Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike7
Level 8

Youtube TV Streaming Quality

Trying out Youtube TV, but streaming quality is bad. Stuttering, as in many dropped frames. Anyone else?

Roku Ultra btw.
38 Replies
gnussbaum
Level 7

Re: Youtube TV Streaming Quality

No stuttering so much but a lot of the channels are running at 30 FPS instead of 60 FPS. Sports in particular look worse at the lower frame rate.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

What's your internet speed?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
VegasJoe
Level 7

"mike7" wrote:
Trying out Youtube TV, but streaming quality is bad. Stuttering, as in many dropped frames. Anyone else?

Roku Ultra btw.

Same issue for me on my Roku Ultra. Internet speed is 25mb and the other streaming services like Netflix and Hulu work without issue. Going to try Hulu Live TV for a month and see if that's any better.
atc98092
Level 13

One thing about YouTube that I have observed compared to Netflix and Amazon. YT will stream at much much higher bitrates than the others. I have seen 4K streams with bitrates higher than 40 Mbps, and even standard 1080 over 20 Mbps. They don't seem to adapt their rates as well as the other sites for slower connections. I haven't tried YT TV, but it's most likely streaming about the same.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
bozzy
Level 8

"mike7" wrote:

Roku Ultra btw.

Disable Auto detect under Display Type. And set it to 4K 60 hz (or whatever your TV supports) but not HDR. For some reason having it set to HDR mode causes all kinds of stuttering.
8traxrule
Level 7

I tried YouTube TV on my LG TV and all channels were also in the wrong frame rate, plus no 5.1 sound.
0 Kudos
bozzy
Level 8

"8traxrule" wrote:
I tried YouTube TV on my LG TV and all channels were also in the wrong frame rate, plus no 5.1 sound.

Did you disable HDR? There is a bug in the app that messes up framerates when HDR is enabled on the Roku.
8traxrule
Level 7

It wasn't on a Roku unit, it was the YouTube TV app in my LG TV. The regular YouTube app in it plays most, but not all videos in 60fps (and conversely my new Roku Stick + plays the ones the TV won't play in 60fps, but not the others! I posted separately about that.)
0 Kudos
mike7
Level 8

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll try the suggestions tonight.
0 Kudos