Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snowseff
Level 8

Youtube TV is barely usable?

I'm curious if anyone else is having trouble or seeing lots of bugs with Youtube TV.  Here's the problems I have: 

1) When I click on a show that's currently being recorded, that it alternates between going live or starting from the beginning. Inevitably it starts live when I want to start from the beginning, and it starts at the beginning when I want to go live. There's no option to do one or the other and so you have fast forward or rewind in 15 second increments (which is tough for a 2 hr baseball game or or tennis match).  Often when I finally rewind or fast forward to the spot that I want, the video is unable to move past buffering. 
2) It routinely goes through buffering problems whereas most of the other majors (HBO, Showtime, Amazon) do not 
3) It's difficult to remove the info screen - when you press down, up, or back to try to watch the channel, the info screen just resurfaces 1 second later.

Obviously I should just cancel the subscription, but I'm wondering if anyone has figured something out.   

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Youtube TV is barely usable?

I have had YTTV for several weeks, and it has been flawless for me. The interface takes awhile to get used to, but that's the case for all the live streaming/mini-cable TV services. I have done trials on all those services except for Philo, and I find YTTV to be hands down the best-performing one of the bunch. I have yet to suffer through a buffering pause or a load failure or any other problem that seems to be rampant among the other services.
0 Kudos
snowseff
Level 8

Good to hear there are some positive experiences.  

A couple of other bugs - when I load the app, or progress through the menus, or start a TV show, the screen is more often than not is black, even as the audio plays.  To remedy this, pressing down arrow typically works to bring back video.  If the show gets stuck with the menu open, pressing the back adjacent to the home button works most of the time.  

Other grievances - the 10sec rewind button sends you back to the TV guide.  The amount of time for a fast forward or rewind depend on the length of show - so a long show moves back and forth 15 minutes (longer than a commercial break).  
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"snowseff" wrote:
...the 10sec rewind button sends you back to the TV guide.  The amount of time for a fast forward or rewind depend on the length of show - so a long show moves back and forth 15 minutes (longer than a commercial break).  

Roku doesn't have a "10-second rewind button." There is a "Replay" button that many apps use to rewind 10-30 seconds, depending on the app. But some apps use it as a "restart from the beginning" button (Amazon, for example), while YouTube TV appears to, based on your report, take you to the guide.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos