Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CJ_45
Level 7

Youtube Channel not working on Roku Express+ 3910RW

Hello,

I own the following Roku device:

• Model: 3910RW - Roku Express+
  • Serial Number: YGH00H9665700
  • Software version: 9.3 Build 4170-51
  • Device ID: C537AH665700

Since May 2020, the YouTube Channel no longer launches on my device because I get the following error message: "YouTube cannot launch because there isn't enough space on the device. Please remove some channels and try launching the app again." I performed various diagnostics: uninstalled the channel/reinstalled the channel, remove channels to try and launch the app, and rebooted the device in-between each time I made changes to my device when either reinstalling/uninstalling the YouTube channel. To no avail, the app does not launch.

Since July 28, 2020, uninstalling the YouTube Channel and reinstalling it to launch it causes my Roku to freeze and I have to perform a hard restart on the device. No other channel app does this on my device. Just the YouTube app. Up until May 2020, I never ran into any issues with the YouTube channel running on my Roku Device. .

I work my Roku device on an older TV that uses composite ports since this ROKU device model launches properly on this kind of TV.

Can customer service on how I can fix this issue or how you all are fixing this issue? I believe it's something on Roku's end and it's probably a fix that needs to occur with the YouTube app. 

With my device model, how do i check how much storage is on my device? I'm curious about this since the error message showed this on several occasions when trying to launch the YouTube app.

Thanks,

CJ

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Youtube Channel not working on Roku Express+ 3910RW

@CJ_45 

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend removing any unused channels on your Roku device including the Youtube channel, then trying to perform a factory reset on your device. After you setup your device again, try adding the Youtube channel back again to see if the issue is resolved.

For more information about how to try to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
CJ_45
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R, Could you tell me how I can check the space on my Roku Device before i go about resetting my device?

Thanks

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

@CJ_45 wrote:

Hello,

I own the following Roku device:

• Model: 3910RW - Roku Express+
  • Serial Number: YGH00H9665700
  • Software version: 9.3 Build 4170-51
  • Device ID: C537AH665700

Since May 2020, the YouTube Channel no longer launches on my device because I get the following error message: "YouTube cannot launch because there isn't enough space on the device. Please remove some channels and try launching the app again." I performed various diagnostics: uninstalled the channel/reinstalled the channel, remove channels to try and launch the app, and rebooted the device in-between each time I made changes to my device when either reinstalling/uninstalling the YouTube channel. To no avail, the app does not launch.

Since July 28, 2020, uninstalling the YouTube Channel and reinstalling it to launch it causes my Roku to freeze and I have to perform a hard restart on the device. No other channel app does this on my device. Just the YouTube app. Up until May 2020, I never ran into any issues with the YouTube channel running on my Roku Device. .

I work my Roku device on an older TV that uses composite ports since this ROKU device model launches properly on this kind of TV.

Can customer service on how I can fix this issue or how you all are fixing this issue? I believe it's something on Roku's end and it's probably a fix that needs to occur with the YouTube app. 

With my device model, how do i check how much storage is on my device? I'm curious about this since the error message showed this on several occasions when trying to launch the YouTube app.

Thanks,

CJ

i have the exact model of Roku as you, but my YouTube channel works just fine.  And I updated it to OS 9.3. 

0 Kudos
CJ_45
Level 7

@C_I  does your model have the Composite hook up or HDMI where the YouTube app is working?

--CJ

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

I have an HDIMI hookup.  The YouTube app has nothing to do with the hookup, as that is a website that is available on Roku as an app. 

0 Kudos
UI-Designer
Level 9

I am running into this SAME issue too on my Roku Express+ 3910RW using composite port when trying to view YouTube (get error message "Can't run channel" "... not enough space...") along with Apple TV not loading (will load to 100% and then return to the Home screen without loading).

I removed YouTube, restarted my Roku device, and then reinstalled YouTube, but same issue still exists. I also made sure I am using the Default Theme pack.

Please, please Roku try to fix this huge and VERY annoying issue and please work with Google too if the issue is with their YouTube channel code!! 

And if this is not a bug in RokuOS, then when the "Can't run channel" message appears, instead of only giving the "OK" choice, please also give a choice to view which channels are taking up most of the space so we can try to focus on removing those channels.  Thanks!

Please do not keep ignoring this issue, Roku, and please STOP blaming the user -- you, Roku, are ultimately responsible for the user experience.

Did you ever find a solution, CJ_45?

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

@UI-Designer wrote:

I am running into this SAME issue too on my Roku Express+ 3910RW using composite port when trying to view YouTube (get error message "Can't run channel" "... not enough space...") along with Apple TV not loading (will load to 100% and then return to the Home screen without loading).

I removed YouTube, restarted my Roku device, and then reinstalled YouTube, but same issue still exists. I also made sure I am using the Default Theme pack.

Please, please Roku try to fix this huge and VERY annoying issue and please work with Google too if the issue is with their YouTube channel code!! 

And if this is not a bug in RokuOS, then when the "Can't run channel" message appears, instead of only giving the "OK" choice, please also give a choice to view which channels are taking up most of the space so we can try to focus on removing those channels.  Thanks!

Please do not keep ignoring this issue, Roku, and please STOP blaming the user -- you, Roku, are ultimately responsible for the user experience.

Did you ever find a solution, CJ_45?

They generally tell users to contact YouTube or Apple TV directly for problems assistance on these types of issues as Roku is just the server for these channels. They do not maintain them or own them. 

0 Kudos
UI-Designer
Level 9

Re: Youtube Channel not working on Roku Express+ 3910RW: What is Best Way to RESOLVE this?

@C_I wrote:

They generally tell users to contact YouTube or Apple TV directly for problems assistance on these types of issues as Roku is just the server for these channels. They do not maintain them or own them. 

Wow, that is really sad Man Sad and sounds like Roku is passing the buck, especially for such a mainstream channel as YouTube!  I would assume people at Roku would have more inside connections with YouTube and Apple than we would. 

Does Roku at least provide a LINK on how to best contact YouTube? 

I do provide feedback almost daily to YouTube via my Roku Express+ 3910 Device > YouTube > * > "Give us feedback" > "Channel failed to launch/load/start."  Is doing this any good or are there better places to give Roku / YouTube feedback?

I'm concerned YouTube will blame Roku or even worse, me, for this issue.  I already see Roku blaming users from comments I see from Danny. Please stop the blaming and please, Roku, try to fix this problem.  Thank you! 

Is the YouTube channel still working for you, C_I, on your Roku Express+ 3910, even on Software version 9.4.0 build 4190-51?  If so, how many channels do you have installed?  Have you ever run into issues launching YouTube on your 3910?

YouTube used to work in the past for me on my 3910 (and still works on my Roku 3, which is an older device), but stopped working, I think, around Roku OS 9.3.  My thought is maybe Roku's updated software is taking up more space, thus causing the "not enough space" message -- only Roku can fix this. At least for now, Roku can add a Setting that lists which channels are taking up most of the "space" and how that space is being used -- maybe some channel is having a memory leak?

0 Kudos
UI-Designer
Level 9

Re: Youtube Channel not working on Roku Express+ 3910RW. Is it Working for Anyone on 3910?

@C_I wrote:

Does Roku at least provide a LINK on how to best contact YouTube? 

I do provide feedback almost daily to YouTube via my Roku Express+ 3910 Device > YouTube > * > "Give us feedback" > "Channel failed to launch/load/start."  Is doing this any good or are there better places to give Roku / YouTube feedback?

Is the YouTube channel still working for you, C_I, on your Roku Express+ 3910, even on Software version 9.4.0 build 4190-51?  If so, how many channels do you have installed?  Have you ever run into issues launching YouTube on your 3910?

YouTube used to work in the past for me on my 3910 (and still works on my Roku 3, which is an older device), but stopped working on my 3910 around Roku OS 9.3, I think.  My thought is maybe Roku's updated software is taking up more space, thus causing the "not enough space" message -- only Roku can fix this. At least for now, Roku can add a Setting that lists which channels are taking up most of the "space" and how that space is being used -- maybe some channel is having a memory leak?

0 Kudos