Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
berg5500

Youtube pause

Jump to solution

It's ridiculous when you pause on youtube videos that a screen comes up and covers half of the video. Generally, when I pause I want to see some important info -- parts list, whatever. There doesn't seem to be anyway around this. -- plain stupid. Is there a fix?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Youtube pause

Jump to solution

@berg5500 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Youtube support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Youtube support here: https://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en#topic=9257498

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@berg5500 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Youtube support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Youtube support here: https://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en#topic=9257498

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
idiot_feature
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

They don't understand TV.

TamaCF

Jump to solution

I've been going through a  ridiculous back-and-forth with roku customer service for 2 weeks about this very issue. It's started about 2 months ago, and it's on every channel I watch not just YouTube it's on every single one of them. Every day they send me a new ridiculous request such as:

what channels you watch, what happens again, you have to talk to the individual channels, can you show us pictures of what the screen looks like, what channels do you actually watch. They obviously did something with their platform, they don't want to acknowledge it or don't know what to do to fix it and they're completely ignoring those of us who are asking them for help. I watch a lot of foreign shows and as you said, pause now covers half of the screen. 

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Though I agree and sympathize with your "pause dimming/obscuring frustration", you are wasting your time taking this issue to Roku, as indeed it is the channel/app providers that control their channel/app functionality.

That being said, the prolonged dimming/graying coupled with screen obscuring during pause probably comes from a couple of modes of thought by the developers:

1)  Pause obviousness (users know its in pause mode, because the video is obscured in the background and the playback controls are emphasized and show in the foreground).

2) Screen/display protection (to prevent/limit "bern in" and "image retention", the screen is dimmed/obscured to prevent these/make them less likely to happen from a prolonged pause, assuming no screensaver).

Many streaming device channels/app/services seem to subscribe to these "pause principles" and its become pervasive across their apps/services on all platforms, not just Roku.

The solution to this would be an user-configurable app setting "dim/obscure on pause" that is enabled by default (that can otherwise be disabled), however, most service/app developers arent really interested much in the UX (User Experience) as much as they are pushing/maximizing content availability and usage (as evidence by this and many other non-user-friendly UX default non-alterable settings).

(NOTE: Why is the word "b u r n" banned?: "The message body contains b u r n, which is not permitted in this community. Please remove this content before sending your post.")

michaelmior
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

After pausing, you can press the back button to hide all the other info that shows on top of the video.

Trila
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Tried that on The CW Network and did not work, just took you all way out to Episode listings.

Did work on a few other channels I tried, depends on the channel it seems.

michaelmior
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, it does depend on the channel. I was referring specifically to YouTube.

Trila
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes I know, I was just adding my 2 cents 🙂

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku has zero control over something like this. It is all controlled by whomever created that specific channel. For YouTube, that's Google. For other channels, you'll need to determine who the developer is (the Roku Channel Store usually shows their name), but it's usually the provider themselves. 

Roku only offers and supports two channels of their own: The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player. Every other channel is developed and supported by someone else. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.