Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Youtube not acting right / not playing anything

Jump to solution

Details:

Model 4630X
Software Version 9.2.0 build 4807-29
Youtube app version: 1.0 build 80000286
Connection: Spectrum 100/10
Wireless AC connection to ROKU (Aruba AP-225 Rev. 8.6.0.4_74969 (Digitally Signed - Production Build)

Issue:

Youtube application will open, but that is all. No videos will play (only black screen); Click 'Search' results in blank screen escept for Youtube logo & nav bar on left; No settings options appear when clicking any option under settings; Not signed in to any user profile within the application; no other applications are currently affected.

Troubleshooting:

Uninstall app; reboot; reinstall app; remove power for 30 seconds; validate nothing is being blocked by firewall; allow ROKU to bypass all security within firewall; tested Google Play Movies (Same CDN as Youtube) & trailers play without issue; searched forums for similar issue w/ recent date, as this just started happening recently (none found); casting from mobile phone to Youtube application plays without issue;

My ROKU Info:
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Youtube not acting right / not playing anything

Jump to solution

UPDATE: To answer your question, yes, I did do that, multiple times.

BUT...today I did something a little different, and it actually worked! So, today when I uninstalled and pulled the power, I let it sit for a few hours unplugged, rather than the typical 15 seconds or so. After plugging it back in, and reinstalling the same version (version number verified) it actually works! So, apparently there is some sort of capacitor in the ROKU that holds some RAM for some period of time greater than 15 seconds?

So, apparently we just need to update the instructions and add lots of PATIENCE into the mix Smiley Happy

I appreciate the follow-up from the community!

Cheers!

@mrjlturner

My ROKU Info:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@mrjlturner 

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to Youtube directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the Youtube channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en#topic=9257498

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R I'll do that. I wanted to post here in the event that others might be having the same issues. I can't seem to find the issue. I have put the ROKU devices in bypass on my firewall (and my AP) and still can't seem to get anything play. I'm going to try and connect it up to my hotspot today which has zero ACLs on it, to see what happens there. Google support is below sub-par on all fronts, so that suggest is all but useless, unfortunately.

My ROKU Info:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R Tested via my hotspot & got the same exact behavior. None of the sub-menu items come up, either. This is frustrating. It is happening on both of my ROKU devices. The Youtube community support doesn't even offer the ROKU as a platform item when requesting/posing a support question. I suppose I'm going to have to wait until a new version to appear. This issue happens whether or not I'm logged into the channel (which by the way I can only do via the mobile app when attempting to cast.) Casting via mobile app doesn't work either. Spins on the mobile, with blank black screen on the TV. Frustrating, and surprising that others aren't seeing this issue as well?

My ROKU Info:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

UPDATE: To answer your question, yes, I did do that, multiple times.

BUT...today I did something a little different, and it actually worked! So, today when I uninstalled and pulled the power, I let it sit for a few hours unplugged, rather than the typical 15 seconds or so. After plugging it back in, and reinstalling the same version (version number verified) it actually works! So, apparently there is some sort of capacitor in the ROKU that holds some RAM for some period of time greater than 15 seconds?

So, apparently we just need to update the instructions and add lots of PATIENCE into the mix Smiley Happy

I appreciate the follow-up from the community!

Cheers!

@mrjlturner

My ROKU Info:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos