Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lombana
Level 8

Re: Youtube Freeze Roku 4 (4400x) SW Ver 9.3.0 - 4132.17

Stop telling people to waste their time removing channels just to add them back in! If the code is broken, removing the app and adding it back in does nothing but replace the same code in the Roku unit and the problem goes on forever. Incidentally thanks to 9.3 all you have to do it STAR click on the app and you can update to the latest code but then that won't do anything because the issue is that it's still broken. 

Work with Youtube, work with you own coders and get it fixed, then push out the update to the masses to fix it for everyone once and for all. This problem is incredibly annoying and now it seems to have occasionally manifested itself on Hulu as well. When playing back video from ABC the first few seconds may skip or stutter before they sync back up. 

I have checked router logs, there are no red flags in fact I have moved my Roku units to a DMZ to make sure the issue isn't on my end (not that I ever thought it was but wanted to rule it out). 

I have also forwarded a PVT message to Cordcutters so that he can blast out a mass message to his large user base, which should show how big this problem is and actually draw some attention to it. 

For what it's worth I was able to downgrade my units to 9.2 and viola they worked perfectly until they were pushed a 9.3 upgrade less than 24 hours later and broke again. 

Really annoyed at the attitude from "tech support" that all you have to do is magically reinstall the app and everything will work perfectly... how about having one of the actual engineers that fix the issues write a message that states the issue is fixed and if not please tell us about it using a more official channel than a bulletin board. 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

In the first place, there are times a simple uninstall/reinstall works. And not just on Roku devices. I've seen the same advice for the Nvidia Shield, as well as the Fire TV.

There's nothing Roku themselves can do about the code. It is the sole property of Google, and only they can fix and release a new version. Sure, Roku can ask, beg, cajole, etc. But it's completely up to Google to fix the problem. And since it doesn't appear to happen to everyone, an intermittent problem is far more difficult to track down. I had one program I wrote once that I included every possible check to ensure a user didn't enter an invalid entry. They still figured out a way to do it. Smiley Very Happy

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
BoblK
Level 9

I just deleted YouTube, did a system restart, reloaded the YouTube app and nothing has changed.  Still have the delay before a video plays.  Sometimes you get a blank screen for 10-15 seconds, then it plays, sometimes it plays for about 1/2 second then freezes, then plays in 10 to 15 seconds..

As I mentioned in an earlier post, after the last system software update for 9.3, YouTube TV now hesitates before playing a show also.  I timed one show about 2 days ago and it was a 25 second delay before it started.   Also as mentioned before, neither YouTube nor YouTube TV had this problem on version 9.2.

My current build is 9.3.0 build 4143-17

Bob

0 Kudos
Nebo1ss
Level 9

I received a private message from DANNYR at ROKU indicating that the problem has been fixed and that i should delete the channel reboot the device, reinstall the channel and try it again.

Needless to say i did this and the problem is still the same.

It is not helpful comment on experience with other manufacturers devices that are not experiencing this problem. Not is it helpful to complain about users who are unhappy with ROKU support in resolving this. If you are using a ROKU 4 and not experiencing the problem then by all means let us know but i doubt there are any such users.

This problem was caused by the update from 9.2 to 9.3. there is no doubt about that. However, it is possible that 9.3 has an incompatibility with the version of youtube being used. The onus is on ROKU to work with the APP developer if they think such an incompatibility exist. Since the problem appears to be limited to the ROKU 4 only it could also be a compatibility issue between 9.3 and the hardware.

My use of the ROKU 4 is limited to Youtube and PLEX and i am not experiencing any problems on PLEX.

Nebo1ss
Level 9

I did as you suggested. Removed the channel. Rebooted the device and reinstalled the channel when it came back up.

This has not resolved the problem.

Back to you.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Nebo1ss @BoblK 

Thanks for the update.

I have passed along the information to the appropriate team and they are working on the issue. Will post again once I have an update regarding the issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
grimblefritz
Level 7

I just tried the following with my 4400:

Removed YouTube

Forced a system update check (none found)

Restarted

Reinstalled YouTube

Problem still exists. VERY annoying. We need a solution, preferably one that is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

0 Kudos
grimblefritz
Level 7

Knowing even little things can lead to aha moments. I've tried this three times and each time the FIRST video plays with no delay, and then the delay returns. Maybe a cache or hash problem?

0 Kudos
LwSii
Level 7

I have the same issue with Youtube videos on my Roku 4.

0 Kudos
BoblK
Level 9

Danny,

I just upgraded to 9.3.0 build 4150-7 this afternoon.  Not really any improvement for YouTube.  YouTube TV has gotten worse.  I had everything powered down.  Turned on the Roku, the TV and my receiver ( I use the optical out for audio - don't think I have mentioned that before) and went to NBC for the nightly news.  It took 125 seconds to pull up a picture.  The picture was frozen.  I let it go for another 120 seconds with no audio and a still frozen picture.  I went back the they YouTube TV channel listings.  Selected NBC again and it started playing with no hesitation.  There is definitely something wrong with 9.3.0 that has not been figured out yet.   My 4400X-Roku4 is hard wired.  No wireless.  My connection test shows 90 Mbps.

Our Roku Ultra is running wireless connection on the 5GHz band with a connection speed of 80 Mbps and is still on 9.2 with zero issues.

Bob