Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mike7
Level 8

Re: Youtube TV Streaming Quality

"bozzy" wrote:
"mike7" wrote:
Trying out Youtube TV, but streaming quality is bad. Stuttering, as in many dropped frames. Anyone else?

Roku Ultra btw.

Disable Auto detect under Display Type. And set it to 4K 60 hz (or whatever your TV supports) but not HDR. For some reason having it set to HDR mode causes all kinds of stuttering.

This did the trick, thank you!
The frame drops/stuttering is gone. That said, overall picture quality is still  worse than any other app. SlingTV, NBC Sports, all look significantly better. That is very disappointing, hopefully Google figures this one out at some point.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
beq
Level 9

Re: Youtube TV Streaming Quality

I recently did a quick check of the stats window in YouTube TV on Roku.  Curiously the NBCUniversal properties such as NBC Sports, Olympic Channel, and my local NBC (all of which were streaming the Olympics) are 1080p30.  Other 1080p30 include Time Warner/Turner properties such as CNN, and CBS Sports and my local CBS.

On the other hand, the Disney and Fox properties (such as all the ESPN and Fox Sports channels as well as my local ABC and Fox) are 720p60.

Is this an optimal breakdown? I wonder if they’ll get to 1080p60 for everything, or jump to 4K/30...
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Youtube TV Streaming Quality

"beq" wrote:
I recently did a quick check of the stats window in YouTube TV on Roku.  Curiously the NBCUniversal properties such as NBC Sports, Olympic Channel, and my local NBC (all of which were streaming the Olympics) are 1080p30.  Other 1080p30 include Time Warner/Turner properties such as CNN, and CBS Sports and my local CBS.

On the other hand, the Disney and Fox properties (such as all the ESPN and Fox Sports channels as well as my local ABC and Fox) are 720p60.

Is this an optimal breakdown?  I wonder if they’ll get to 1080p60 for everything, or jump to 4K/30...

When OTA TV converted to the ATSC standard, they had two options for HD broadcast resolution: 1080i and 720p. 1080p was never considered for broadcast TV in North America at the time because it would have had to have been 30 fps, instead of 60. ABC and Fox both opted for 720p60, claiming the progressive image was better for sports. Almost all of the others went with 1080i for the higher resolution. I believe PBS might also have gone with 720p. Remember that Disney now owns ABC, so that could be why they are 720p as well.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
bozzy
Level 9

Re: Youtube TV Streaming Quality

"beq" wrote:
I recently did a quick check of the stats window in YouTube TV on Roku.  Curiously the NBCUniversal properties such as NBC Sports, Olympic Channel, and my local NBC (all of which were streaming the Olympics) are 1080p30.  Other 1080p30 include Time Warner/Turner properties such as CNN, and CBS Sports and my local CBS.

On the other hand, the Disney and Fox properties (such as all the ESPN and Fox Sports channels as well as my local ABC and Fox) are 720p60.

Is this an optimal breakdown?  I wonder if they’ll get to 1080p60 for everything, or jump to 4K/30...

Youtube TV isn't really changing the original resolution that these networks broadcast in. Pretty much all Disney (ABC, ESPN) and Fox (Fox, FS1, FX, etc) networks broadcast in 720p60fps. Almost all other networks broadcast in 1080i30fps. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Emissary35
Level 10

Re: Youtube TV Streaming Quality

I noticed starting yesterday my Roku Ultra got downgraded to the older youtube app version that had long since been updated. Anyone else have this issue?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
beq
Level 9

Re: Youtube TV Streaming Quality

Thanks for the info atc98092 and bozzy.  So if I understand correctly, the TV networks (via ATSC 1.0 OTA, and I assume traditional cable/sat carriers) have been transmitted at either 720p at 60 frames/sec, or 1080i at 60 fields/sec (which gets deinterlaced to 30 frames/sec in today's TVs/receivers).

The question is, which live TV OTT services re-encode at which qualities?  From a baseline of 720p30 (below broadcast transmission quality), various streaming services seem to have been upgrading to 720p60, or 1080p, for some content.  Some of this seems to even exceed the broadcast transmission framerate?

See:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/08/hulu- ... orts-fans/

https://www.fomopop.com/guides/live-tv-streaming/specs

"FOMOPOP" wrote:
All of the services stream in 720p HD resolution, with some services testing certain channels in 1080p HD.

There is a bigger difference in video frame rate between the services, but this feature really only impacts the clarity of sport streams because it minimizes motion blur.

DIRECTV NOW and PlayStation Vue have 60 fps on most tested channels; fuboTV has 60 fps on major sports networks.

Hulu Live TV, Sling TV, and YouTube TV stream at 30 fps [OUTDATED?]. Hulu and Sling announced higher frame rates for later this year.


"HULU" wrote:
Due to the dependencies required to enable 60fps, we’ll be rolling it out in phases...

...in time for the 2018 Winter Olympics and March Madness (NBC and Turner channels, respectively).

Phase1 60fps channels:
CNBC
CNN
CNN International
HLN
TNT
TBS
TCM
TruTV
USA
Cartoon Network
Adult Swim
All SHOWTIME channels
NBC Sports
Olympic Channel
All of our available NBC affiliates

About half of our available FOX affiliates

*individual FOX/NBC affiliates may temporarily revert back to a 30fps version in order to bring you the most stable playback stream.

Phase1 60fps devices:
iPhone/iPad
Apple TV
Xbox One
Fire TV
Samsung Tizen TV
Nintendo Switch
[NO ROKU YET]


For example, Hulu Live just started doing 60 frames/sec this month including local NBC, NBC Sports, CNN, TNT, etc.  Does this mean NBC natively provides a progressive 60 frames/sec national feed, even if all NBC affiliates end up broadcasting at an interlaced 60 fields/sec (via OTA and traditional cable carriage)?  Or is Hulu Live doing their own motion smoothing/interpolation beyond the native NBC feed?

I also assume that no OTT service actually streams with interlaced video, so for example YouTube TV deinterlaces any 1080i feed to provide a 1080p30 stream?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
beq
Level 9

Re: Youtube TV Streaming Quality

"Emissary35" wrote:
I noticed starting yesterday my Roku Ultra got downgraded to the older youtube app version that had long since been updated. Anyone else have this issue?

Interesting, I wonder if the selection of app UI is tied to the YouTube account, or independently set for each device?  None of the devices with YouTube app logged in to my wife's account have updated to the new interface yet...

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=109968
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Emissary35
Level 10

Re: Youtube TV Streaming Quality

"beq" wrote:
"Emissary35" wrote:
I noticed starting yesterday my Roku Ultra got downgraded to the older youtube app version that had long since been updated. Anyone else have this issue?

Interesting, I wonder if the selection of app UI is tied to the YouTube account, or independently set for each device?  None of the devices with YouTube app logged in to my wife's account have updated to the new interface yet...

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=109968

That link you provided, the second images showing the new UI is the one I've been using on my Roku Ultra since I purchased it in early December, only my cable set top box is was still running the older youtube UI. Now suddenly in the past couple of days my Roku Ultra is back to the version in those first images and it's a much worse experience. I don't know why this would occur because I wasn't experiencing any problems on the new UI so I can't imagine why youtube would force a rollback. If anyone has any info on how to force an update back to the new version I'd greatly appreciate it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
merritt3
Level 7

Re: Youtube TV Streaming Quality

I just got the Roku Ultra to use for YoutubeTV on one of my televisions, and there must be something wrong specifically with the Roku Ultra.  Youtube TV works perfectly fine streaming in HD on my xbox, computer and even the Roku streaming stick.  I have the Roku Ultra plugged in via Ethernet connection.  So there's no reason it should be worse than the streaming stick which is on wireless.

The ultra also isn't sending a Dolby DIgital signal either, despite selecting the setting in the options.

Otherwise, Youtube TV seems to be great.  It'll save me atleast $75 a month once I get rid of the cable boxes.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
bozzy
Level 9

Re: Youtube TV Streaming Quality

"merritt3" wrote:
I just got the Roku Ultra to use for YoutubeTV on one of my televisions, and there must be something wrong specifically with the Roku Ultra.  Youtube TV works perfectly fine streaming in HD on my xbox, computer and even the Roku streaming stick.  I have the Roku Ultra plugged in via Ethernet connection.  So there's no reason it should be worse than the streaming stick which is on wireless.

The ultra also isn't sending a Dolby DIgital signal either, despite selecting the setting in the options.

Otherwise, Youtube TV seems to be great.  It'll save me atleast $75 a month once I get rid of the cable boxes.

Did you disable the Auto Detect display setting on the Roku and set it to 60 Hz manually? There is currently a bug that causes issues when the display type is set to auto. I use Youtube TV on multiple devices and the Roku display quality is no worse than Chromecast, Shield TV, or Apple TV.
0 Kudos