Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GLR
Level 7

Youtube Issues with Thumbnails and Subtitles

Jump to solution

Recent updates to the Youtube App (web-20210406_04_RC00) cause video to start playing in the thumbnail after five seconds instead of looping. Three things then happen even when the video is not opened for viewing: the video is logged in history, subtitles are displayed at 300% of normal size filling the whole screen and if the video is in HDR all thumbnails will be displayed in HDR if you setup supports it.

In addition, videos will default text size at 300% every time you switch to a different category. You then have to manually reset the font size. Setting the default font size in the Roku System Setup has no affect on the problem.

This does not appear to be a problem on other platforms such as Android, LG WebOS, web browsers, etc that I have tested.

My current setup: Roku Ultra 4800X S/W: 10.0.0 build 4185-C2

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GLR
Level 7

Re: Youtube Issues with Thumbnails and Subtitles

Jump to solution

Uninstalling and reinstalling Youtube fixed the problem. The new version is web_20210502_09_RC00. I am surprised that it was not automatically updated in the weeks the problem existed. Even when I manually checked in system update it always showed up-to-date.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 16

Jump to solution

@GLR wrote:

Recent updates to the Youtube App (web-20210406_04_RC00) cause video to start playing in the thumbnail after five seconds instead of looping. Three things then happen even when the video is not opened for viewing: the video is logged in history, subtitles are displayed at 300% of normal size filling the whole screen and if the video is in HDR all thumbnails will be displayed in HDR if you setup supports it.

In addition, videos will default text size at 300% every time you switch to a different category. You then have to manually reset the font size. Setting the default font size in the Roku System Setup has no affect on the problem.

This does not appear to be a problem on other platforms such as Android, LG WebOS, web browsers, etc that I have tested.

My current setup: Roku Ultra 4800X S/W: 10.0.0 build 4185-C2

YT/YT TV apps have platform (external) versions and UI versions (internal).  Platform version differences account for most differing functionality/behavior between different platforms. 

Regardless of whether its a platform or UI app update its all coded/developed/published by Google, and you'll need to contact them.

0 Kudos
GLR
Level 7

Jump to solution

Uninstalling and reinstalling Youtube fixed the problem. The new version is web_20210502_09_RC00. I am surprised that it was not automatically updated in the weeks the problem existed. Even when I manually checked in system update it always showed up-to-date.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Jump to solution

@GLR wrote:

Many apps have a modular/multi-layer design, with a platform layer that provides platform-specific functionality/enhancements (e.g. Enabling HLG/HDR 10 output on the Roku app, or enabling usage of the Magic Remote on the WebOS (LG) app), and a UI layer that provides UI functionality/enhancements (and updates to the UI).

(You can check the platform version of any Roku app by highlighting an app and pressing the Options (*) button).

Not all apps have a platform version that differs from its UI version, but some do (like Google's YT apps).

The version you are referencing is the internal (UI components) version which updates independently at run time (downloaded from YT's servers), not the external platform (platform components) version that updates via the Roku updater (downloaded from Roku's app servers).

So when you are updating via Roku's UI (Settings/System/System updates/Check now), that updates the platform components version.   When you load the app, the app downloads a UI components update from YT's servers that loads on top of the platform components.

Regardless, uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling is the way to correct many app specific issues - keep in mind that if you also use YouTube TV, if you remove it to fix an issue, it may not reinstall due to the current Roku & Google dispute.

GLR
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for your explanation. I will add uninstalling and re-installing to my checklist for troubleshooting apps from now on.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Jump to solution

@GLR wrote:

Thank you for your explanation. I will add uninstalling and re-installing to my checklist for troubleshooting apps from now on.

Just don't forget to RESTART between uninstalling and reinstalling for Roku devices:  Remove, RESTART, Reinstall

0 Kudos