Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lexiecook987
Reel Rookie

YouTube not working at all

Jump to solution

the YouTube app I have on my Roku tv will not open I’ve tried everything and it still won’t open. I’ve reset twice now unplugged my tv, removed the app twice as well and it still won’t open never had any issues with YouTube on my Roku before and all the sudden nothing. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku does not support youtube

Jump to solution

@Emilberger @tawitt @fbicker et al:

The following workaround may work for you.

ATTENTION:  If you still cant load YouTube/YouTube (or other apps):

1) Check for updates:  Settings/System/System update/Check now

2) Restore the default theme:  Settings/Theme/Restore default theme

3) Use a simple screensaver:  Settings/Theme/Screensavers/Roku Digital Clock/Set as screensaver

4) Load YT/YTTV/apps

** EVEN IF YOU ALREADY PERFORMED THESE STEPS, DO THEM AGAIN **

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@fbicker 

That looks like a TCL Roku TV model number. I have an older version (32S302) in a guest room, and it's running Roku OS 10.0.0 build 4209-08, same as yours.

It's running YouTube 2.20 build 93005146, same as yours.

It crashes back to home page after launch.

Removing, rebooting, and reinstalling does not help, as others have reported. I'm confirming this for YT 2.20

That seems to confirm that YouTube hasn't made version 2.21 available to certain Roku devices yet, and the ones people are reporting are TCL Roku TVs. I'm not yet comfortable saying it's all TCL Roku TVs, but it is definitely some TCL Roku TVs. It could be other brands as well.

Google determines what versions of their apps work on what Roku devices. In fact, all app developers do. It appears that Google has not yet rolled out 2.21 to all devices, and the devices we've found are all TCL Roku TVs running 10.0.0 b93005146. YouTube app 2.21 works on my devices that have that update.

Perhaps @RokuDanny-R or @RokuKariza-D can offer some input. For now, it looks like those with the issue are awaiting an update from Google on the YouTube app.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

lg1222

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem, and it worked earlier today. I'm using a Roku Express 3700X and I've done a re-start, removed the youtube channel, re-started, re-added the youtube channel from the roku channell store and did another re-start and still no connection to youtube. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@lg1222 

Confirm the YouTube app version.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: YouTube not working at all

Jump to solution

@Lexiecook987 

The following workaround may work for you.

ATTENTION:  If you still cant load YouTube/YouTube (or other apps):

1) Check for updates:  Settings/System/System update/Check now

2) Restore the default theme:  Settings/Theme/Restore default theme

3) Use a simple screensaver:  Settings/Theme/Screensavers/Roku Digital Clock/Set as screensaver

4) Load YT/YTTV/apps

** EVEN IF YOU ALREADY PERFORMED THESE STEPS, DO THEM AGAIN **

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Re: YouTube not working at all

Jump to solution

@Lexiecook987 

Some TCL Roku TV devices are running YouTube 2.20, which is crashing on those affected devices.

Users running Roku devices that have YouTube 2.21 are not experiencing the issue.

What version of the YouTube app do you have? Highlight the app, hit the Options button, the version/build is at the top of the popup.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
lg1222

Jump to solution

@DBDukes 

I have youtube v 2.2, build 93005146 from the RokuChannel Store

thanks!

0 Kudos
Amber365

Trouble with YouTube App on TCL Roku TV

Jump to solution

I have done everything, factory reset included. YouTube app will load and then crash back to the home screen. Is anyone else having this problem? I have done everything I’ve seen that is recommended and nothing is working. What is going on?

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@lg1222 

It seems there is an issue with that version of the app. My TCL Roku TV that has that version crashes to the home screen. My other Roku devices that are running 2.21 work great.

Google will have to push the update to certain Roku models in order to resolve this, it seems.

DBDukes