Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Youtube aspect ratio issue on Roku Express+

Somebody on a YouTube video of a PS3 aspect ratio comparison in 16:9 output even said this comment:

“This is useless because YouTube plays the entire video in 16:9 mode.”

Well, if the new YouTube app for the Sony PlayStation 3 plays the 4:3 videos in 16:9 mode, when set to 4:3 instead of 16:9, there is the internet browser feature and it probably supports YouTube’s website. That may display 4:3 YouTube videos properly in 4:3 mode while set to 4:3.

I thought the issue only occurs on the RCA connection of the Roku models, does it really only occur on Roku models with RCA connection? If so, you guys can try the Sony PlayStation 3 and try the YouTube app on it.

~Jordan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Or you can try the Microsoft XBox 360, although i don’t know if both of them support a lot of streaming like the Roku models do.

~Jordan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

YouTube on Roku actually runs on a Google platform called Cobalt (https://cobalt.foo/) which is essentially a lightweight version of the Chromium web browser, used for the YouTube app on Android and other platforms as well.

YouTube displays 4:3 videos properly over composite 4:3 on both Xbox 360 and PS3, just checked on both. But I'm not sure either uses that Cobalt platform.

It's a real shame that Roku players that support 4:3 can't properly display one of the largest archives of 4:3 video...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@misterjosel wrote:

YouTube on Roku actually runs on a Google platform called Cobalt (https://cobalt.foo/) which is essentially a lightweight version of the Chromium web browser, used for the YouTube app on Android and other platforms as well.

YouTube displays 4:3 videos properly over composite 4:3 on both Xbox 360 and PS3, just checked on both. But I'm not sure either uses that Cobalt platform.

It's a real shame that Roku players that support 4:3 can't properly display one of the largest archives of 4:3 video...

Thanks! I’ll probably try the Microsoft XBox 360 and the Sony PlayStation 3 since the YouTube app for them continues to display 4:3 videos properly filled over the 4:3 signal. It’s a shame the app for the Roku only supports 16:9, unless Roku communicates the issue with them to see if they can resupport 4:3. Doesn’t even matter that the issue is due to 4:3 being an obsolete aspect ratio nowadays, the way 4:3 videos display on the YouTube Roku app when set to “4:3 standard” via Settings > Display type is completely useless, and unwatchable for some reason. The way they display on the app for some game consoles with 4:3 signal and RCA output is way better than that.

~Jordan

Highlighted
Level 11

It's time for Roku to do something about this and communicate the issue with youtube. Instead of standing idly by completely ignoring this topic and this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Also send YouTube a complaint if you haven’t already: https://www.youtube.com/tv/feedback

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@Emissary35 and @misterjosel, send me the complaints that you posted on the YouTube complaint page. Mine was this:

”4:3 YouTube videos are squished and pillarboxed vertically at left and right sides (making them crop to a tall square) when the roku is set to “4:3 standard” via Settings > Display type, and that is acting like the signal is 16:9.”

Please send me the complaints you both posted on YouTube’s complaint page.

~Jordan

Highlighted
Level 11

@Michelle3 

Thanks for the link to youtube in order to complain about the issue. This is what I posted to them.

"I am having a very annoying issue on my Roku Express+, the youtube app displays 4:3 video squished inward at the sides, and adds black pillar box bars on the sides of the screen where the left and right edges of the video should be, basically treating the video as if the player is on a 16:9 setting forcing sidebars.

This issue occurs only when the Roku player is hooked up to TV's through the composite (red, white, yellow) audio/video wires. This happens on 4:3 CRT Televisions, as well as on 16:9 widescreen TVs with the a/v input set to "Standard" 4:3, which effectively makes it a 4:3 television on that input until switched back to "wide". The Rokus are correctly set to "4:3 composite" in the settings but this doesn't make the 4:3 videos display correctly. The only videos that do display correctly are 16:9 ones.

This is a youtube only issue, any other app like Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, or Amazon Prime that plays 4:3 video will fill the screen as it should.

This is unacceptable and needs to be fixed!"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@Emissary35 wrote:

@Michelle3 

Thanks for the link to youtube in order to complain about the issue. This is what I posted to them.

"I am having a very annoying issue on my Roku Express+, the youtube app displays 4:3 video squished inward at the sides, and adds black pillar box bars on the sides of the screen where the left and right edges of the video should be, basically treating the video as if the player is on a 16:9 setting forcing sidebars.

This issue occurs only when the Roku player is hooked up to TV's through the composite (red, white, yellow) audio/video wires. This happens on 4:3 CRT Televisions, as well as on 16:9 widescreen TVs with the a/v input set to "Standard" 4:3, which effectively makes it a 4:3 television on that input until switched back to "wide". The Rokus are correctly set to "4:3 composite" in the settings but this doesn't make the 4:3 videos display correctly. The only videos that do display correctly are 16:9 ones.

This is a youtube only issue, any other app like Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, or Amazon Prime that plays 4:3 video will fill the screen as it should.

This is unacceptable and needs to be fixed!"

Nice complaint! It’s a shame that when the Roku models with RCA output are set to 4:3 standard instead of 16:9 widescreen via Settings > Display type, the YouTube app for it only supports 16:9 pillarbox for 4:3 videos, never 4:3 fill, so they falsely act like the signal is 16:9 by containing squishing and pillarbox bars vertically at left and right sides. You need to resolve the YouTube aspect ratio issue please, Roku!

~Jordan

Highlighted
Level 7

So which Roku Express+ model should I try that doesn’t have this issue? Do all RCA equipped Roku Express+ models have this same issue?

~Jordan

0 Kudos