Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Psilobite
Level 12

Youtube - No longer able to search

Start YouTube, move to "Search", nothing appears, select "Search", entire screen blank except for icons on left side and YouTube logo in upper right.

Tried resetting the app, removing and re-adding the app, reformatting the micro SD card, nothing solves the problem.

First noticed today.

YouTube premium costs me $11.99 per month. I expect search to work.

Roku 4660X running 10.0.0 build 4209-46

YouTube app version 2.21 build 94005087

Just tested the YouTube app on an older web TV and search works fine there.

Both Roku and the older web TV show the same YouTube version within the YouTube app - web_20211003_10_RC00

Seems to be a Roku problem?

18 REPLIES 18\
Psilobite
Level 12

Re: Youtube - No longer able to search

Some more info:

I switched to using Google's DNS and the Search section now appears in the YouTube app.

However, search history has disappeared. It now only shows the same search "suggestions" that would show if no user was logged in. The shown search terms have little flame icons to the left of them.

It would appear that static.doubleclick.net must be unblocked in the DNS to now make YouTube search appear at all in the YouTube Roku channel. However, personal search history now appears to be disabled.

None of this affects the YouTube app on my older smart TV. There, search continues to work as expected, and shows personal search history.

So again, it appears to only affect the YouTube app running on Roku. The app versions shown internally by YouTube on my older smart TV and the YouTube Roku channel match, as I indicated above (web_20211003_10_RC00).

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Psilobite 

From what I'm reading, you have an ad blocker in place. If you turn that off, does everything work again?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Synastar
Level 7

Same here.  It's ridiculous that the search function would depend on static.doubleclick.net connectivity in order to function.  Roku Ultra (4800 series) 

FordPrefect
Level 7

I'm having the same issue, no longer able to search. I'm not using an ad-blocker on my network, but it hasn't been set to use Google's DNS service either. 

I agree that if this issue is due to static.doubleclick.net not resolving, that's pretty unacceptable. Doubleclick is often blocked for safety & security, as it is a frequent source of abusive spam. Not only is it common to find it inaccessible, but there's often not much end-users can do about it. 

I can't think of any reason YouTube search would need doubleclick's services anyway, since Google tracks search history at the account level & that history access is one of the permissions we have to grant when signing into YouTube on Roku.

With the increasing number of streaming service subscriptions one would need, to watch most new shows, YouTube is the main reason I use Roku at all. YouTube is probably 99% of my Roku usage. 

Suddenly losing the ability to search YouTube eliminates much of the usefulness of this device & I haven't yet been able to fix it (started yesterday).

If I can't search YouTube I may end up replacing the Roku with a Linux device or an old phone.   : (

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
FMM
Level 7

Yes, I noticed that the YouTube search is no longer working on any of my Roku's, have three.

Thought it might be ad blockers, have a Pi-Hole for the entire network, along with uBlock origin on the PC's.

On the PC's with uBlock and the Pi-Hole enabled the search works with both FireFox and Chromium browsers.

My thoughts are as someone else mentioned the gOOgLE did something for the Roku app.

Though it should DEFINITELY work if you are a paid subscriber to YouTube.

Bad gOOgLE, bad yOUtUBE!

0 Kudos
DennisFaucher
Level 7

Awesome. I whitelisted static.doubleclick.net I'm my pi-hole and now Roku YouTube search works. Thank you. 

Qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm

0 Kudos
CalvinE
Level 7

Can confirm the Roku YouTube app is apparently sending your searches to static.doubleclick.net and search breaks if you have (wisely IMHO) blocked the doubleclick domain/IPs.

I don't agree to send my searches to anyone but YouTube/Google and that's bad enough anymore.

Doubleclick is a privacy risk.

Doubleclick has been busted serving up malware in the past so I consider it an unnecessary securtiy risk and would never whitelist/allow it on my network.

Since the YouTube app just gets worse and worse, I explored another idea. Just use my phone to "cast" things to the smart tv using the Firefox app.  Works great! OMG is so nice to only have to put up with a much more reasonable one ad per video and the phone becomes my remote. 

Thank you to YouTube and Roku for motivating us to find a better way to watch videos without ridiculous bugs and the ever increasing ads.  Hint, you have become your own worst enemy. 

0 Kudos
BustersBoy
Level 7

Same problem here, suddenly no youtube search menu on my Ultra. I am running Pi-Hole on my network and can confirm that whitelisting static.doubleclick.net will "fix" the missing search menu.

I also lost all my earlier search history and that has not returned with the whitelisting.

I have Pi-Hole for a valid reason, and Roku has no need to require a link to, in my opinion, a known bad actor.

Unless I can roll back to an earlier update, or Roku removes the need for the link to static.doubleclick.net, my less than a year old Roku has become useless for the majority of my viewing. Lacking a quick resolution,  Roku has lost my business. 

0 Kudos
ralphie_suzy
Level 9

Roku mods deleting posts about this too? I'm back here posting again because I had the same problem. I tried setting Google as one of the DNS to no avail…I'm not allowing doubleclick through. A bit convoluted but we used my phone, NewPipe YouTube front end Android app and cast it to the TV. A pain in the rear, no thanks to Google.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
0 Kudos