Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dropgate
Level 7

Youtube on Roku Express requires activation every other day

I'm using a Roku Express that's about a year old.  Up until a month or two ago, I never had any problems but since that time, I have to reactivate/log in to Youtube every other day, sometimes daily.  Before this started happening, I was logged in for months at a time without issue.

Anything I can try?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Youtube on Roku Express requires activation every other day

"dropgate" wrote:
I'm using a Roku Express that's about a year old.  Up until a month or two ago, I never had any problems but since that time, I have to reactivate/log in to Youtube every other day, sometimes daily.  Before this started happening, I was logged in for months at a time without issue.

Anything I can try?

Log in to YouTube. Go to the device connections page https://myaccount.google.com/device-activity

Remove your Roku from that list. It may not be listed, or it may be listed multiple times. Make a note of that.

This is also a good opportunity to remove any other devices that you don't want to be logged in to.

On your Roku, remove the YouTube app.

Reboot the Roku.

Add the YouTube channel to the Roku.

Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
dropgate
Level 7

Interestingly, my Roku was not in the device list.  I did delete and reinstall YouTube a couple of days ago with no change in behavior.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"dropgate" wrote:
Interestingly, my Roku was not in the device list.  I did delete and reinstall YouTube a couple of days ago with no change in behavior.

Just a reminder that you have to reboot the Roku between the uninstall and the reinstall. The uninstall isn't successful without it. Strange that it wasn't in your device list. I just checked my device list and I see that none of my Roku players are listed. It only shows my S8, my iPhone, iPad, and a number of Windows computers. And I know I've used YouTube on at least two different Rokus in the last 48 hours. But I don't have any login issues either. The only time I've had to log back into YouTube was after a significant YouTube channel update. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dropgate
Level 7

I'm 99% sure I rebooted in between but I'll try it again.  My device list also showed my phones, tablet, desktops and laptops, too.  No Roku, though.
0 Kudos
dropgate
Level 7

Yeah, I'm back.  Did the full remove/reboot/reinstall thing and once again, two days later I have to reactivate.  This seems to have started with the update that changed the splash screen at launch from red to black.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

One thing to note: If you share your login with any other family member, it is possible that it resets the login whenever they view it.  My son has a Roku at my parents' house when he stays there overnight, and if he watches it there it will reset my login here at home.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
dropgate
Level 7

Nope, but I use the same ID across many devices including my phone, Roku, deskop at work, desktop at home and home laptop.  It was never really an issue until the update I mentioned.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I don't think there should be an issue with multiple platforms, but I'll check into it tomorrow.

One thing you could try on your end is to log out of everything except the Roku, and see if that changes the behavior.  If it does, then we know that's probably the culprit.  I don't think that would be the expected result, however.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
svennn
Level 7

I want to add my name to this problem.

I've tried every which way to fix it.  For the record, it also happens with the new youtube TV app.

I is driving me nuts and makes me wish I never bought the Roku.
0 Kudos