Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mlichvar
Level 7

Re: YouTube app delay, when starting videos

This Is happening to me as well and it is really frustrating. Can Roku please address this and advise what needs to be done?!?  Otherwise it’s on to a different streaming device for me. 

0 Kudos
jmahone4
Level 8

Re: Youtube Freeze Roku 4 (4400x) SW Ver 9.3.0 - 4132.17

I have the same freezing issue described throughout this thread. Happens on most but not every YouTube video. Starts with first second of loading and the freeze will last several seconds. Tried all the potential solutions described here, but no fix. I hope Roku will have a solution soon!

0 Kudos
Steve0Yea
Level 7

Same issue here.  Roku 4 9.30 it freezes at least 3-5 seconds and shows 0.00 out of 0.00 playtime.  Then starts, never had any issues before this.  Please fix it its driving me nuts.

0 Kudos
Nebo1ss
Level 9

Are you sure yours is freezing 3-5 seconds. If mine was doing that i would not have a problem with it, mine freezes for 20 to 25 seconds. I suspect you might be under estimating the length of time it freezes for. 

0 Kudos
smokeyPete
Level 7

No, you are correct. The pause is more like 10 seconds now. It's funny, the forum URL ends with roku.com but from the lack of even an acknowledgement from someone at Roku support of this issue you would think this is a private independent fourm.

0 Kudos
simnux
Level 7

I did see, in another thread involving youtube misbehaving, a response stating that channel problems are the responsibility of the providers. In other words, roku doesn't write the youtube app, so it's a youtube problem and not something roku can solve.

I take that to mean, that while google may have lurkers here, the appropriate place to be reporting youtube app problems might be a youtube support page, not here.

But, maybe, just maybe, all the complaints here might result in little extra pressure on google from roku!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@simnux wrote:

I did see, in another thread involving youtube misbehaving, a response stating that channel problems are the responsibility of the providers. In other words, roku doesn't write the youtube app, so it's a youtube problem and not something roku can solve.

I take that to mean, that while google may have lurkers here, the appropriate place to be reporting youtube app problems might be a youtube support page, not here.

But, maybe, just maybe, all the complaints here might result in little extra pressure on google from roku!

That is a correct statement. Except for The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player, Roku themselves are not responsible for the individual channels, both their creation and support. So for YouTube, it is the responsibility of Google to resolve issues with their channel. I have no idea how much influence Roku might have over other developers. I doubt any pressure from Roku would mean much to a company their size. They'd probably prefer we all switch to Chromecast (not a chance for me).

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
smokeyPete
Level 7

@atc98092 wrote:

@simnux wrote:

That is a correct statement. Except for The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player, Roku themselves are not responsible for the individual channels, both their creation and support. So for YouTube, it is the responsibility of Google to resolve issues with their channel. I have no idea how much influence Roku might have over other developers. I doubt any pressure from Roku would mean much to a company their size. They'd probably prefer we all switch to Chromecast (not a chance for me).

Fair enough, so in that case can Roku or someone advise me on how to revert to a prior release of their OS? All these fancy new features are worthless to a person who watches youtube 80% of the time.

0 Kudos
Bez
Level 7

Re: Youtube: videos freeze for a bit before starting on 9.3 update. Didn't happen on 9.2

There has been several updates, none of which improved the issue on my Roku 4. I have deleted the youtube app, rebooted, re-added the app back without an improvement in the stalling or freezing of videos.  

I am experimenting with a possible workaround on the premise that someone the youtube app for Roku cannot full decipher the proper resolution of each video. I set the resolution on a single video from a non-setting or auto to 1080p. Tentatively this helped to eliminate the problem on 1080p videos only in my VERY LIMITED testing. (going to do more testing when I can.) But going to a lower native resolution (very old) the stalling/freezing issue returns. I have NOT tried starting out at a lower resolution and seeing it that helps with all resolutions/all videos. Still testing the hypothesis. Hope this gives all of you something to test. I have no idea if this actually the solution or not. I am hopeful.

0 Kudos
grimblefritz
Level 7

Re: Youtube: videos freeze for a bit before starting on 9.3 update. Didn't happen on 9.2

I have opened a thread in the YouTube community, for those who would like to continue in Google's forum.

0 Kudos