Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
CrankyBeach
Level 7

Youtube on Android tablet no longer casts to TV via Roku

Greetings. I have a Roku 2, and when I first got it a few years ago, I was able to open the Youtube app on my Samsung Android tablet, select a video, click the cast icon, and the video would play on my TV. I think the tablet I was using then had Android version 4.4.2, and I know for a fact that I did NOT have the Roku app installed on that device. 

This evening, after not having tried the above for many months, I tried to cast a Youtube video to the TV from my newer tablet which has Android 7.1.1, but it does not work. All I see is a perpetual spinning blue donut (on the tablet screen) with the message "Connecting to Roku 2 - " followed by my Roku device's serial number (which is correct; I checked it). But it never connects, and never shows up on the TV.

It's still the same TV, with all the same cables, no hardware changes, same internet, same everything except the Android tablet. I'm not sure whether I have ever sent a video to the Roku from the current tablet or not.

I searched and followed every suggestion I found, including installing the Roku app on the tablet. The app could not find the Roku device, so I tried to connect manually. I got a message that there was no device at the IP address specified. Yes, I had the IP address correct. Yes, the tablet and the Roku are on the same network, the network I have been using with no changes for several years now.

I tried everything suggested. I closed the app, disconnected the tablet from the wi-fi, then restarted both. I powered down and restarted the Roku. The only thing I didn't do was reboot the router (because I didn't want to interrupt other ongoing internet processes unrelated to the Roku experiment).

Is it possible that the Roku device has downloaded some firmware update (without my permission) that has rendered it unable to communicate with my tablet? Do I need to factory reset it or something like that?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. Yes, of course I know I can search out and play Youtube videos directly from the Roku itself. But it is a LOT easier to search and find them on the tablet, as opposed to the laborious hunt-and-peck system using the remote to pick out one letter at a time.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ghb51
Level 8

Re: Youtube on Android tablet no longer casts to TV via Roku

The only thing I didn't do was reboot the router

You really should try that, networking can be very finicky and sometimes you just need a router reboot to make sure everything is as it should be. For example, I've had problems with my Plex server occasionally and closing/re-opening Plex and rebooting the machine the server is on has no effect, only rebooting my router allows it reconnect. If that doesn't work you might check if your video was put in a queue in Youtube, I've noticed that's what happens on iOS devices lately and instead of playing automatically you have to cast and then go into the queue and press play for the video to actually start.
0 Kudos
lion7718
Level 8

Re: Youtube on Android tablet no longer casts to TV via Roku

Is the new tablet a Samsung also..??
Using this chart, Feature comparison which model number do you have..??
Have you tried to Cast using a different App then YouTube..??
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos