Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimJWatts
Level 7

Youtube HDCP error - some videos, no graceful downgrade?

Hi - I'm after any words of wisdom you good folks might have...

I've just been playing through some major AV nonsense just now :evil:
Roku Streaming Stick+, Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar, Samsung UE48JU6400 TV - all less than 3 years old...

1) TV will not pass 5.1 down optical cable if input is HDMI (that's a fact - another forum confirmed);
2) Soundbar can only handle HDCP 1.4.
3) So to have any chance of stuff working, Roku is jacked into Soundbar and good quality HDMI cable off to the TV.
4) Amazon Video plays "Sherlock" the movie fine at 4k + 5.1 (Soundbar can display what it's seeing);

But - and here's the gotcha: Some YouTube videos are demanding HDCP 2.2 and the Roku, *rather* than downgrading to 1080, is just shoving an error screen. Obviously I have the Roku output forced to 4k/60Hz as it does indeed report this "problem" during Display auto setup.

Is there anyway to tell it to just downgrade on a per app or per content basis, as and when it needs to (it's YouTube, no-one really cares - I just want my Amazon content to play and sound nice)?
Obviously, it would be stupid to downgrade in the Roku Settings when *much* content is happy to play...

Or shall I raise a support call with Roku?

The irony is that Amazon don't seem that bothered and they have the fancy licensed content. The YouTube video is just some dude who likes talking about living in China  Smiley LOL

Cheers Smiley Happy

Tim
0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Youtube HDCP error - some videos, no graceful downgrade?

1. This is an issue with many TVs, unfortunately.
2 & 3. while it is certainly a reasonable request for Roku to add such functionality, Roku will never announce in advance what new features might be coming. Your only recourse is to replace your soundbar with something with HDCP 2.2 support. This could be another soundbar or an AVR with separate speakers. 
4. I don't think Amazon requires a 4K 60Hz connection, so HDCP 1.4 will work. As long as it's 24 or 30 Hz, HDCP 1.4 works. To my knowledge, Netflix requires 2.2, so you wouldn't get those to play either.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
TimJWatts
Level 7

Ah - so maybe I should try forcing the Roku to 4k@30Hz ? I might not notice the difference... I do have a partial workaround, in that I can use the TV's inbuilt AV unit, but that's not exactly a fast or impressive experience, hence the Roku.

Cheers and thanks for the tip re: 4k@30Hz. 

EDIT: Sadly that didn't work - any 4k mode forced on the Roku will still get the HDCP error  Smiley Sad

I was also wondering, if this problem gets any worse (ie Amazon) if a splitter like this (but not necessarily this specific model) : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NA6FVBA might be a solution and feed the signal off to the TV and Soundbar directly. Cheaper than a new bar... I'm wondering if such splitter can be reliable though as the point of HDCP is to prove a clean signal path for DRM purposes. Maybe it will still baulk when it sees one device only supports 1.4?

<Rant directed at studios and AV manufacturers>
But yes, when I have a system where all the components *can* do their job, all but a protocol who's sole function is to stop me watching content, then I'm going to say "This is so much BS". 3 year old components... I work with tech (not AV to be fair) and 3 years ago I did not appreciate the relevance of HDCP 2.2 - what chance as Joe Average Punter got?

In 1950 odd my old man built a vacuum tube amplifier with a 1V PP input that would work with the phone on my desk, my Macbook, my laptop - that's compatibility right there  Smiley LOL
</Rant>
0 Kudos
TimJWatts
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
This could be another soundbar or an AVR with separate speakers. 

Just so I understand this: you're suggesting in effect to dump the Roku in favour of a functionally similar device that has direct sound output? And presumably there are AVRs with S/PDIF audio outputs that feed soundbars?
I also just wondered: Is there such a thing as an HDMI 4k/HDCP2.2 audio breakout that could split off 5.1 to S/PDIF optical... Not lifting the ARC (that's also only stereo in my case or I would have used that) but decoding the main signal? I'm unclear whether Samsung refused to send 5.1 down the S/PDIF because they were required to by licensing, or whether they just made that decision unnecessarily?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"TimJWatts" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
This could be another soundbar or an AVR with separate speakers. 

Just so I understand this: you're suggesting in effect to dump the Roku in favour of a functionally similar device that has direct sound output? And presumably there are AVRs with S/PDIF audio outputs that feed soundbars?
I also just wondered: Is there such a thing as an HDMI 4k/HDCP2.2 audio breakout that could split off 5.1 to S/PDIF optical... Not lifting the ARC (that's also only stereo in my case or I would have used that) but decoding the main signal? I'm unclear whether Samsung refused to send 5.1 down the S/PDIF because they were required to by licensing, or whether they just made that decision unnecessarily?

No, I was suggesting either replacing the soundbar with one that supports HDCP 2.2, or instead using a full AV Receiver and speaker array. The soundbar of course takes less space and might cost less, but you would have more flexibility with an AVR that supports the latest audio codecs and provides HDMI inputs and switching. The AVR itself could be much less than a soundbar, but adding new speakers might (and likely would) make the total cost higher than just a replacement soundbar.
I am unaware of any AVR that has an optical output. Line level out with some, but an AVR is designed to provide both the processing and amplification sections of your audio chain, so there would be no need for an optical output. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
TimJWatts
Level 7

Understood - but there's no way I'm dumping a 3 year old piece of kit... I'll see if I can find some "workarounds"  Smiley LOL
0 Kudos
Eddy555
Level 7

I was getting this a lot when I had chroma subsampling set to 4:2:2. Seeing it back to 4:2:0 fixed it for me.
0 Kudos