new playlist over, plug it back to the Roku? I guess there would have to be a file pointing to the online source on the USB, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

P.S. I'm not talking about syncing the contents (just like Dropbox does), rather "reading" the playlist from an online source, and once it's changed, the new content is displayed on Roku Media Player.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: automatically update my playlist from an online source?

There's no way to alter the playlist on the USB drive without taking the steps you mention. But if I understand what you are attempting, you want a local playlist to read an online playlist, and play whatever the online list has. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I've never heard of someone using a double connect playlist. I have my doubts, but RokuDale would be the one to provide a definitive answer. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
europe123
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
But if I understand what you are attempting, you want a local playlist to read an online playlist, and play whatever the online list has. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I've never heard of someone using a double connect playlist. I have my doubts, but RokuDale would be the one to provide a definitive answer.

That is exactly what I'm trying to achieve. It would be so much easier and convenient if I could only update my online playlist and the USB would read the address and play the updated content automatically. Please chime in if you have any workarounds. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd appreciate this functionality.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Chained playlists are not supported.
There are some dlna media servers like Windows Media Center that support playlists. RMP will access those playlists provided by the dlna server.
0 Kudos