Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jrod3
Binge Watcher

Re: Channel doesn't load and goes to home screen

Jump to solution

I did a factory reset and reloaded everything and it works for now. Not sure what caused the issue but it working now. I've noticed that YouTube TV is not on the roku store anymore, so a factory reset will remove this channel and it can't be reloaded, but the regular YouTube app works now. Funny how you purchase a product and then have to find a workaround to use it the way it did when you purchased it.

0 Kudos
Jrod3
Binge Watcher

Re: YouTube not working at all

Jump to solution

Trying to force an update does nothing. It tells you that you are up-to-date. Only a factory reset fixed it, but if you have YouTube TV then it will be gone for good and not much you can do to get around this other than using the regular YouTube app and accessing YouTube TV that way. It works, but it's a workaround that we shouldn't have to do just to continue to receive the same service that I started with.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube not working at all

Jump to solution

Factory resetting a Roku will not remove YouTube TV from your account. The only way to lose the channel is to remove it from the device using the normal Remove Channel function. The channel is assigned to the user account, not the device. So it would reinstall after doing a factory reset and linking the Roku back to the same User account. That last part is key, it has to be the same Roku user account that already had YTTV installed. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Isaac_Bar
Reel Rookie

Re: Youtube not working on Roku TV

Jump to solution

Hello, I have checked for new updates and it says I have the latest version. 10.0.0 But youtube still wont work? All my other apps seem to work semi okay, my tv has been shutting off multiple times on its own. This is still recently happening so I was wondering if Im the only one.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You're not looking for a new Roku OS version. Depending on the device. 10.0.0 is the most current. You're looking to update the YouTube channel itself. If you're not getting the latest version, that means that Google hasn't marked it as available for your OS build and/or Roku model. Google is the one that has to resolve that issue, and they need to hear from you that it's still not working for you. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

10.5 has apparently already started rolling out to some devices (and may include YT/YTTV OS10.5 version specific builds - both YT/YTTV and NF do this; it may also include memory management fixes).

Its not YT/YTTV that is being updated (outside of the OS10.5 version specific builds that may exist), its OS middleware being installed/updated & reverted/removed (as both the trigger of the problem and the workaround fix, aside from OS10.5)

YT/YTTV versions (OS10.0/10.1):

Legacy:  2.0.93900086/NA (recent - other versions exist for even older models)

Non-4K (512MB):  2.20.93005146/2.20.93005574 (a week old, several days after app crash onset)

4K-Old (1GB):  2.21.94005087/2.21.94005570  (these are often a build behind New)

4K-New (1GB):  2.21.94005087/2.21.94005570 (4800/394x - soon to be the 4801/3820)

So while YT/YTTV do increase the memory load on the 512MB (and 1GB) models, they were not the trigger of the issue (it was Roku's new middleware pileup:  Roku Browser, Roku Cloud, etc etc), or the source (poor memory management in RokuOS) or the workaround (new middleware removed from 512MB, updated middleware reverted to slightly older versions - again, aside from OS10.5).

Apple TV/AirPlay & HomeKit also suffer the same issues as YT/YTTV for 512MB models (doesnt get as much attention because used less) - they also use external libraries/modules that increase their memory requirements, and are impacted the same way when memory isnt available.

The source of the problem is the poor/buggy memory management of RokuOS (may be fixed in OS10.5), which really impacts the 512MB models, and not the 1GB models (that have plenty of memory to poorly manage).

0 Kudos
Jrod3
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I was able to get it working again, but like you, I tried updating and uninstalling the app and and changing theme packs. None of that worked, but for some reason, a factory reset worked. It installed YouTube with the same build ( version 2.20 • build 93005146) that wasn't working before. So yeah, is it really a Google issue when a factory reset fixes the issue and installs the exact same build as before with different results? If it were on Googles end, wouldn't it be an issue on my Hisense Roku TV as well. My Hisense TV loads YouTube just fine. Just this Roku stick thing was acting up, and it's a Roku made device, not a second party vendor like Hisense. Please explain this.

0 Kudos
Isaac_Bar
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Can you tell me how to contact Google to allow the update of youtube on my roku or whoever can actually help me? thanks.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have walked through all of these suggestions and YouTube still will not launch. I tried for a system update, but none available. I uninstalled YouTube, did restart and then re-installed YouTube, it still will not launch. What do I do now?!?!

0 Kudos
Jrod3
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I did a factory reset and it works now. I tried everything else to no avail, as you did. None of it worked.

0 Kudos