Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OpenGNU
Level 7

Youtube doesn't save likes status

If I like a video, even after I finish watching, it doesn't apply the like to said video. Yes I'm logged in, yes my network is good, and yes I have verified this with both revisiting the video in a browser and the app.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Youtube doesn't save likes status

"OpenGNU" wrote:
If I like a video, even after I finish watching, it doesn't apply the like to said video. Yes I'm logged in, yes my network is good, and yes I have verified this with both revisiting the video in a browser and the app.

"Likes" work for me. I just now "Liked" a YouTube video. I then went to the YouTube Website and the "Like" was registered. So, while it didn't save yours, it saved mine. That means something is different between you and me and our respective setups.

It might be helpful if you provided more information, such as what's listed in the Forum Rules at the top of the page. For instance, your Roku model (to include model number, as Roku will recycle device names), and your firmware version (or the Roku), and the app software version.

The simplest reason is that you are not logged in to YouTube on your Roku. I know you said you confirmed you are logged in, but confirm it again.

From within the YouTube app on your Roku, in the left-hand column, go down to Accounts. That's just above settings. Since the apps supports multiple logins, ensure you are logged in to your account, and if you have two, ensure it's the one you're expecting. Highlight your account and look at the email address.

Next, while that screen is still up, open your Web browser and go to YouTube.com. In the top right, click on your image. The image, name, and email address should match exactly. Not almost match, exactly match.

If that's the case, on your browser, go to "Liked Videos" (left column, under "Library"). Then, on your Roku, launch a new YouTube video. Doesn't matter which one, as you can remove it from history if you wish to later (vis the Website).

While the video is playing, press UP once, which should hi light the "Play" button on-screen. LEFT arrow over to the "More" icon (three vertical dots) and press OK. RIGHT arrow over to the "Like" (thumbs up) icon, then press OK. It should turn from white to blue.

Now, back on your browser, you should still be on the "Liked Videos" page. Refresh the page. CTRL-F5 from Windows, or COMMAND-R from Mac. The video should appear at the top of the list.

Were you previously doing it any other way? If so, did this way work? If so, great.

If not, it's time to re-install the app. And, there's a right way and a bunch of wrong ways. Here's the right way:

1. Log out of the app on your Roku. (For YouTube: From Accounts, highlight your name, then click "Remove From TV")

2. Remove the app from your Roku.

3. Reboot the Roku. Most people omit this step. Most people are wrong.

4. Add the app to Roku.

5. Log in to the app.

After you have logged in to the app, verify again, using the steps listed earlier. Then repeat the "Like" process and see if it works. Let us know if it's working. If so, let us know what step made the difference, if you can tell. That would be helpful to others as it helps identify a steps that's non-intuitive.

If it doesn't work, let us know and perhaps someone else can offer assistance.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
OpenGNU
Level 7

It's a new TLC Roku TV, on a good network, that has been logged into Youtube, on the same account as my computer. My phone, tablet and computer all can like, but the Roku doesn't stay liked, either when looked at from any other device, or when revisiting the video on the Roku. The app has no settings related to this and the Roku is up to date. This has been an ongoing issue since I bought this TLC Roku, but I assumed it would be fixed in an update. I have asked my friend, who has a TLC Roku on a different network by a different IP, and he has the same issue.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"OpenGNU" wrote:
It's a new TLC Roku TV, on a good network, that has been logged into Youtube, on the same account as my computer. My phone, tablet and computer all can like, but the Roku doesn't stay liked, either when looked at from any other device, or when revisiting the video on the Roku. The app has no settings related to this and the Roku is up to date. This has been an ongoing issue since I bought this TLC Roku, but I assumed it would be fixed in an update. I have asked my friend, who has a TLC Roku on a different network by a different IP, and he has the same issue.

I don’t see where you tried the reinstall I suggested. 
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
OpenGNU
Level 7

That was the first thing I tried, but is a BS option like saying (turn it off then on again). LOL
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"OpenGNU" wrote:
That was the first thing I tried, but is a BS option like saying (turn it off then on again). LOL

No, it's not. If you search the forum here, it's fixed many a problem. I doubt you tried it as you consider it a BS option.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
DBDukes
Level 10

"jeffrok" wrote:
"OpenGNU" wrote:

No, it's not. If you search the forum here, it's fixed many a problem. I doubt you tried it as you consider it a BS option.

And I'm doubtful that you did the reboot between the remove and reinstall. Many who don't put stock in this suggestion will either skip the reboot, or do it before or after, rather than in-between. But hey, my Roku works. It saves my YouTube likes. I'm not the one with an issue.

I'll attempt to help someone who seriously wants help. For you, I'm outta here. Jeffrok might be willing to work with you going forward. You need to listen to him. He's been around a while and knows his stuff.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
OpenGNU
Level 7

I have to tell people to try rebooting your computer, make sure it's plugged in and other crap every day at my work... so yes I have tried the stupid stuff. Anyway, don't get pissed because my issue isn't fixed with simple user error fixes. But if you don't know of anything better to try, then by all means, don't comment. I was hoping that someone with some real skill could help identify the issue with the TLC TV version of the Roku software, or at least I could find a few people having the same issue so I could file a bug report.

So basically, I posted an issue that effects Youtubers and Youtube as a platform. Do to the assumptions of one moderator, the post was moved to a rules section and an automatic response was given. Then I was blasted for what was another assumption by people who wouldn't have been able to help anyway. So I guess the users of TLC will just never be able to support the videos they like. You don't have to leave the discussion, as I'm out of this forum. I will try contacting TLC instead, and hopefully they will be more apt to find a solution to this issue than this forum.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

You don't own a TLC TV, you own a TCL TV.

Bye.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Btw, you're totally wrong to think that the company that made your TV (TLC).will be able to help you with a Like button in a Youtube app that they had nothing to do with creating. Either stay here and we can work on the problem like adults, without snark, or you can leave..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos