Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

YouTube

YouTube app isn’t starting, tried to remove it but when I’m trying to reinstall it won’t appear anywhere under streaming channels.

5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: YouTube

@Dibz wrote:

YouTube app isn’t starting, tried to remove it but when I’m trying to reinstall it won’t appear anywhere under streaming channels.

When you uninstall, you must reboot the Roku. If you don't do that, it doesn't actually uninstall. Also, don't forget that when you reinstall it, the icon will be at the bottom of the grid, likely off screen quite a ways if you have lots of channels installed. 

What model Roku do you have (number, not the name)? 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

My Youtube app is loading, but nothing is playing, and I get no sub-menus. Details posted here, with no favorable responses: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Youtube-not-acting-right-not-playing-anything...

My ROKU Info:
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@mrjlturner wrote:

My Youtube app is loading, but nothing is playing, and I get no sub-menus. Details posted here, with no favorable responses: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Youtube-not-acting-right-not-playing-anything...

Usual question: have you removed, rebooted, and reinstalled the channel? While I don't have a Premiere+, I do have a Premiere, two Ultras, and two Roku TVs, and YouTube is fine on all of them.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

"When you uninstall, you must reboot the Roku. If you don't do that, it doesn't actually uninstall. Also, don't forget that when you reinstall it, the icon will be at the bottom of the grid, likely off screen quite a ways if you have lots of channels installed. "

the message that helped me is above.. now its working fine. 

Highlighted
Level 10

UPDATE #3: Finally figured it out. My firewall was blocking web advertisements. So, I temporarily put the affected ROKU in a bypass group, and cleared cache on the ROKU, then re-launched Youtube. Once Youtube came up, I was able to sign in, and then I removed the ROKU from the bypass group on my firewall, once again blocking web advertisements, etc. This fixed my issue.

UPDATE #2: So, the below process worked for one of my Premier+ devices, but not the other Smiley Sad I've now done the process twice, and the 2nd one just doesn't want to cooperate. Not sure why the oddity?

UPDATE: To answer your question, yes, I did do that, multiple times.

BUT...today I did something a little different, and it actually worked! So, today when I uninstalled and pulled the power, I let it sit for a few hours unplugged, rather than the typical 15 seconds or so. After plugging it back in, and reinstalling the same version (version number verified) it actually works! So, apparently there is some sort of capacitor in the ROKU that holds some RAM for some period of time greater than 15 seconds?

So, apparently we just need to update the instructions and add lots of PATIENCE into the mix Smiley Happy

I appreciate the follow-up from the community!

Cheers!

@mrjlturner

My ROKU Info:
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime
0 Kudos