Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

YouTubeTV Won't Start

Jump to solution

YouTubeTV channel won't load on either of my two Roku Express. I start the app and the home screen shows recently viewed shows but no live video.

The app will freeze, go black, crash. It just doesn't work 

I've uninstalled the channel & restarted my Roku, then re-installed (didn't work). I've reduced the load on my WiFi (didn't work). 

Basically, YouTubeTV won't work, at all. Every other app is fine. This seems to be a common problem that neither YouTubeTV or Roku care to fix 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: YouTubeTV Won't Start

Jump to solution

I have three Rokus, one is 9.3.0, the other two are 9.2.1. Only one of them plays youtubetv without any problems -- on the others, it hangs up when loading (you can watch the red line start to go across the top, and then it stops). I exit youtubetv, load it again, do that several times, and if I let it sit for a while, sometimes it miraculously comes on of its own accord. I don't have that problem with the one that is 9.3.0. I checked for updates on the other two, and it told me that I am up to date on both of them. I have removed the app, reinstalled it, and the same problem continues--if I want to watch something on youtubetv, I need to try get the station going about 15 minutes before it starts, and spend that quarter hour in frustration trying to get it to work.

I see others have similar problems--has anyone found a solution that works?

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem.  Went so far as to do a factory reset on one device and it still won't work.

Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

I'm seeing a lot of these complaints, which seem to be from people who's Rokus have updated to the 9.3 version of the firmware.  You can check your version via Settings > System > About.

I don't have 9.3 yet so I have no experience with it myself.  Several people with various problems after receiving the 9.3.0 update have reported success via the suggestions in the first paragraph of this post:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/Roku-Streaming-Stick-remote-fails-after-new-system...

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks - I gave it a shot (the reboot - rest - reboot) but didn't help with this issue.  I have version 9.2.1 and the problem seems to be isolated to the YouTubeTV channel.  It's frustrating that it's worked up until the last few days and I'm hoping Roku and/or YouTubeTV will take notice

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I wanted to update since we fixed this problem. We had to reset our home modem and now YouTube TV is working again. 

Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution
Thanks for reporting back. I wish more people would do this.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@mollymcl I'm glad that worked! Unfortunately didn't get the job done for us.

I've submitted the problem to YouTubeTV, talked with their rep, sent a screenshot of my connection speed, and they're supposedly passing along to the engineers.

I'm guessing this issue is due to a YouTubeTV update, maybe not Roku. Either way, it's a daily frustration!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

ROKU Express 3930X Not Working for You Tube TV

Jump to solution

We have an older Roku that works perfect with You Tube TV and bought 2 Express 3930X that will not work and freeze everytime on You Tube TV app only.  Any other app works fine.  We tried removing you tube app, rebooting Roku Device and adding You Tube TV back on.  No luck.  We took the older Roku device to other TVs to make sure no internet connectivity issue and it worked fine.  It's obviously the Roku 3930X not compatible for You Tube TV.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have three Rokus, one is 9.3.0, the other two are 9.2.1. Only one of them plays youtubetv without any problems -- on the others, it hangs up when loading (you can watch the red line start to go across the top, and then it stops). I exit youtubetv, load it again, do that several times, and if I let it sit for a while, sometimes it miraculously comes on of its own accord. I don't have that problem with the one that is 9.3.0. I checked for updates on the other two, and it told me that I am up to date on both of them. I have removed the app, reinstalled it, and the same problem continues--if I want to watch something on youtubetv, I need to try get the station going about 15 minutes before it starts, and spend that quarter hour in frustration trying to get it to work.

I see others have similar problems--has anyone found a solution that works?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Update: both Roku Express updated to version 9.30 4170-AE and the problem seems to be resolved (for now!)

Pay attention to your updates and hopefully 9.3 will arrive soon

0 Kudos