Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dachay2tnr
Level 7

Youtube TV

I just signed up for the YouTube TV free trial. I was able to install the app successfully on two of my Rokus, but the 3rd (Roku 2 - 2720x) does not seem to have the app available for it. My first inclination was this device was not powerful enough to run the app. However, I can launch the channel using my iPhone to cast to the Roku 2. I was even able to register the device this way, and to continue to use it even after shutting my phone off.

In other words, the app appears to run fine on this device; except without having the app actually installed, I have no way to launch it except via my phone.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to get the Yiutube TV app on my Roku 2. (Please note this is NOT the YouTube app, it is the YouTube-TV app - i.e., live television).
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Youtube TV

The maker of this channel (Google) determines what devices it runs on. This is true of all channel developers and all channels.

The model 2720 device may actually be powerful enough to support the channel, but if Google determines it's not (perhaps they have strict minimum specs), then it won't show in the Channel Store for that device.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
dachay2tnr
Level 7

Thanks @basil. Disappointing though. I guess I’m stuck launching via my phone. It is on the sluggish side, but perfectly useable until I eventually upgrade the Roku 2.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

You’ll find the new devices are *much* faster than your device. When your Roku 2 heads out to pasture, you’ll be pleased with its replacement.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Mikenz
Level 7

basil got it right. similar situation we have a couple old gen 1.0 chromecasts that can't handle 4k so they no longer get used. when we ditched dtv and started with streaming and going back to ota that's when i discovered the hardware though only a few years old & even with updates, just couldn't handle most current vid apps. it is in part why we purchased the premiere + this last year. the hardware it has i expect to hold up for a few years with regular software updates. 

that said at least the new roku express stick is inexpensive starting under $30 new and can handle everything. i saw several open box roku's (2017 express model) on amazon for just $25. so if that helps get you watching where you want. good luck to you no matter!
0 Kudos