Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Gorlash
Level 7

accessing content on home network

We have a Roku 4400K, and have connected it (wired) to our internet router.  It is able to access and stream content from all of the available sources such as Netflix, Hulu, etc.  That all works fine.

However, I want to be able to connect to a machine on our home network, so we can play music and video files.  I cannot find any instructions for how to do this, and nothing on any of the settings screens looks in any way relevant.  When I search on the internet for anything such as 'home network content', all I find are sites telling me how to connect to the router and internet, which is not what I need.

What am I missing???

not all those who wander are lost
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: accessing content on home network

@Gorlash 

Thanks for the question here. If you're referring to playing media from a computer or other source connected to your home network, you'll need to use a channel such as Roku Media Player, Plex, or Emby, to connect to a DLNA server in order to stream your own hosted content to a Roku device. 

You can learn more about setting up Roku Media Player here: https://support.roku.com/article/208754908-how-do-i-use-roku-media-player-to-play-my-videos-music-an...

You can add the Roku Media Player channel to your Roku account/device in the Roku channel store here: https://channelstore.roku.com/details/2213/roku-media-player

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Gorlash
Level 7

Okay... I enabled DLNA on my Windows 7 machine, and added my videos directory to the Videos library.

The videos directory is shared, with Read access for 'everybody'

We then went to our Roku, and ran Roku Media Player.  It sees my Videos directory, but there are multiple problems:

1. when I connect to that server, it shows a few files, and 'maybe' directories, but the names there mostly don't match what I have in the videos folder.

2. any time I try to run a video file that I *do* recognize, it fails with:
Server connection error
Not able to connect to DERELICT:ascender: please check your connection.

I don't know what to do beyond this.
I saw comments from 2018 about this message, on another Roku thread, but the recommendations there did not correlate with the options that we have here; in particular, it said to check system info on Roku Media Player, but no such option exists, and we don't know what version we have.

I will include an image which shows our Roku system info, in case that is useful.
Please advise how we should proceed at this point??
roku system info.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@Gorlash wrote:

Okay... I enabled DLNA on my Windows 7 machine, and added my videos directory to the Videos library.

The videos directory is shared, with Read access for 'everybody'

We then went to our Roku, and ran Roku Media Player.  It sees my Videos directory, but there are multiple problems:

1. when I connect to that server, it shows a few files, and 'maybe' directories, but the names there mostly don't match what I have in the videos folder.

2. any time I try to run a video file that I *do* recognize, it fails with:
Server connection error
Not able to connect to DERELICT:ascender: please check your connection.

I don't know what to do beyond this.
I saw comments from 2018 about this message, on another Roku thread, but the recommendations there did not correlate with the options that we have here; in particular, it said to check system info on Roku Media Player, but no such option exists, and we don't know what version we have.

I will include an image which shows our Roku system info, in case that is useful.
Please advise how we should proceed at this point??

The built in Windows DLNA functionality is terrible. If your media isn't in a Roku compatible format, it provides very limited ability to transcode. I strongly recommend using something different. Plex and Emby are two good servers that have dedicated Roku apps that provide a user interface that is similar to Netflix or Prime. While they both offer DLNA functionality, I think their native apps are better to use. 

For a basic DLNA server, I usually recommend Serviio. It has a number of specially created Roku profiles to ensure you can play supported media without transcoding, but offers transcoding for all unsupported media.

With DLNA. you use the Roku Media Player, which provides a basic user interface. You get some basic metadata (cover image, resolution and movie synopsis). Most media allows trick play (fast forward, rewind and resume), but not all. 

Disclaimer: I am the author of the Roku profiles included with Serviio, but I am not involved in any other way other then being a forum moderator. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Gorlash
Level 7

Okay, thanks for the info!  I'll look at some of these other options.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@Gorlash wrote:

Okay, thanks for the info!  I'll look at some of these other options.

Could you clarify something for me?  When RMP is saying "cannot connect to server", is that because files are in a format that it can't convert?  Or is something else going on?

That message usually means what it says, in that it's lost connection to the server. Yes, it could happen with media that is not supported by a Roku device. But as I said Windows is just a terrible DLNA server and it might just be some Windows glitch. If you can provide the media info for a few of the titles that won't play, I can tell you if a Roku will play them. The easiest way for a Windows user to get that information is with a free program called MediaInfo. 

For video, Roku players only support a limited number of containers (MP4, MKV, MOV and TS/M2TS), as well as video and audio codecs. For video, it's only H.264 and MP4, with some newer players also supporting H.262/MPEG-2 and the 4K players support H.265/HEVC. For audio, it has to be Dolby Digital (AC3), PCM, MP3 or 2 channel AAC. A good DLNA server will pass through the supported codecs and containers, and transcode whatever isn't supported. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Gorlash
Level 7

Okay, I installed Serviio... it shows a small number of my videos, and those that it shows, will play, but I'm getting severe sound glitches with some of them.  I'm not asking for help with that here (I'll pursue it on their support forum), but that demonstrates exactly what you have said, that the Windows DLNA server is not viable - and that RMP works fine!  Thank you for your help !!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@Gorlash wrote:

Okay, I installed Serviio... it shows a small number of my videos, and those that it shows, will play, but I'm getting severe sound glitches with some of them.  I'm not asking for help with that here (I'll pursue it on their support forum), but that demonstrates exactly what you have said, that the Windows DLNA server is not viable - and that RMP works fine!  Thank you for your help !!

Well, it'll likely be me helping you on that forum as well, but the first thing to do is to assign the correct profile to your Roku in the Serviio console. By default the basic profile transcodes far more than necessary for the newer players. Since you have a Roku 4, you should be using the profile named "Roku 4K Media Player".

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Gorlash
Level 7

Wow, that was fantastic!!  Now (with the Roku 4K profile) we see all our video files, with proper names.

However, I'm having problems with sound in some video formats.  Here's what we see so far:
mp4: plays fine, audio and video

mpg, wmv: video is fine, but sound is corrupted; hard to describe exactly what's wrong, but it sounds like 3 out of every 4 samples is mis-translated or something, it's really un-listenable !!

flv: sound is good, but no video at all (I realize that's a very old format, but I have a bunch of older videos in that)

mov: either doesn't play at all, or we get sound corruption, like the mpg and wmv

and if you want me to move this to the serviio forums, I'll happily do that, since it's likely not a Roku issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Yeah, let's carry on in the Serviio forums. If someone here wants to follow along, we're moving to https://forum.serviio.org/

Dan
0 Kudos