Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jaboy
Level 7

Re: Youtube TV Streaming Quality

I recently signed up for Youtube TV and one of the immediate things I noticed was that the picture quality wasn't as good as the other streaming services I use(Philo TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc).

I use a Roku 3 btw with a 60 megabit internet connection.  I called Youtube TV support and they were not able to help.

First thing we noticed was that on all the channels on the Youtube TV app (ESPN, etc), the streaming quality  says its limited to 720p as per the app even though the rep says the app should have options going up to 1080P. The app doesn't show that. I deleted the app and reinstalled and with the same result.. Not sure why that is since my TV is 1080P and that Roku display type is also set to 1080P. Netflix, Amazon and Philo TV all look great, however, Youtube TV just looks "okay" on all the channels. 

Any suggestions on how to fix?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
NightHawk
Level 8

I tested Youtube TV last month with several Roku models.
With some older Roku units like the 3600 Roku Stick (2016 model) it was limited to 720p/60fps max with live channels, 1080p was offered only for some vod titles that were 1080p/24fps.
However with newer Roku units like the newer 3800 Roku Stick, 1080p/60fps was offered for many live channels.  Some channels like Fox networks, ESPN, ABC/Disney are only 720p from the source so those are not 1080p live for any device.
Also 4K Roku units like the Ultra and the Stick+ also provided 1080p/60fps for many live channels on Youtube TV, they also offer a full 1920x1080 viewport according to the "stats for nerds" display.

I've found with the newer Roku units Youtube TV provided the highest video quality especially for my local HD channels available there, compared to Hulu Live, DirecTV now which I also tried trials last month.  DirecTV Now is pretty close but many of Youtube TV's features such as DVR are more advanced so I ended up choosing Youtube TV though it could use a few more channels that the other services have.  Philo doesn't offer local channels but does offer the channels Youtube TV lacks for a very low cost $16/mo, so Philo + Youtube TV is a good combo.  Philo however doesn't have an android app you have to use a chrome browser with android devices with that and it doesn't allow you to select the streaming resolution to override the automatic selection which is important when using it with a smartphone with limited monthly data.  Youtube TV does allow for reducing the resolution on their android app however.
Roku Ultra 4640R, Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jaboy
Level 7

Thanks for  your response.  So it seems that my Roku 3 does not support anything over 720p on Youtube TV which is odd since Netflix, Amazon Prime and Philo seem to support 1080p easily and that is why for me, the picture quality on those services seem much better for me than Youtube TV. I did check the "stats for nerds" and every channel showed 720P on Youtube TV.

Its okay for now but I think I will definitely invest in a Roku Stick + to see how much better the picture quality is on Youtube TV. Both Roku.com and Amazon.com are currently sold out of the Stick + so I may try Best Buy/Walmart when I am on the road tomorrow.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jaboy
Level 7

I just checked and some programs on VOD does stream in 1080P. However, All of the live channels I checked only show 720p as the maximum bit rate.

One thing I did that made a big difference in the picture quality on Youtube TV was to change the streaming option from "Auto" to 720p. The picture quality did improve quite  a bit with this.

I will still upgrade to the streaming stick  + since I want the best possible streaming bit rate.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
NightHawk
Level 8

"jaboy" wrote:
I just checked and some programs on VOD does stream in 1080P. However, All of the live channels I checked only show 720p as the maximum bit rate.

One thing I did that made a big difference in the picture quality on Youtube TV was to change the streaming option from "Auto" to 720p. The picture quality did improve quite  a bit with this.

I will still upgrade to the streaming stick  + since I want the best possible streaming bit rate.

Yes what I saw was vod shows 1080p at 24fps worked but not live 1080p with the older Rokus.
2017+ models needed for youtube tv live 1080p
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jaboy
Level 7

Thanks all. I went to Walmart today picked up the Roku Streaming stick plus + for $60. Now, I am seeing alot of Live channels in 1080P.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jaboy
Level 7

"gnussbaum" wrote:
No stuttering so much but a lot of the channels are running at 30 FPS instead of 60 FPS. Sports in particular look worse at the lower frame rate.

I wonder if Google/Youtube has plans to fix this? With Google and its resources/infrastructure, it has the potential of creating a "superior" TV streaming network  with the the best streaming quality, best DVR, local channels plus plenty of sports at a reasonable cost.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
NightHawk
Level 8

"jaboy" wrote:
"gnussbaum" wrote:
No stuttering so much but a lot of the channels are running at 30 FPS instead of 60 FPS. Sports in particular look worse at the lower frame rate.

I wonder if Google/Youtube has plans to fix this? With Google and its resources/infrastructure, it has the potential of creating a "superior" TV streaming network  with the the best streaming quality, best DVR, local channels plus plenty of sports at a reasonable cost.

That old post was from about a year ago, since then Youtube TV has improved a lot.
Youtube TV now has 60fps on all the live channels that I've tried including all the major networks with sports like ESPN, CBS sports, TBS and TNT, etc.
Fox and Disney-based networks like ESPN however only broadcast in 720 60fps, which Youtube TV provides, and others it has in 1080p 60fps for live.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jrr
Level 7

I found some Youtube TV shows were 'choppy' but would smooth out if I switched the HD setting from 1080 to 720 or vice-versa.

BUT just recently I found most / all movies I played were choppy and I couldn't get them to smooth out and after some checking, I found I had the roku on a 30FPS port, so the fix was to switch the HDMI cable to the 60 FPS port and now those movies play smoothly.  Unfortunately I have an older Vizio with only 1 60FPS port and I was using it for the game.  I guess it's time to buy a new(er) TV.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jyde64
Level 7

I was having the same issues. The advice given worked.

0 Kudos