Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Youtube: videos freeze for a bit before starting on 9.3 update. Didn't happen on 9.2

Youtube: videos freeze for a bit before starting on 9.3 update. This didn't happen on 9.2. The stall happens on all videos now. 

On a positive note: 9.3 now has Dolby TrueHD and even PCM (2 channel) sound great now. Nice.

Tags (1)
71 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Youtube: videos freeze for a bit before starting on 9.3 update. Didn't happen on 9.2

Tube is a nightmare since my ROKU updated yesterday. Frequency freezing and long delays on startup.

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Youtube: videos freeze for a bit before starting on 9.3 update. Didn't happen on 9.2

My hardwired Roku 4 (4400X) updated last night to 9.3.0 build 4132.  Before the update YouTubeTV and YouTube were working perfectly.  Today, Youtube loads a video S L O W L Y.....I mean really slow.   Checked for an update - nothing.   YouTubeTV, the same.  But, there was an update for YouTubeTV this afernoon......still loads a program a lot slower than normal.   Any ideas why this is happening???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Bez @Nebo1ss @BoblK 

Thanks for the note.

Can you please send me a private message with the following information:
-Roku account email address
-device serial number (found in Settings>System>About)
-can you provide example of the content that you are trying to watch? Does this issue happen on "Free with Ads" movies or purchased content?
-channel version build (found by selecting the channel in your home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when you see this issue (press Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times)

With that information, I will be able to look further into the issue and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

i already sent a private message with all the information you requested.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Bez wrote:

Youtube: videos freeze for a bit before starting on 9.3 update. This didn't happen on 9.2. The stall happens on all videos now. 

On a positive note: 9.3 now has Dolby TrueHD and even PCM (2 channel) sound great now. Nice.

I haven't seen any issues with YouTube playback on my 4640. In fact, I'm watching YT right now on it. 

How have you tested TrueHD? My DLNA server transcodes all lossless audio to DD, but I can disable that for testing. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

The issue that i think many of us are seeing is not the the video does not eventually play its when you select a new video the screen freezes either on a blank screen or the first frame of the video for an extended time before starting. This could be anything between 20 and 30 seconds. So much in fact that you begin to doubt it is going to start and you might press back button and try again. If you wait long enough it always starts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Youtube Freeze Roku 4 (4400x) SW Ver 9.3.0 - 4132.17

Checking with anyone to see if they are having a similar issue, one of my two Roku 4 units seems to have updated to Version 9.3.0 and suddenly all Youtube Videos play for about 1/2 of a second, freeze for about 10 seconds then pick back up again. 

My 2nd Roku 4 hasn't updated yet and is still running 9.2.0 - 4807-17 with no issues. As well no other Roku units that I own are showing this behavior.  Wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue on the 4400x units. 

Cheers! 

Miguel

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Youtube Freeze Roku 4 (4400x) SW Ver 9.3.0 - 4132.17

I'm having the exact same issue. Been searching around but no resolution yet. I hope Roku patches this soon. As with you, it started with the 9.3.0 upgrade.

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Youtube Freeze Roku 4 (4400x) SW Ver 9.3.0 - 4132.17

Since I started having the trouble with release 9.3 there have been two system updates on my Roku 4.  I'm now on 9.3.0 build 4143-7.  I haven't mentioned it before, but I also use a MicroSD Card 32GB of which 6% is used.

YouTube still exhibits the same problem.  A very long pause on most channels before starting playback.

With the latest build, YouTubeTV now also exhibits the same problem.

Anyone else seeing the same issues?

Our Roku Ultra does NOT exhibit this issue.  It is still on 9.2.

Bob

0 Kudos